Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of using SnS with my BBQ Guru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two major advantages besides rock steady temps.

1. The fanport below the charcoal grate and opposite the SNS with foil or DNG on top of the grate (under the food side) pushes air to directly through the bottom of the SNS, so when ash builds up it has the entire bottom of the kettle to fill before affecting airflow.

2. Since you have the fan just above the ash sweepers, you can still operate them without taking anything apart so you can clean mid-cook and add coal and run continuously if you want (cover food before agitating the ash though)

Comment

I have used the PartyQ with the SnS and the smokenator. I have also used it on a cheap water smoker. I haven't tried it yet on the WSM. On the cheap water smoke I covered the hole with foil tape (Moved the adapter to another grill).

Comment

I have a performer with the touch-n-go gas assist fire starter. I detached the gas line from the burner tube and attached the fan to the tube. I place the SnS across from the burner tube and put my griddle pan above the tube. Using the Fireboard setup and it works like a champ.

Comment

Does the Guru work just as well with the 26-inch Kettle and SNS?

Comment

• ColonialDawg
            ColonialDawg commented
            Editing a comment
            I would use the Guru fan with my Fireboard, so I suppose I should check with the guys at Fireboard too. I can’t imagine it wouldn’t work.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            If you have the Fireboard, then I guess that means you JUST need something like the Pit Boss fan and Weber adapter, and your Fireboard will control it all. Man, wish I had known about Fireboard before I go my Smoke last year!

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm sure just about any fan controller would have adequate fan power for this task. It takes very little airflow with or without a fan controller to smoke in a kettle. The key is setting up your kettle to run about how you want it without the fan on. Then, the fan just maintains your desired temp.

I would learn how to run the cooker first, then add the controller. Then when your controller doesn't work, you still know how to do it the old fashioned way.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Haha, you got a point. I've been smoking and grilling without a controller for almost 30 years, so why get a controller now? (Hint: too lazy to constantly mess with the fire?)

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            You are good to go. I would rather not see people rely on their controllers before learning their cooker. Once you learn it, go controller! However, it does reduce the "sport" of it, for me. jfmorris

• ColonialDawg
            ColonialDawg commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree. I’ve been learning my kettle since I bought it and, while it dials in pretty quickly, you still have to tinker here and there, which is a lot of fun. I see the fan as a good option when you have to be away for any extended time.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here