Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seasoning stainless steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seasoning stainless steel

I bought an Easy Spin grate, season it or no? A Google search turned this up https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...&bih=748&dpr=2
    Last edited by Munch; May 16, 2018, 06:02 PM.

I'm not getting anything from your link.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Google Temp.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	500775 Same, linky leads to blank Google search page...

Comment

Thought I would tinyurl it.....NOPE! Fixed now.

Comment

• Munch
          Munch commented
          Editing a comment
          And yes I bought the Easy Spin to assuage the guilt of a Vortex purchase. 😳

Keeping in mind that I basically just make things up, here's my reliable expert opinion:

I don't season stainless steel for the same reason that I don't paint chrome on my car. For one thing, it doesn't need it to prevent rust. And for another, it's actually harder to do because the chrome's smoothness makes it less adhesive for paint. And finally, why would I want to mess up all that shiny chrome?

Same thing applies to your grill:
        You don't need to season stainless steel to prevent rust. The polymerized oils produced by seasoning don't bond to stainless steel the way they do to carbon steel or cast iron, so the benefit of seasoning is less. And it's so easy to clean stainless steel with a wire brush, aluminum foil, or soap and water, why mess around with it. There's just not enough benefit to seasoning stainless steel grates to make it worth the effort. Get the grates good and hot, oil the food, and put it on the grill, then at the end, clean with a wet wire brush while still hot or with soap and water when cool.

I'll be curious to see what actual experts say. (BTW, I recently got an Easy Spin and have used it exactly twice without seasoning.)

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          I think that second paragraph needs to be framed & signed.

No expert either, but I don’t think stainless needs seasoning. Maybe email the good people at Adrenaline BBQ if you want their advice.

Comment

Yeah, huh & why?

Comment

Anything to keep the FireMan happy...
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	500865

Comment

L O L ! Very cool the Rad Dude! Mr. radshop to those in Oconomowoc, WI.

Comment

I do season my SS pans similar to how I do cast iron. But I've never tried seasoning my SS grate.

Comment

I saw several site recommending seasoning of a stainless grill. One suggested using oil before first use, every four months, and end of season. Another suggested using a potato. (No, I did not make that up and quit laughing.) The third suggested oiling before first use and each and every time after using.

Personally, I don't season a stainless grill. Often mine don't even get cleaned. If they do, it is a rub down with a Ringer to knock off the stuck on junk. I let heat burn off the rest and 'sterilise'. I don't care if they aren't pretty.

All I can say to those links is, "Welcome to the Internet" where is seems people have more opinions than they do arseholes. When I bought my PK360 I came across a YouTube video of how to season my new grill by painting the interior with grease before the first cook. Um, excuse me, the food only contacts the grill, why do I need to season the body of grill, which is aluminum. Needless to say I passed on his advice.

Sometimes when something is new we tend to overthink how to use or treat it. Then after some experience we realise that much of it is unnecessary. Like your first child versus your last.

Comment

I have found this site recently and am getting a buddy to weld up a SS griddle for my BBQ. This guy seasons his griddle and has some interesting videos/ techniques. It is a little long but check this out. https://griddlemaster.com/how-to/

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here