Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this even possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this even possible?

My last few cooks I had the devil of a time managing temps in my Weber 22 with SNS. That's really not happened to me before, except for the early days when I was learning how to manage temps for the first time. There was one change, and that was I began using cherry wood chunks, which I'd never used before. I had a sneaking suspicion that the cherry was the culprit. This morning I started a cook using apple, and I've been at 235 for 2.5 hrs without touching the vents one time. Is it even possible that my temp management issues have been due to the cherry wood chunks?

Where they wet?? Damp?? Was your temp too high or too low?

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      dude, it was all over the place. Caused me to question my thermoworks smoke, which is blasphemy. Too high and too low.

The wood will have an impact, but I don’t expect it to totally throw your cook off.

Comment

Interesting thought. Did you use more or less cherry than apple? Was the ambient temp similar for each cook? The PBC folks say wood can affect the temps, but I have yet to notice that effect in my PBC. I've never noticed or seen it with the SnS in my WSCGC.

I feel like offering to bake a cake for the person who solves this puzzle.

Kathryn

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Thing with fruitcake is to start it now, use fresh fruits instead of those candied things, and soak it well with Scotch (sometime this cake is called Black Bun). Then let it age until Christmas time (at least).

• Jon Solberg
        Jon Solberg commented
        Editing a comment
        I love fruit cake.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        especially soaked in rum...

I notice a significant change in temps when my wood is cooking and a notable drop when my wood has finished burning, so yes, I think it is possible, depending on how significant your temp variance was.

Comment

richinlbrg I think I don't notice much of a temperature change quite so much because I start the wood burning during the lighting process before I start really monitoring temps.

Kathryn

Comment

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          Could very well be. I also have a noticeable drop in temp in my kettle/SnS when the wood chunks have finished burning. Sometimes I even goose my temp by re-introducing wood chunks.

Just send the cake. LOL

Here you go, richinlbrg .

Click image for larger version

Name:	15-reg-deluxe-fruitcake.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	412668

K.

Comment

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          Jon Solberg, if lovin' fruitcake is wrong, I don't wanna be right

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm definitely with the fruitcake fans!

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          what if your fruitcake identifies as a bunt cake...would you still lover her?

In the interest of getting a cake from Kathryn, lol (my youngest daughters middle name, btw) I think my problems may have simply resulted from over thinking. I wanted to preburn the cherry as much as I could to avoid acrid smoke on the meat. The cherry is so dense and I think I changed my routine. I like science, but sometimes your gut has to be obeyed. Today's cook with the apple was just doing what I do (although I did forget the drip pan, which means I have a serious kettle cleanup later.) Sorry for all the parentheses. I've had a few today.

Comment

• PBCDad
          PBCDad commented
          Editing a comment
          What kind of a middle name is "Cake"?

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          So hoovarmin, you figure following "you are what you eat" with Kathryn's fruitcake will solve the overthinking problem?

Originally posted by hoovarmin View Post
        Sorry for all the parentheses. I've had a few today.
        hoovarmin

((I'm having one now.))

Kathryn

Comment

Love the fruitcake. fzxdoc do you have any more of those?

Comment

Well on the note of parentheses, you only used two. I wouldn’t consider that overindulgent, although the second one was of an interesting length. Pensive one might think versus out of grammatically control (hows that for a sentence). A further question would be, what really is your daughter’s middle name, cake? Hmm. And, as far as the clean up, if it’s not to bad, I usually move my SnS around (or the coals) to burn it off (then it’s only ash).
            Hey, I managed to surpass you in the use of parenthesis. I feel good & haven’t had a few (or any).
            Anything is possible, well almost, sorta, ya know what I mean.

Comment

New use for fruitcake, lighter cubes. LOL

Comment

My temps were all over the place with my 22” kettle and SnS on Sunday. It’s the first time they have done that since my first cook with the SnS. They shot up to 297 at one point and as low as 199. I was having a heck of a time with them. I was also using a big chunk of cherry along with some hickory. I usually use hickory and Apple. Once the wood burned off late in the cook (around 6 or 7 hours) the temps stayed steady. You may be on to something with the cherry.

Comment

• hoovarmin
                  hoovarmin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm glad you said that. Just out of curiosity, was it the Weber cherry chunks?

• MWOE2007
                  MWOE2007 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No it was Western BBQ Products cherry chunks. I believe it was the first time that I had ever used cherry

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here