Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I like small butts.... (First SNS cook)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like small butts.... (First SNS cook)

Driving by the supermarket and their outdoor sign said... "Bone in pork butt, $1.79/lb" so I made a quick right and a few minutes later, for not even $6 had a nice, er, butt. Salted it up one night, then, because I was not going to be able to cook it the day I thought, I rinsed off the salt after 24 hours. Later that day (yesterday, actually) I spread some Memphis Dust all over it and let it go overnight so it would be ready today.

Plopped the new SNS in my old, original model 22" Weber and followed the directions, then plopped this guy on there:

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_63500.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.23 MB ID:	498598

Still have some learning to do on temps... they went up to 265, but I adjusted things and they sat at 223 for a long while. Trailed off to the 210 range and are now at 185 which is fine because it saves me wrapping it and waiting until dinner time. But, even with that learning, 4 hours later that bad boy above became...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0082.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.61 MB ID:	498600

Dinner should be tasty.
    Last edited by rickgregory; May 12, 2018, 08:28 PM.

Hmmm... definitely tasty but lacking some smoke flavor. Oh no I have to do it again...

Comment

That looks great!

Comment

Why did you rinse the salt off?

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Because it had been on there for 24 hours and I didn't want it to hang out another 24... wasn't trying to cure it
          Last edited by rickgregory; May 12, 2018, 08:45 PM.

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          Most folks leave the salt on for days for a thick cut of meat like a butt to give it time to penetrate deeper into the meat.

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah... ok that makes sense. Next time

As long as you used the correct amount of salt, there is no reason to rinse it off. And you have a nice butt.

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah, well next time ( I have a 3.5lb Berkshire in the freezer).

Wowza, lookin' good!

Meathead has a good writeup on how much salt you need to use, etc.

Comment

If the salt had been applied 24 hours before you rinsed it off there was nothing to rinse. After 1 hour the salt was already 1/4 inch into the meat.

Regardless, that butt looks great - you really nailed your first cook w/ SnS.

Small butts are the way to go. When I buy a larger butt I'll subdivide it into smaller butts in the range of 2.5 - 5 pounds. The stall is a bit shorter and the end result is much more bark.

Comment

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, there wasn't any salt obvious. I was being cautious and didn't need to be.

Honestly, the SNS is pretty easy. The main issue I had was temp 'spiking' to 265 or so early on and it's hard to adjust the bottom vents on the Weber without getting down on the ground and looking up or popping the lid off. I might have lit a few too many coals too.

Don't rinse off the salt. Also, where are you that that is a good price for pork butt. I can usually catch "normal" (non heritage breed) pork butts on sale for $0.99 a lb. Great looking butt though!!! no homo...

Comment

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm in Seattle. Meat here isn't close to the price you can get it for in TX... a heritage (Berkshire) pork butt will run me $6.99/lb.

The supermarket near me does a special on regular old pork butts occasionally. Usually it's pricier, closer to $3.30. I may well grab a small freezer so I can stock up
            Last edited by rickgregory; May 13, 2018, 04:13 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here