Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adrenaline Grill Grate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adrenaline Grill Grate

I picked up the two-zone grill grate from ABC. Reason: The grate that came in my 22" Weber drives me insane - every time I pick it up, the circle in the middle falls out. So I wanted a grate that didn't do that to me. I figured, I love my Slow and Sear, so why not get the grate that was made to work with it? I like that the lifting portion is larger, which gives me access to the entire SNS instead of just the outer edge.

However... my triumph was short lived. The hinged part keeps falling off every time I lift the grate, or it comes off every time I lift it to put more wood or fuel in the SNS. My insanity continues, and grows. This is more annoying because it happens during a cook, not just before and after. Is it supposed to do that, or do I have a grate whose hinges weren't crimped down far enough?

Can I get some channel locks and just squeeze the hooks down, or will that cause other problems? Or is that even possible with average human strength and no vice?

I do recall reading of folks pinching it tighter. I'll tag David Parrish to get his suggestions for you.

Comment

I did the exact same thing. Gave away my Weber grate and used channel locks to give the hinges a little bit of a squeeze. Problem solved.

Comment

I know it's set loosely on purpose to enable you to take it out completely when doing cold grate technique, where you spin it and don't need that section over the SnS. Maybe just taking it out and not using it would be another option for you.

Comment

• Buck Flicks
          Buck Flicks commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought of that, too... it doesn't need to be there when using SnS, but it needs to be there for full on full grate grillin' and the smaller piece falling off still is a factor when picking up and putting down the grate.

It is made that way so it can be removed if you choose. As mention above channel locks does wonders.

Comment

It is in the instructions....

Comment

• Buck Flicks
            Buck Flicks commented
            Editing a comment
            Who reads those? ;-)

I actually didn't see any instructions in my box.

I tightened mine and it’s fine but not removable now.

Much less frustrating than with it removing itself all the tine.

Put your weber grate with the hole to good use.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	1ECEABDA-864C-420F-9FED-AD3D31E291B9.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	482164Click image for larger version

Name:	05E081D2-AF7C-473F-A325-B4AA46B4A8AD.jpeg
Views:	186
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	482165

Comment

• Butchman
            Butchman commented
            Editing a comment
            Pure genius!

• Buck Flicks
            Buck Flicks commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a similar plan.... keep it, toss the middle circle, get a real wok (I have an electric wok currently) and use the chimney and grate for proper wok usage.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice!

Buck a quick read of our instructions will explain why the piece comes out like it does. You’ll find the PDF on this page: https://youtu.be/WlYY7oierxk towards the bottom.

Like others said, that piece is not meant to hinge up and down during a cook. It’s one of those situations where you need it or you don’t. Most folks love this aspect of the grate. If you want to permanently attach the removable piece it’s easy to pinch the loops together with 12” channel lock pliers.

Comment

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            On mine, it was sufficiently loose that it constantly fell off or came loose when spinning the grate for cold grate. That was annoying because it’s hard to juggle steaks while trying to reattach. Permanent is better in my situation.

• Danjohnston949
            Danjohnston949 commented
            Editing a comment
            I Haven't Jumped Off the Log for a 22 1/2" ABC Repl.Grate for 2 Reasons 1: I Have Two Kettles, The Performer Deluxe With the Center Circle Grate, I Have a Med Vortex In and Like It❗️ 2: The Weber Performer Has the S 'n S, Drip and Griddle, and the DigiQ-DX 2 Temp Control and Pit Viper Fan Also Has the Center Hole Grate Used for
            Drip Pans and ❓ Sorry Dave, Just Thougt You Should Know❗️ Dan

Thanks Dave! That makes perfect sense. Usually when using the SnS for slow cooking (ribs), I don't need it in at all, and for full grate cooking (lots of burgers/dogs, etc), I don't need to open it once I get the coals on the grate. BUT... if I'm doing the slow cook for a steak or pork chops followed by a quick sear at the end, I need to be able to access the SnS to refill it with hot coals for the final cook, then drop the grate back down for the final sear, and ideally the grate will be hot from the slow cook... rather than spinning the grate around and landing a cold grate over the coals. Yes, it will eventually get hot, but to quote Billy Crystal in Spinal Tap: Mime is money.

There wasn't any instruction literature in my box, only the temperature guide card.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here