Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kettle pizza maker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kettle pizza maker

Can someone recommend a good pizza attachment for a Weber kettle 22 inch?

If you decide to acquire one please alert me - there is a bit of a learning curve with it. I've developed a system for it's use and in lieu of reinventing the wheel, please take advantage of the trial-and-error I've already invested.

Comment

Ok will do. It's for a friend who just bought his first Weber. He don't eat meat imagine that. LOL

Comment

I have one. The PizzaQue. It's neat, but the results aren't much different than a pizza stone on the grate. The biggest advantage is that the pizza accessories raise the stone up to the level of the lip of the kettle. Either way it's going to take a long time to make a pizza unlike a dedicated pizza oven. Maybe your friend should give it a go just on the grill first?

Comment

I'll let him know. Thank you.
          are they withw the money? Seems like they are pretty expensive for second rate pizza if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Attjack I disagree with you. I hit 750 at the stone level when heat is at its peak and can crank out a pie in 5 minutes during peak heat. Gotta make sure the stone has pre heated for an hour at least 500. I use the oven or gasser for this.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds like you're doing it right. But couldn't you achieve the same temperature sans the accessory?

• JeffJ
              JeffJ commented
              Editing a comment
              Attjack No, I don't think you can. The reason being is the log needs a LOT of oxygen in order to blaze up and create those temps. That is achieved by the gaping hole in front. Without that and the lid down I don't think temps could reach that high.

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              In the past before I had the PizzaQue I would just crack the lid using the dome thermometer to rest it on. In my experience I got the same results.

I just use the weber charcoal baskets to raise the pizza stone off the grate so it is higher in the dome where the heat is. Get a full SnS of charcoal going with all vents wide open to get the stone heated. When you are ready to cook, top off the SnS with lump, give it a few minutes to get going, close the top vent, put the pizza on the stone, then crack the lip a half inch so it draws the heat up and over the raised pizza. Rotate the pie 180 after a minute, cook another minute (your times might varry!😀) and you are done. Cheaper than a seperate add on.

works great. Got the idea off of a thread from here I will see if I can find.

Comment

I am still working on the Hovergrill to raise the tray (no stone or steel) to get the top heat. But also, the type of dough used is related to what temp you want the stone/grill at. Higher water content can take the higher temps. I tried it on a metal tray from my Firebutler that they call a hibatchi, using it as a steel since it is very thick, and the pizza directly on it but it burned the bottom before the top was cooked. Here is an article that Meathead has on tools and equipment for making pizzas. I am trying to work out how to do it well without spending the $100-$500 on attachments, at least for now.

Comment

I have used a PizzaQue with good results. And it's reasonably priced at Home Depot. The advantage it offers over just the stone on the grate is easy accessibility, in my experience.

Comment

With the Kettle Pizza the grate sits a big higher and it's raised enough that a split can be tossed on top of a half moon of charcoal at the back of the kettle (if you look at my pic at the second post on this thread you can see a fire in the back of the kettle). I preheat the stone for an hour in the oven at 550 before tossing it into the kettle. At peak heat I'll do 4 - 1/4 turns of the pie and it's done in about 5-6 minutes. As the fire wanes cooking times push towards 10 minutes, which is still pretty fast for a pie.

A couple of tricks: Assemble your pizza on the peel and then toss it in the freezer for at least 20 minutes. Make sure you have plenty of cornmeal on the peel before laying out the dough. Get the pizza cold enough and it slides easily off the peel onto the stone. I pull the stone out of the kettle about 1/4. I do this by using a spatula to lift the end of it off the grate and with my other hand I use a pair of tongs to pull it partially out. I do the same thing when I do a 1/4 rotation. Having 2 peels is really nice when making multiple pies. I assemble both and put one in the 'fridge and the other in the freezer. I pull the one out of the freezer first and transfer the second from the 'fridge to the freezer. After cooking 2 pies the split will start to die down. If I am cooking more than 2 pies, after the first 2 are done, I assemble 2 more with the same routine - one in the 'fridge the other in the freezer. This is the only time where more than 1 person is needed. I'll lift up the attachment and ask a guest to place another split on the embers. Once the log really catches and temps shoot up, I'll cook 2 more pies. Wash, rinse, repeat as much as necessary.

It's a lot of fun and the pizzas are a huge hit with the guests.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
                    With the Kettle Pizza the grate sits a big higher and it's raised enough that a split can be tossed on top of a half moon of charcoal at the back of the kettle (if you look at my pic at the second post on this thread you can see a fire in the back of the kettle). I preheat the stone for an hour in the oven at 550 before tossing it into the kettle. At peak heat I'll do 4 - 1/4 turns of the pie and it's done in about 5-6 minutes. As the fire wanes cooking times push towards 10 minutes, which is still pretty fast for a pie.

A couple of tricks: Assemble your pizza on the peel and then toss it in the freezer for at least 20 minutes. Make sure you have plenty of cornmeal on the peel before laying out the dough. Get the pizza cold enough and it slides easily off the peel onto the stone. I pull the stone out of the kettle about 1/4. I do this by using a spatula to lift the end of it off the grate and with my other hand I use a pair of tongs to pull it partially out. I do the same thing when I do a 1/4 rotation. Having 2 peels is really nice when making multiple pies. I assemble both and put one in the 'fridge and the other in the freezer. I pull the one out of the freezer first and transfer the second from the 'fridge to the freezer. After cooking 2 pies the split will start to die down. If I am cooking more than 2 pies, after the first 2 are done, I assemble 2 more with the same routine - one in the 'fridge the other in the freezer. This is the only time where more than 1 person is needed. I'll lift up the attachment and ask a guest to place another split on the embers. Once the log really catches and temps shoot up, I'll cook 2 more pies. Wash, rinse, repeat as much as necessary.

It's a lot of fun and the pizzas are a huge hit with the guests.
                    I'm guessing the split is a chunk of wood?

Comment

• JeffJ
                      JeffJ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The split is a split log, not a wood chunk.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here