Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vortex temp question...too hot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vortex temp question...too hot?

So i just got a vortex and the weber grill plate that has the removable center. Currently doing a burn in and the built in thermometer on the kettle is maxed out. Ive read other vortex threads here that dont seem like they would reach anywhere near that temp. I know the built ins arent exactly accurate but maxing it out is still damn hot.

Is this normal? Too hot for chicken? I used about a 3/4 full chimney of kingsford lump briquettes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	21F8193C-6819-4780-ADAF-7C260A3160B7.jpeg
Views:	166
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	526744

Comment

Oh yeah, I have buried my thermo on my KEG. Like over 850 F. You can wrap that dial easily.

Comment

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        good to know. guess ill have to put a probe on there just to check.

First get a grate probe in there. If you’re going by the bi-metal gage it’s probably way off. I’m cooking chicken around 450-500* with that exact setup.

Also be sure to wrap foil around the outside of the vortex at the bottom grate. It will channel more air into the vortex and help with the mess.

Comment

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman it was ur cherry bomb chicken thread that inspired me to pick these up. 30 bucks each you cant beat it if i can get the same results as you.

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Good info about the foil around the Vortex. I’ll Try that next time I use it. Thanks.

• FishTalesNC
        FishTalesNC commented
        Editing a comment
        Man I wish I read that an hour ago! 😂

mebbe jus too many coals lit from th git go? I agree to not trust th bi-metal thermo overmuch....

Comment

so i put a grate probe in there. settled at around 487 with no foil. guessing thats good for chicken per Troutman

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah let her rip. With those temps the chicken will cook fast and you’ll get some great crispy skin.
          Oh btw where in Jersey are you? I’m about 30min outside of the NYC.

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          Im in monroe. Just south of east brunswick new brunswick area

When you use it to cook with you will still want to use your vents to control the temperature

Comment

Time will tell

Name:	0CAB078F-94BB-4958-9AC4-0A2BD818EF63.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	526848

Comment

Literally never doing any other way for chicken again. Click image for larger version  Name:	13FD307A-B627-41E3-883C-AD0FA7901781.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	4.20 MB ID:	526906Click image for larger version  Name:	E1F194CE-7DC7-44F1-A523-73BA5329C8F0.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.48 MB ID:	526905

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Vortex!!!!
              Beautimous Job, Brother!

Grill ran around 480 and they were done in 35 mins. Crispy skin to the max

Comment

Two thumbs up !!!!

Comment

Thanks for starting this topic, grantgallagher . My Troutman -inspired vortex arrived a few days ago. Won't be able to play with it until the end of the month, due to travel commitments. So your photos, along with Troutman's originals, are inspiring.

Kathryn

Comment

• pknj
                  pknj commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I did the same thing after the Troutman post! I hope he gets a referal!

I love the vortex. And the foil around it is the way to go for clean up. It almost goes without sayingg that the a lesser amount of coals is the way to go to help control temps along with using the vents at 50% or so if you don't want it so hot. I also can tell you on my 22" that the thermo is about 25 degrees off from my probe. I have the same set up with the grate with the hole and it is a great way to cook chicken.....

Comment

Name:	5ECF18EB-D711-4E94-A7C6-D2935351E61A.jpeg
Views:	184
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	527753

Name:	E5D095C4-DBD7-41A1-AAAB-00324883BE42.jpeg
Views:	203
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	527752

Name:	1E799D80-5077-4FBB-AF34-C8703418BC38.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	527754 Top built in thermo pegged, but grate level reads about 430F, which is right about where I wanted it (all vents wide open)

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Dragon's Wing! Love Mine!

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wonderful!! Have you tried it with a fan yet?

• Polarbear777
                    Polarbear777 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not with the fan yet. Not sure it’s needed.

If I do get over 500 I don’t know what I’d cook until I got to 800+ for pizza. Which I don’t think I’ll get.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here