Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SNS, kickash basket or new cast iron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SNS, kickash basket or new cast iron?

so my kettle premium deluxe is all of two weeks old and I am considering a SNS. Is it necessary? trying to talk myself into either the SNS, a kickash basket for our BGE , or the Field Brothers Cast Iron pan. Appreciate everyone's thoughts.

I mean what do/would you use most?

If you use or use the kettle more then I would say SnS… which is where my vote would be anyway.... but I don't have a BGE so I don't know....

Comment

• Jon Liebers
      Jon Liebers commented
      Editing a comment
      I use by BGE, Weber premium deluxe and even the Napoleon gasser. Weber is newest.

im only familiar with the sns, I have 1 for my weber 22 kettle and I love it. Necessary...no your could get about the same results with some fire bricks and a water pan. that being said I would buy another sns in a heartbeat, it just makes the kettle an even better and more versatile cooker. I never take the sns out of my kettle Click image for larger version

Name:	20171028_185757.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	520269

Comment

+1 sns

Comment

Where’s the debate here? The answer is yes. Don’t hesitate. Do it now!
        That’ll be 19.95 + tax for the advice.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Man you work cheap.

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Troutman, thanks for the counsel, I will proceed with the adjusting of my fees. 100% ya think?

SnS. It’s an easy decision IMO.

Comment

S&S. It transforms the kettle completely. Aside from its value in creating a simple way to go low and slow, it also creates three different sized cookers: a small (just the S&S zone), a medium (the other side with the S&S in) and a large (S&S out completely).

I have a BGE, and while the Kick Ash Basket looks awesome, I don't really have any problems with the BGE that it would solve.

Comment

• Jon Liebers
            Jon Liebers commented
            Editing a comment
            hey sounds great. Just curious, what cooks do you prefer the kettle to the BGE and vice versa? I got the kettle for fun and two zone as its just a little bit of a pain to do two zone in my BGE

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            The kettle is easier for burgers and dogs, I fill the S&S and do them over that. Low and slow, butts and brisket? BGE all the way. Ribs, either one. But both are capable of turning out fantastic 'Q.
            Last edited by Mosca; June 22, 2018, 11:34 AM.

Here's another vote for the SnS.

Comment

My only response is: YES YES YES
            You need them all

Comment

ok SNS for 22" weber premium deluxe ordered.. Thanks all.

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Spoken like a man. Now onto the next purchase.

Sweet.
              Now which one are you going to get next??🤔

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Maybe consider the Stargazer 10. The handle is very unique & marvelous to work with every day.

• Jon Liebers
                Jon Liebers commented
                Editing a comment
                I just figured the stargazer handle is too long for the Lg BGE to close.
                Last edited by Jon Liebers; June 22, 2018, 02:00 PM.

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Lodge makes a nice round cast iron plancha thingie that works great in the BGE. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Admittedly I don't know anything about the kick ash bucket and I've never cooked on a kamado. I will tell you that using cast iron skillets and pots on the grill is a LOT of fun.

Comment

• Jon Liebers
                Jon Liebers commented
                Editing a comment
                whats your favorite cast iron? and why

• JeffJ
                JeffJ commented
                Editing a comment
                Jon Liebers. I have a cast iron skillet, a cast iron wok ( for the Weber Gourmet BBQ System) and a cast iron pot (Bayou Classic). I don’t have a preference. I like them all.

If you have a BGE, why do you need the SNS? If you need two zones, go slow on the BGE and sear on the Weber. But then, I've always wanted some better cast iron...

Comment

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                If you want 2 burgers and 2 dogs, half fill the S&S and you're there, instead of firing up a full BGE.

Each tool is better at some things than the other. You can work around the shortcomings of each... but one way of working around their shortcomings is to have both!

Perfect world is to have a gasser for when you don't feel like waiting, but let's not go there! (Start the coal earlier!)

• Jon Liebers
                Jon Liebers commented
                Editing a comment
                Need? this has nothing much to do with need. Just fun and different. shortcoming of BGE is 1- two zone is a pain, 2-takes long time to get up to temp and clean smoke, 3- temps move like a locomotive, if you over shoot takes a while to come back down, BGE also has many positives as well. Will still be my go to especially during NJ winters.

All three should stay on your wish list, but if you can only get one I would lean to the SNS.

Comment

SNS first and the rest ASAP!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here