Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SnS and Griddle question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SnS and Griddle question

I am doing a large amount of hamburgers for Mother’s Day. Being a procrastinator the SnS just arrived so I have no time to experiment but I have a plan.

1) setup the SnS for sear and get it rolling.
    2) when rolling put the griddle on the grate, close the lid and preheat
    3) sear 4 burgers at a time for a total 8, move to griddle, add sliced cheese, cover and allow to finish cook while the cheese melts
    4) repeat 4 more times

Fresh 1/3 pound chuck burgers about 4” in diameter and 5/16” thick.

i understand that the reverse sear is the preferred method but that leaves the cheese unmelted,not nice and gooey. We are from Wisconsin so we like nice thick chunks of cheese.

Any thoughts or tweaks would be appreciated?

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	497905

I recommend a high-fat meat, like ground chuck. With a high-fat meat and the burgers cooked to 160 internal, searing first should be fine. Your plan sounds good to me.

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree with JeffJ. I have done front sear on burgers with fine results. Definitely at least a 20% fat blend of meat. Take them off at 155, and let the carryover take them to 160.

• Dusty
      Dusty commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed 20%, the grind consists of 75% chuck, 25% sirloin and enough beef trimmings to balance the fat content

You might want a plan to remove some of the grease during mid cook, if you splash too much over the side you may have more fire than you want. Have some gloves and a coffe can and empty?

Comment

Whaddaya mean your from Wisconsin & you like yer cheese gooey? I’m from WI & I don’t give a rip whether it’s gooey or not. Sounds like a good plan, it’ll work for ya.

Comment

Oh, didn’t consider the grease produced during searing or finishing.

I’m starting to worry that the griddle won’t have enough heat to finish the burgers? Think it might be safer to transfer to the gasser for finishing? The cheese better be melted or the in laws, especially the brothers are going to eat me alive. They will for something anyway but I don’t want to hand them ammunition on a platter.

Comment

• Butchman
          Butchman commented
          Editing a comment
          The cheese will melt, just put the lid on if you need to.

Trying a test run.

Name:	9E51D4D6-3AF8-4B6E-8791-7CBF1BD92659.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	498179

Comment

Figuring it was a still frozen 1/4 pound burger with shredded cheese, I’d consider the plan doable.

Name:	image_63418.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	498184

Name:	8D12919D-5E72-4BCD-B4C6-422A3F45B20F.jpeg
Views:	184
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	498186
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Dusty; May 12, 2018, 05:22 AM.

Comment

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            looks like a good breakfast!

Yes to above ? If you put the griddle over the coals you can remove the Burgers to the grill portion (indirect zone) , cover and finish the cheese whilenstrting the next batch.

Since you are not married to any one method here and just want a great tasting burger with melted cheese there is no reason why you can't put all 12 on the indirect side and rotate burgers through the DnG for a sear.

Just keep the DnG hot without a full boat of coals.

Whatever makes your boat float. Sounds like a good time will be had by all with great eats!!

happy cooken!!

Comment

Dusty , Denerally On Hand Patted or Pressed "Thicker" Burgers I Generally Start Them on the "SLOW" SIDE" To +- 125* F, With Themopen MK-4 Instant Read Inserted CrossWay Into the Patty❗️ If You Insert The Probe Vertically You Get False Readings‼️ I Then Will Sear Over Hot Coals‼️ I Don't Use the Griddle for Cooking Only As A Heat And Vent Air Diverter❓❓ The Pics Are Actuall Doind The Same Process Only With My Weber Performer Deluxe and Vortex Accessory‼️ You Are Going to Love Your S 'N S and DRIP & Griddle‼️ THEY MAKE A GREAT SMOKER OD THE WEBER‼️‼️‼️
            👍 👍 👍 👍 👍
            From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	6 Size:	1.54 MB ID:	498210Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	10 Size:	1.93 MB ID:	498209Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	10 Size:	507.3 KB ID:	498206Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	2.08 MB ID:	498211Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	2.37 MB ID:	498212Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	10 Size:	1.68 MB ID:	498207Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	8 Size:	1.07 MB ID:	498208Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	10 Size:	1.09 MB ID:	498213Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	2.17 MB ID:	498216Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	986.5 KB ID:	498215

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	1.06 MB ID:	498223Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	1.16 MB ID:	498219Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.26 MB ID:	498220Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	1.06 MB ID:	498224
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Danjohnston949; May 12, 2018, 06:35 AM.

Comment

32 burgers, 90 minutes, the inlaws were quiet, priceless!

The majority were all medium to medium well, none less than that. Gooey cheese, beautiful grill marks and the flavor... I’ll shamelessly plug the SnS with griddle/drip pan.

No pictures in action but a day after picture showing the results.

Thanks all all for your input.

Name:	BCDE2BC3-EB07-43C9-A769-137066FB4C19.jpeg
Views:	197
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	499780

Comment

Good job!

Comment

Fantastic job! That's a big ol' load of burgers to cook up! Someone had better be handing you beers while you were doing that. Doing that many burgers will keep you quite busy. Great work, and I'm glad you got no snarky in-law remarks. Shows you're doing something right, eh? Keep it up!

Comment

Nice!

Comment

• DWCowles
                      DWCowles commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yep

• Danjohnston949
                      Danjohnston949 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 😃 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      A man of few words, probably sleep surfing

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here