Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow n Sear "Fill It" Guidance, Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow n Sear "Fill It" Guidance, Please

I'm anticipating a Slow n Sear shortly. I now use Rockford Lump in a Weber Performer, and for a normal indirect cook (not low and slow) I dump a full chimney onto one side of the grill. I read that the Slow n Sear is more efficient--should I cut back on the charcoal? And is it primarily for low and slow or suitable for all indirect cooks? Thanks

I don't typically use any chunk in my Webers, so I'll leave that one fer th' experts, who will doubtless be along, directly, to help ya' with.
    In my experience, SnS is good fer all cooks, low/slow, indirect, direct, Warp 10 sears, etc.
    There have been times I utilized two SnS at once, in a cooker...

Comment

• Black99vette
      Black99vette commented
      Editing a comment
      Two in on cooker - mind blown. Is that for the warp 10 sears?

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Black99vette , it can do fer that, yup...
      Can also do fer low an' slow...
      Jus' depends on how I load down th SnS's...
      Be glad to elaborate, if ya want me to... ya' can always PM me...
      I don't do a whole lotta Warp 10, although it is a tool in my toolbox...

The SnS almost never comes out of my kettle.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m pretty much the same way. Ever sense I bought mine I’ve found myself cooking more and more on my Kettle. I think the only time mine has come out is when I really needed all the surface area of my 26 for a big direct cook.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      In that case, do the same. With the same amount of charcoal, and both vents fully open, there won't be any difference in fuel consumption if you put the charcoal directly on the bottom grate or in a Slow 'N Sear. Just make sure you don't use water in the reservoir at those temps.

• fkrall
      fkrall commented
      Editing a comment
      "...there won't be any difference in fuel consumption if you put the charcoal directly on the bottom grate or in a Slow 'N Sear. Just make sure you don't use water in the reservoir at those temps." Henrik: Can you please explain? Thanks.

The Slow 'N Sear works for both direct and indirect. If you are doing a low n slow cook I would recommend briquettes. Lump works too, but briquettes give you much more reliability.

What, in your mind, is the difference between an indirect cook and low 'n slow? Which temps do you run at?

Comment

• fkrall
      fkrall commented
      Editing a comment
      Understand and agree with briquettes for low and slow. For "normal" indirect, a full chimney of lump gives me 500 or a bit higher on the dome directly over the fire, which translates to 420 or so on the cooking grate under the vent, all vents open. Has worked well for me with bone-in chicken breasts/thighs, pork tenderloin, roasts, thick steaks (1.5" or so), and the like.

I use lump for direct cooking sometimes but almost always use KBB for indirect. I get a pretty consistent burn and temps with KBB.

Comment

fkrall, You are getting "Good Advice" from all sides so I Won't Try to Give You Any❗️ Like You I used to Pile Charcoal to one side of the Kettle and occasionally on two sides using the Weber Coal Racks❓ I have since Found
      the S 'n S with a Drip & Griddle much easier to Control the Temps and the Duration of the Cooks❗️ I should add I
      also use a DigiQ DX-2 Temp Control & Pit Viper Fan by The BBQGURU Co, Phenominal Control‼️
      Eat Well and Prosper❗️ From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	507.3 KB ID:	412051Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	533.7 KB ID:	412052Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.75 MB ID:	412056Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	1.93 MB ID:	412055Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	1.55 MB ID:	412053Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	1.68 MB ID:	412054Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	1.07 MB ID:	412057Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	1.09 MB ID:	412058

Comment

Great advice from all, indeed; thanks. Danjohnston949--thanks for the pictures. Please advise your address and meal times.

Comment

Same as above I never remove the SnS from the kettle except when I’m cleaning it.

Comment

Oh, you have to clean it?

Comment

• hoovarmin
              hoovarmin commented
              Editing a comment
              I clean mine with fire

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here