Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Vortex owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Vortex owner

If anyone here is willing to help with a few questions it will be greatly appreciated. I have a Slow and Sear that never leaves my Weber. I use it for reverse searing burgers and steaks and with a rotisserie. I also use for indirect wing cooking and sometimes find hitting 350 a bit challenging. I could start more coals or try to block wind if there is any etc. and the wings are very good....however, the wife likes crispy skin. She eats the wings but always wishes they were crispier. So, I bought a Vortex. Kind of feel like I’m cheating on the SnS😳. Anyway, should I worry about the heat ruining the stock hinged grill grate? Maybe buy an SS Easy Spin to assuage my guilt? Maybe a Weber grate with the removable center? Is any of this necessary? Like I said any tips, tricks or other suggestions will be appreciated.

Just place the Vortex in the center, larger opening down. And use 3/4-1 full chimney of well lit coals and let her rip. It will be fine running the temps @ 400-450*.
    I also place the wings right over the center to give them a char for about 30-45 seconds a side.

Your gonna love your new toy. It works for many things.

Comment

• Fire Art
      Fire Art commented
      Editing a comment
      When do you char your wing first or last

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Fire Art At the end of the cook.

Steve B +1 on what you said! My wife is the same way. She always asks where the crispy bits are if I don’t get them right! Munch , I sort of felt the same way when I first got my Vortex, but you learn that each toy has it’s own uses. Also, if you have the time, you can let the wings sit in the fridge uncovered for several hours to overnight, to help the skin dry out before you cook. That will help get crispier skin.

Comment

• Munch
      Munch commented
      Editing a comment
      I have also tossed them (4-5lbs) with 2 Tbs of baking powder in a plastic bag and let them sit for a few hours. Works very well... I always do 50/50 honey and siracha to finish.

+1 to what Steve B said. The vortex is great for cooking wings. Your grate can handle the heat.

Comment

I love the. Vortex for doing wings. It is a wing cooking machine. Just set it in the center and let it rip. Yes, the great with the hole in the middle is cool, but then you can't set food directly over the fire, which I love to do with my wings to get an extra crispy wing.

Comment

I bought the medium vortex and have seen it lit with 3-4 starter cubes with coals in it. I have both sizes of the Weber chimneys and could possibly pour into the Vortex after they’re lit. Hey, who needs arm hair, right? I have some long welding gloves if need be. Thanks for the help so far.
        Last edited by Munch; May 5, 2018, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah. Use the large chimney 3/4-1 full. And yes welding gloves are very useful.

Temps hovered right around 400 with an almost full large Weber chimney. I will have to adjust cooking time a bit from the SnS, because temps are higher. I use Tyson chicken wings, which are a bit smaller than party wings. I dusted the wings with the buffalo rub that Mad Hunky sent with the Vortex and then used Frank’s Buffalo Wing Sauce. Wings were sprayed with apple cider vinegar every 15 minutes and the lid was turned 45*. At one hour in internal temps were around 185. Skin was nicely crisped. Wife approved.... however, she wished I would have used the honey siracha sauce I normally use. The Vortex is a nice addition to my arsenal.
        Last edited by Munch; May 6, 2018, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here