Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rotisserie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotisserie

Ok. I need your opinions. I have found many options on using a rotisserie. Some say lid on, others lid off. Some say put fire on either side of the spit. Some say use a SnS.

Where do you put your fire? Do you leave the vents fully open and lid off? Do you try regulating the temp with vents.

Please share your thoughts.

I guess I should have mentioned please include the meat you cook for your preferred set up. Thanks

Oh yeah. I guess I should have mentioned I use a 22 inch Weber kettle with a Cajon bandit rotisserie.
    Last edited by Joetee; September 26, 2017, 08:01 AM.

I have wrestled with the same question. I use the 2 Weber charcoal baskets with a drip pan in the middle with lid closed with the vents open just a sliver. I find I have to refuel about 40 minutes into the cook.

I have also used the SnS but had to put some foil where the chicken was dripping. Good results too.

The rotisserie attachment is so loose it is hard to control the temp with the vents So I just go for hot as possible.

I have done chicken, beef roast, and pork roast. Two charcoal baskets or SnS, I say 6 and 1/2 dozen of the other. Both work well.

Comment

First, what are you cookin' on?

I use a Weber kettle with a Weber rotisserie. The ring that holds the rotisserie leaks badly, so there is no way to go low and slow. However, some of the aftermarket kits look much better in that respect. Since there is no way to control airflow, I open both vents all the way and let 'er rip. Temps can go north of 400* F easily - and I like it that way for chicken and turkey.

As far as the charcoal goes, I have used two Weber charcoal rails with one on each side of the bird, and I have used the SnS. Either way, the results are great. I do place the two rails so that dripping juices can't flare up, and if I use the SnS, I drape a piece of foil over the edge of the coals for the same reason.

Fowl is the only thing I do with the rotisserie, but I once saw a recipe for spinnin' a pineapple that I'd like to find again. If I could keep the temps low, I'd consider doing a butt, but I'd tie that sucker really well. I also think a large clod of beef would do well low and slow then finished hot and fast.

Comment

• sblair1255
        sblair1255 commented
        Editing a comment
        I use the same thing. I stack coals on both sides and some in the middle. I like the smoke created when the chicken drips on the hot coals and I throw a couple chunks of wood on the sides. Temps do climb but you can keep them in the 400 range with the top vent pretty easy. I usually start to baste about 45 minutes in and usually done about 75-90 minutes.

I do roto on a gasser. I have 3 burners that run lengthwise. I turn off the middle burner and set the front and back to fairly low flame and close the lid. My built in temp gauge reads 375°F--400°F. FWIW. I do whole birds on the rod/spit and I also do chicken thighs and pork tenderloins in the basket attachment. I've also done thin pork steaks and pineapple spears in the basket and used them to make tacos al pastor. I wouldn't be without a rotisserie.

Comment

Anyone else care to share there experience's with a rotisserie?

Comment

I to roto on a gasser, burner on the left & burner on the right, middle off. Try to hold it at 350.

I didn't know Cliff Claven had joined the PIT. Welcome Cliff!

Comment

Any more charcoal fans out there care to share?
            i hope Meathead chimes in. I think his lid off method works better for crispy skin. Let's here it.

Comment

I'd try it both ways and see what you think. Lid on gets pretty crispy I know.
              Last edited by Jon Solberg; September 27, 2017, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Only 5 responses? I know more of you are using Rotisseries.

Comment

I can only tune in to learn - don't have a rotisserie, yet

Comment

• hoovarmin
                    hoovarmin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I've been mulling over getting the 26 inch kettle, and I've held back because I'd want to get the rotisserie kit for that one rather than my 22. Probably kidding myself, I'll end up with one for both, Jon Solberg

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ditto Jon, and I don't use a open lid.

• hoovarmin
                    hoovarmin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Jon Solberg , now I can't control the urge to purchase a rotisserie. Why did you have to say that ;-)
                    Last edited by hoovarmin; September 29, 2017, 05:17 AM.

Joetee My experience here suggests that not many folks do roto--FWIW.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                    Joetee My experience here suggests that not many folks do roto--FWIW.
                    I'm guessing your right.
                    is there anyone on here that does a rotisserie cook with out a lid on?

Comment

• Willy
                      Willy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I don't.

• RonB
                      RonB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I haven't either.

No I haven't but I'm going to try it just so I know how it goes.

Comment

I use a rotisserie on my Hasty-Bake.

For chicken, I set up my charcoal in two banks, with none directly under the rotisserie. I open the lid, and get the firebox close enough so that my rotisserie temp is about 375, give or take.

For a beef roast, I set the charcoal up the same way. But I close the lid, lower the firebox and keep my rotisserie temp at more like 275.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Solberg View Post
                        No I haven't but I'm going to try it just so I know how it goes.
                        I did 2 chickens without a lid. Perfect in less than two hrs.
                        Meathead suggested not using a lid so I've been looking for more info on this.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here