Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow n sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow n sear

Slow n sear or plus And why

Standard Slow 'N Sear if you have a 22" kettle, as the open bottom reduces the risk of clogging up the fire with ashes, as a few people on here have reported. Spend the savings on the Drip 'n Griddle, which is well worth having.

Comment

The plus only makes sense IMO if you plan on using lump and the brand of lump you use has a lot of really small pieces.

Comment

I prefer the standard for the reasons jfmorris mentions. If you ever think you'd have leftover coals that you'd want to lift out and dump then the Plus would be handier. The grate in the Plus makes it a little more labor intensive to stir the coals drop the ash mid cook, but it's still not hard, just harder than the Original.

Comment

If you’re doing long, like 8-14hr cooks the original might be better. I use my stick burner for that. For shorter cooks 3-6hrs Or quick grilling I would go with the plus. Most of the time I have left over coals which I want to save, when I get enough I use them as a base coals for my LSG before adding splits.
          So it really depends on what you’re going to do the most.

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh yes stickburner wood and natural air 👍.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            As opposed to UN-natural air? I like naturally aspirated engines as well, but that's a different forum.....

You can go here and find more info.
          SnS Grills is the leading provider of high-quality BBQ charcoal inserts and grills. Our inserts and grills are perfect for backyard barbecues, camping trips, tailgating or any outdoor adventure. From beginner to championship BBQ-ing we have a solution for your small batch smoking and grilling needs. We help you BBQ!

Comment

I too use the plus. (plus for the performer, and the plus "low profile" in the WSCGC) My long low and slows are in the offset, or using the WSCGC setup in low and slow. I like to move the basket with the coals left over.

Comment

jfmorrisHuskee have good points. I have the SnS Plus for my 22 inch Weber Kettle. And I have had reduced airflow due to ash. Which is only a problem if you are not nearby to monitor the Pit Temp. Otherwise I just stir the coals to dump the ash from the basket. Then clear the bottom vent of ash by working the clean out /vent lever. Problem solved. I like the Plus because I do re-use charcoal.

Comment

I have the SnS and also reuse leftover charcoal. Works great for me! The plus has that extra "kickstand" that keeps it from falling over when you have a full tank of water and not enough charcoal in the bin.

Comment

I too like the Plus. I reuse charcoal so I like extra screen the Plus has. I have found it works better to be sure the Weber Charcoal Grate is aligned with the screen bottom for better air flow.

Comment

Is the DripnGriddle necessary to get low temps?

Comment

• DWCowles
                      DWCowles commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No, but it helps and it makes clean up a breeze.

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It's a little easier & cheaper to use foil to cover the bottom grate opposite the SnS. But, the DnG pan is a great griddle!

• jfmorris
                      jfmorris commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I like the Drip 'N Griddle as it is better at catching all the mess than the foil pans I was using as a drip pan before, keeping the bottom of the kettle much cleaner, AND it doubles as a great griddle for cooking. I've used it for bacon, eggs, shrimp, veggies, stir fry... you don't need it to get low and slow with the SNS though.

I got the plus, and it does hold ash. But it's not a deal breaker. Like others have said, you just have to monitor your temps and if they start to drop, you'll want to get up, stir the coals, clear the vents, and everything is fine. But if that's too much hassle for you, go with the standard model instead of the plus. If I had to do it over, though, I'd get the original and not the plus.

Comment

Not to change the subject, but has anyone hooked up a fan (like the Pit Viper) to a kettle/SNS setup? It's works so bloody well in my WSM that I never have to lift the lid unless I want to spritz or finish, rock solid temp control.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                        fzxdoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm wondering the same thing with the SnS and my WSCGC.

• jfmorris
                        jfmorris commented
                        Editing a comment
                        There was a thread about this a while back. Let me find it.

• Huskee
                        Huskee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Jerod Broussard does it.

There are multiple threads, all under Kettle Accessories:

Had my second run with my SnS in my Weber 22 with a Pitmaster IQ 110 connected. Started with 6 in the corner of the SnS and let them get lit then I filled the SnS about 1/3 full of

Just bought a SnS (to be delivered next week) and was thinking of using my BBQ Guru with it to ensure a specific temp (let's say 275). Gonna try chick thighs

Got my new Fireboard w/ fan and have been running some test. Have the fan connected to the burner tube in my Weber Performer and a SNS with griddle pan on half of the charcoal grate.

And more than that. I think the consensus is that you don't have to use a temp controller with the SNS, but it does help with peace of mind on overnight cooks. An example would be the recent butt I had jump from 225 to 327 degrees on an overnight cook, because too much of the charcoal I added at 11PM before going to bed caught fire in the SNS. Butt was fine, just was done sooner than expected!

Comment

• Troutman
                        Troutman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks jfmorris, I remember seeing those but was too lazy to go look for them. If you get a chance can you locate me a cup of coffee, black is fine !! Seriously I'm giving this consideration, it works really well in the WSMs.

I totally detest running my kettles without PID controlled fans. Both have an SnS.

Comment

• Troutman
                        Troutman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Where is the fan located in relation to the SNS? Do you have a regular SNS or a Plus or does it matter? Jerod Broussard

• Jerod Broussard
                        Jerod Broussard commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Troutman I have both the regular and plus. The fan is on the other side opposite from the SnS. On the 22 you need to mark the furthest movement of the ash sweepers in order situate the fan.

• Troutman
                        Troutman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks Jerod Broussard , just ordered a spare adapter.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here