Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Do I Use A Charcoal Chimney With The SnS/DnG Combo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Do I Use A Charcoal Chimney With The SnS/DnG Combo?

I'm planning to break in my new SnS/DnG combo tonight with a couple of rib eyes and an indirect/sear at the rear cook. Before the SnS, I'd place the chimney on the charcoal grate and simply dump the coals into the Performer when they were ready. But now the SnS and DnG completely block the grate and I assume significantly restrict airflow to the chimney. Seems to me I should put the chimney on the void side of the charcoal grate as in the past and insert the DnG after I dump the coals. Am I right, or is there a better method?

That’s how I do it.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too. And if I am doing a long cook that will require water in the SnS, I don't put the DnG in until after I dump the hot coals and add water. That prevents unwanted "stuff" getting in the DnG. Most of the time I cover the DnG with foil too for easier cleanup.

I actually put my SnS in the front of the Performer Deluxe, not the side, as I like having the lid oriented with thermometer in the front, and vent in the back, even though I know that dome thermometer is not the grate temp.

I've got an older (2007) style model Performer Deluxe. The lid holder is closer on the older models, so the lid tends to cock over the grill at a slight angle more than on the models they've put out since 2010, so I didn't want to use the SnS for searing where it was hard to access on the left side. With it on the right it was over the burner of course.

Anyway, with the SnS up front, it impacts the Weber chimney when I am starting my charcoal, so I just put start the charcoal in the chimney. Once its going good, I pull out the chimney, put the SnS in, then dump the charcoal in there. I plan to get a DnG before summer, and may rethink my arrangement at that time.

There is a thread on here about a Performer Deluxe mod where you basically pull the burner tube out of the grill a couple of inches, i.e. move it to the right, so that you can light the charcoal inside the SnS, and not bother with a chimney at all. I am thinking of doing that. If I am starting just 12 coals for a cook at 225, I would then rake them up to the corner of the SnS, and dump in the rest with my scoop I keep in the charcoal bin. It would mean keeping the SnS on the right over the burner though, and my lid cannot be moved into the lid holder with the vent facing to the left.

Comment

Bingo--many thanks! I'm anxious to compare the SnS experience with history--I'm assuming a more efficient cook. But we're looking at 26 degree temps tonight, the lowest in which I've grilled, so the comparison will probably be loose at best. Using Rockwood lump; we'll see how it goes.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Are you grilling (searing) or cooking at 225 or 325? What I have found out, using the SnS below freezing a lot this winter, is that my damper settings are a lot different than they were back in the summer/fall. I would still light the normal amount of coals, but leave the dampers wide open until it hits at least 200, then start with 1/2 open on both, and go down from there.

• fkrall
        fkrall commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm going to cook indirect at whatever it is, usually around 325 without the SnS, then sear directly over the coals, all dampers fully open.  I'll do that tonight and use the Smoke to track temps.  I haven't tried low and slow on the basic Performer (no gas) yet and will probably wait until the temps moderate to Keep It Simple Stupid.

• fkrall
        fkrall commented
        Editing a comment
        Short form: More Keystone Kops than I would like, but an excellent cook. 28 degrees ambient but higher temps (pegged the dome thermometer over the coals), better temp control, and better sear by far than any of my previous cooks. Based on this first experience alone, I'm sold!!

I bought a 14” Weber Cooking Grate at Lowe’s for about $8.00 that I place on top of my 6 gallon galvanized ash can. I then place my chimney on that grate when I light it for my SNS / Weber Master touch combo or my Weber Smokey Mountain. I found this to be handy if I'm lighting more charcoal to add to the SNS for my final sear.

Comment

• fkrall
        fkrall commented
        Editing a comment
        Never thought about the ash can, as I have the Go Anywhere I used when I returned to charcoal, and I use that to light the second chimney when needed. It's a great, more convenient option--thanks.

I use the smaller Weber starter chimney to start 12 - 15 briquettes. I put a small rock in the middle of a 6" square paver brick, place starter against rock, light, then put on the chimney.

Comment

I have a galvanized trash can that I store my charcoal in I always started the chimney on it with it's lid inverted. However I have recently started using a portable gas burner and I'm never going back to newspapers again. Faster, easier, and less messy.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep - this is basically what you get when you have the Weber Performer Deluxe. The gas burner is just a tube that acts like a blow torch (or 2!) applied to the bottom of your chimney. If I am cooking direct, I often use the Weber charcoal baskets, and light both directly using the burner, and skip the chimney.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting. It never occured to me to light in the charcoal baskets.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Attjack - yes, if you use the Weber char-baskets, just fill them with charcoal to the top, position so the starter flame hits both, and then scoot over to the middle (or sides) with your tongs once lit.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here