Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Santa Maria Weber Kettle Accessory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Santa Maria Weber Kettle Accessory?

Is anybody familiar with these? Does it deliver a different flavor profile? It's $400 to get one of these for the 26, which is more than the cost of the grill itself. I am debating whether or not I should acquire one and any input would be greatly appreciated.

You can see it in action here:

$400 is a little steep in my opinion. But you know what they say about opinions.

Comment

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      For the 22 it costs a little over $200. Definitely seems like a better value.

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s a total different story JeffJ I would pay $200 for it to go on my 22” copper kettle.

Here is another source: http://chaneysgrills.com/grills_smokers.htm

Comment

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      It looks to be more attractively priced. My problem is the shape. I have a Performer (your source only manufactures one size) and I don't think that square shape would fit on my 22 - the table would get in the way.

• Butchman
      Butchman commented
      Editing a comment
      I think Chaney’s only delivers in California.

On the one hand it's pricey for no more cook area than you already get with a Weber kettle, on the other hand it may be a cheaper way to get a Santa Maria style grill with the existing footprint of your kettle if you can't afford or don't have the space or another grill, particularly a SM grill. You can get a drop in for just over that price point with more grate space: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1885815...SABEgLJG_D_BwE but it requires the real estate to drop it into.

Comment

I want one but the price for the 26 is ridiculous. Also not sure if I would really use it enough. Maybe I'll throw one on my 22 one day.

Comment

Someone had posted pics of their Santa Maria grill and the link to the company and I was impressed with both the grill and the price. Maybe the way to go is just a whole new cooker.

Here's they are. Starting at $189. For $400 you get this "30x20 Deluxe BBQ".

Click image for larger version

Name:	MgzOuFu.png
Views:	489
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	457595

Last edited by Attjack; February 20, 2018, 12:34 PM. Reason: Added link and pic.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          For $400 methinks this will be a 2-3 year lifespan cooker.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Someone here has one and had posted pics. Forget who. I wonder how long he's had his? I've recently formulated a plan to turn my Weber 26 into a Santa Maria. I'll post pics when I get it done. I think it's going to be cheap and easy.

That just blew my MCS mind. Ya I know I’m cheap & there is the money thing. But, if you don’t have any more room........ hmmmmmmm!

Comment

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah. Not interested in another stand-alone cooker. My wife would kill me. An accessory though...

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Right JeffJ. Buying another grill, room? No. Wife, "how much is it"? Accessory, oh that’s nice honey, another accessory/gizmo. Heh, heh, heh. 👍

One problem I have is with all of my cookers and accessories some of them get very little use. Example: I got the Arte Flame insert for the 26 for Christmas 2016 and have used it only 4 times. The 26 in general doesn't get a lot of use because it isn't often that I need its capacity. I got the PBC last April and I've used it a half dozen times. The rotisserie ring for the 22 gets used once or twice per year. The Kettle Pizza ring (my wife's favorite accessory) gets used 3 or 4 times per year. I have the Weber Gourmet BBQ system with the drop in wok and griddle and these see very little use, maybe 3 or 4 times per year for the wok and none for the griddle now that I have the Arte Flame. The gas grill only gets used 4 or 5 times per year now. 7-10 times per year for the 14.5 WSM. The Jumbo Joe and the Performer get a lion's share of the use.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          I got all kinds of crap for my BGE and the only things I use consistently are the plate setter and the second shelf. That is how I deal with MCS: what would I do with it if I have it, and what else could I do with the money instead? I'd love a Santa Maria add on for the Weber, but, really? Naw.

• 6th Borough BBQ
          6th Borough BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          So if I'm understanding you correctly you need to get even more accessories?

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          JeffJ, you just need to cook more! Actually, I've not used my Arte Flame since the Jack and all 3 of my kettles are in a jumble on the cooking porch here at work.

Attjack It's a great little grill with a surprising amount of capacity. Part of the reason it gets so much use is I keep it in the garage. During winter I hardly ever cook on the patio (which is where the Performer, 26 and PBC reside). I used the Jumbo Joe last night and will be using it again tonight, along with the 14.5 WSM. For $60 it is a tremendous value and it travels very easily.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          I use my Smokey Joe Silver at least once a week. No sense firing up the big boys for a couple burgers.

JeffJ I use my 26 most even though I often don't need the capacity. I also use my little Weber Spirit regularly for burgers, or planked salmon, etc. I do have a 14" Smokey Joe I should probably use more, but I've realized for a while I need a Jumbo Joe. Maybe I'll spring for a 18" SnS and get myself one for the summer.

Comment

Hmmm. I vote no to this accessory. It seems cool, but as someone else already pointed out, you can get an actual Santa Maria style grill for that price. I question the stability of the kettle tripod with the added top weight, and also wonder if you really want to be building a big log fire inside the kettle bowl. The kettle was built to handle a load of a couple of chimneys of charcoal - not an armload of logs.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            I build log fires in my 26 when using my Arteflame. I do wonder how it will hold up over the years. However the real concern is probably the tripod. It's shaky with all that weight.

On the other hand you can get a 22" weber pretty cheap second hand. And a Santa Maria Weber would be a fun conversation piece. That said I probably won't get one. But you should never say never.

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            I also build log fires in the Weber 26” when using the Arteflame. So far it’s holding up great

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Glad to know the steel is thick enough to handle those type of fires. I still feel that this could be a top heavy contraption on those tripod legs... maybe not.

Interesting point regarding the logs. However, I do burn logs when I use the Kettle Pizza or the ArteFlame.

Comment

I don’t see no problem on the weight issue because the Arteflame probably weighs more than that Santa Maria.

Comment

• JeffJ
              JeffJ commented
              Editing a comment
              Not to mention I'd probably get it for the Performer which is far more stable than a kettle with 3 legs.

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              When it comes to accessories I think someone should sell leg upgrades for the 26. I want the Ranch style legs. Might have to do it myself one day.

Attjack

Do you have stability issues with your 26? I've never had a problem with mine.

The heck with Ranch Kettle legs for the 26, just go out and get a Ranch Kettle.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              It's mostly aesthetic. I think it would look better with a different leg design. Something more substantial. But even with the Arteflame I don't feel like it's in danger of falling over. The Ranch would definitely be overkill for me.

I think this is how Weber should produce them. JeffJ

Click image for larger version

Name:	lJjX24K.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	457667

Comment

• JeffJ
              JeffJ commented
              Editing a comment
              I also agree.

• bardsleyque
              bardsleyque commented
              Editing a comment
              wouldn't you want to up grade the wheels? just asking

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Like big knobby off-road tires? Why not?

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here