Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will a SnS help me learn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will a SnS help me learn?

Hello everyone

I'm currently assembling my first charcoal bbq setup. I selected the 22" Weber Kettle as my weapon of choice. One accessory that seems to be massively popular is the SnS. I've watched countless videos and read the reviews and it looks awesome.

I just have this lingering doubt that I'm better off without it, at least at first.

Will I learn more with fire bricks or trying to be creative on my own? Does anyone out there view their experiences without the SnS as invaluable?

Thanks,
    Mikey

I would say get one. You might as well learn it from the get go, it is very convenient. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

I have had a Weber kettle for the last 40 years of and on and I bought a SNS last fall and it greatly improved what I was doing, the verseitly that it gives is awesome, I now make pizza , great pulled pork cold grate seared steaks with out a problem, I also bought a hover grill for doing the pizza and hotter cooks

Comment

Its definitely worth getting. My view is your wasting your time trying to be more creative.

Comment

You should get one. Especially to learn. It'll provide easy two zone cooking and a water reservoir for low/slow and warp 10 heat for sear. Plus you have a lot of experienced people here to help you with it.

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

My suggestion is to go at it in every way eventually. I have fire bricks a Smokenator which was the gold medal standard a few years ago and recently splurged on an SnS full setup for my new Kettle. Look at them all as tools in the shed. Each one has its upside and downside. Depending on what I have going on depends what I use. Your tools and grills will begin to expand if BBQ becomes something you develop a passion for. Fire bricks are a cheap way to get started and how I got going. You are in the right place to learn and the folks here will help you every step of the way. Jump in with both feet and get cracking.

Comment

By all means get the SnS, it changed how I cook with my kettle. You can always experiment from there, but make that your baseline point.

Comment

I would get it. Without it, sure - you can do the same thing with creative use of drip pans and bricks, but why bother? What you are learning is the process of slow cooking to make BBQ, or perfecting a high heat sear for the perfect steak. If its a budgetary issue, sure - wait a month or two. Otherwise, I would get it.

I've cooked on kettles for many years without the SNS, and have only had one since last November, and the Drip 'N Griddle since January. Both have gone a long way to making my grilling and smoking on the kettle more hassle free, and I wish I had known about it years ago. I've done things with the DNG such as frying stuff on the grill with it as a griddle that I would not have thought to do before.

Comment

It does simplify things quite a bit when trying to cook low and slow. You can do it without the SnS, but using it eliminates some of the variables that make it hard to control temperature over time.

Comment

I'm going to advise you don't get one. Bear in mind I've been known to advise running with scissors, walking under ladders, and beating oneself over the head with a hammer for the sheer amusement....

Comment

Welcome from Indiana!

Cry once at the price and then enjoy endless results?

Comment

• Mudkat
                        Mudkat commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Nice Nate! Sorta like better to do now, ask forgiveness later!

I've only had a Weber kettle for about 6 months. I tried a few cooks without the SnS before i bought it. I could not have been happier with the purchase. It is an excellently made and superbly functioning accessory. The only advice I will give, if you do purchase it, is to watch the ABC videos about how to light and fill the SnS. I've learned since getting it that its much easier to achieve my desired temps when I follow their techniques.

Enjoy your kettle and welcome to the hell and joy that is MCS. The more you get, the more you'll want. It'll take great discipline, cash, or both.

Comment

• mikey
                        mikey commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I smoked my first pork butt this past weekend with my kettle and SnS. You don't know how many times I thought about your comment. Most of my errors were avoidable if I read the SnS website more closely (I just kinda skimmed it). Again, thank you, great advice. Next smoke will be better.

• Geekandproud
                        Geekandproud commented
                        Editing a comment
                        How did that cook go? Any pics? Out of curiosity, which SnS did you get version 2 or the original?

• mikey
                        mikey commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have a few pictures that I'm going to post tonight. Got the original SnS. Wasn't aware there was a 2nd version. The cook was ok. The pork had a charcoal taste I hate to admit. I think it was because I didn't set up the charcoal properly and put the butt on too soon. I'm looking forward to giving another shot.

Wait, did Dave pay all you guys off? Where's my bribe money this month, I feel cheated? Oh well I'll catch up to him here in a bit, go ahead and buy the SNS. And welcome to the Pit.

Comment

You don't need it, and I don't think it will help you learn, but it does make the kettle into what it should have been from the beginning. When I bought my kettle, I ordered the SnS the same day so they arrived together.

Comment

Why try to reinvent the wheel? Keep yer learning simple.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here