Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgraded smoke n sear addition:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgraded smoke n sear addition:

Possibility of a severe burn led me to re-think my removable divider that made fire building faster and safer. The resulting divider is designed to remain in the SNS during the cook. The grid allows the fire to migrate through the divider and eliminates the need to remove the divider. It is manufactured from 304 stainless steel and tolerates the heat well. I am contemplating having it welded into my SNS.
    Fire building process remains the same.
    • Install divider.
    • Add charcoal and wood chunks to the large end.
    • Add heated water to the H2O reservoir.
    • Add hot charcoal from starter chimney.
    • Add grate, meat, thermometer(s) and forget.
    Pricing will be forthcoming in the near future in the "FOR SALE" section of this web site.

Reserve yours with a message to my mailbox.
    Attached Files
    Starts
    November 12, 2017
    Ends
    November 12, 2017
    Last edited by ken g; November 12, 2017, 07:28 PM.

That’s a cool innovation! I’d buy that.

Comment

I love this idea! I get obsessed with trying to get the line between lit and unlit coals as vertical as possible when lighting my SnS, and this is perfect.

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        Me too

I like it. Nice idea!

Comment

I love that umbrella holder btw thats a nice mod!

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          I can see that being really good or really bad.
          If it’s nice and hot and sunny. Good
          If you’re trying to keep rain or snow off also good.
          But if it gets windy it might just take the whole thing and topple it over. Bad.
          Maybe some weights to hold everything down. Than your golden 👍

Now you're talkin'!

Comment

Nice idea, Did you have that water jetted out or something?
          Last edited by Powersmoke_80; November 12, 2017, 07:22 PM.

Comment

• ken g
            ken g commented
            Editing a comment
            I try to make it a practice to add water prior to adding hot charcoal. I forgot that concept on this cook. It cuts down on splattering hot water and warping of the SNS.

• Powersmoke_80
            Powersmoke_80 commented
            Editing a comment
            ken g Lol I was asking how the stainless material was cut for your divider, was a water jet cutting machine used to cut out the windows.

• ken g
            ken g commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL. It was cut via laser.

Great job.

Comment

Great ideal.

Comment

very clever! when will it be for sale?

Comment

• ken g
                ken g commented
                Editing a comment
                I am planning by month end. I will advise.

ken g , forgive my obvious questions, but: Is the charcoal burn better with this design? Is the temperature more stable throughout the cook? Why is it superior with respect to the cook to how we currently use our SnS accessory?

I ask these questions because firing up the SnS as shown on the ABC Barbecue Company's website seems to work great for me as it is.

Kathryn
              Last edited by fzxdoc; November 13, 2017, 08:25 AM.

Comment

fzxdoc. There are no stupid questions. First, there is no evidence the divider affects the charcoal burn one way or the other. Consequently, the temperature stability during the cook is not affected. There is no claim of superiority with respect to the cook.

I felt uncomfortable with the ABC's fire building procedure. If you recall the SNS instructions, instruct you to light coals in one corner of the SNS. Wait till they turn white, then add unlit charcoal and wood chunks to fill the SNS.

The device allows you to add chunks and unlit charcoal to the SNS prior to introducing the hot coals to the SNS. Some folks, like my self, are meticulous in how they load charcoal and chunks into the SNS. (That is another discussion) Utilizing the divider makes it safer, faster and eliminates the need to work in close proximity to 15-20 hot coals on one end of the SNS.

As a side benefit, it also maximizes the BTU's the hot coals produce by enabling the lid to be put on sooner instead of being released into thin air while the SNS is being loaded with charcoal and wood chunks.

Hope that helps.

Ken

Comment

Thanks, ken g , for the explanation.

Is the "hot section" large enough that you don't have to have super good aim to get the hot coals into it?

Kathryn

Comment

• ken g
                    ken g commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I pour the coals from the starter chimney into the available space.

Cool idea. I like it. If I had an SNS, I would probably consider it.

Comment

I confess I've never followed the SnS instructions regarding coals. I pile up unlit coals and wood in it with one corner clear for the lit coals. Once the chimney is ready, I dump the lit coals in the space reserved. I generally put a piece of wood in the bottom so the lit coals go on top and it combusts faster to get that blue smoke quicker. Has always worked fine for me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here