Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow N Sear Ver 2.0 coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow N Sear Ver 2.0 coming

Just got an email from Dave:

Turn a “basic” Weber kettle into the most versatile outdoor cooking machine on the market – indirect slow cooking, high heat searing, roasting, baking…you can have it all with Slow ‘N Sear!

Available starting tomorrow with the first 200 getting a special engraved limited edition.

Being able to move the water reservoir is pretty cool.

Comment

That was good news!

Comment

The the claimed larger capacity just the size
        of the water pan?

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          The way it looks is that the water tray sits inside the SnS and is removable. It has the same outside dimensions, but you can remove the water pan.

I like the removable water pan and the air flow looks better than the plus, but it seems the changes were made largely for mass production rather than quality improvements. 430 stainless steel is a lower grade (cheaper) and maybe more likely to rust over time. The change in to rivets also seems more like a cost saving/mass production choice that may not hold-up as well over time. I think I would get the original while you can if you want one....but that's just me.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
          Hulagn1971 commented
          Editing a comment
          Dave said they did make these changes to keep up with production, they could not keep up. It will be interesting to see how well the new units hold up over time.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I feel the same way, and emailed a friend who has been putting it off recommending he get the original while he can.

Doesn’t thrill me none. I will continue to used the original.

Comment

I don't hate it. But I'm glad my original one is going last as long as I'll be around to use it.

Comment

Interesting. I was planning on getting a SnS. Should I get the old one while it's still around? What's the real advantage of the removable water reservoir? Easier cleaning?

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              If the bottom panel is too restrictive for you, do what I did and drill out some extra holes and open it up a bit. Start with a few, can play with it and do more. Original plus is going to be very hard to beat.

• OSB
              OSB commented
              Editing a comment
              Troutman Do you mind showing some pics of what your drilled out SnS looks like? What drill bit did you use?

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              I have a titanium step drill bit ($8 at HD). Just center in an existing hole and drill out as much as you want. I didn’t go crazy, just did about 6 to like 1/2” or so. If that doesn’t do it I’ll do a few more.

Just ordered the original.

Comment

I have an original that I use frequently and find nothing wrong with or anything I would improve. Question is: If keeping up with production is an issue, how much longer are you going to be able to find an original?

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                The FAQ on their website says they will only sell the original and plus models until existing inventory is sold out.

Wish I was given the option when ordered mine 3 weeks ago.

Comment

I like the new base plate. A bit less impressed by the removal water reservoir. I would still lean towards the original or the plus for the better quality stainless steel.

Comment

Glad to see ABC still being innovative and working on perfecting and expanding their product line.... however.... I’m still more excited about the thermometer they partnered with Maverick on!

Comment

My only concern is I have a lot of cheapskate friends with kettles, that balked when the price tag went from $89 to $99 (they just bundled in the shipping). Now the entry price going to $126 may be enough to slow sales to where they can keep up. I hope they keep getting orders at the same rate or faster, but for a lot of people, going above that $99 price tag is a magic barrier that will reduce sales opportunities.

Comment

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I’ve thought the same since day one. I love the SNS, innovative game changer, but cringed at the price point. But hey, I’ll give Dave his just reward.

• jfmorris
                      jfmorris commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Right, I am afraid this new price point may lead more to consider alternative "charcoal management" devices such as the vortex. My local buddy who was putting off getting a SNS for his Performer told me last night he is going to try to order the $99 one today, and if they are out, he is just going with the Vortex instead, which goes for $40 for a medium (the size recommended for a 22" kettle).

• jfmorris
                      jfmorris commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Personally I think its worth every penny even at $126, just pointing out that it will be a barrier to a lot, who won't want to spend as much an an accessory as they might have on the kettle itself.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here