Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow 'n Sear with Used Briquettes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow 'n Sear with Used Briquettes

Hey everyone,

This weekend I'm looking to do a fairly large rack of ribs using my kettle and slow 'n sear. I've done plenty of slow cooks with it, but always with fresh briquettes. I have a lot of used briquettes from PBC cooks (which by the way, is a new addition to my cooker supply, and has managed to exceed my expectations), and I'd like to use them.

Is there any reason I shouldn't? Will managing temps be just as easy as it always has?

Thanks!

I would use those old briquettes for grilling only. That's just me, though.

Comment

I like partially burned briquettes for starting my fire in my WSM. I load up 40'ish of them, whatever various sizes are left in the WSM or Hasty-Bake, and get them fired up and then dump them in my charcoal donut in the WSM. Good way not to waste them and they get going fast.

Comment

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree wholeheartedly.

Used are horrible for maintaining temps. Great to start with when I just need a bunch of hot crap to dump into the pit.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Jerod, stop rewriting my posts to be simpler and easier to understand ;-)

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahaha, now that's funny ecowper.

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        ecowper, sorry I was on my phone on lunch break in my truck eating Chinese frog legs and crab, course I wasn't eating the exact moment I was typing on the phone, although I may have been chowing down on some rice or shrimp or both, no take that back, I was definitely working on an egg roll but trying to keep my right hand (typing hand) from getting a slick from the residual oil

Ah bummer. I'll hold onto them for grilling.

Comment

I hate to go against the grain, but I use them in the SnS regularly. They do burn faster, so I don't use them for overnight cooks, but for rib length cooks, they work fine.

I need to mention that I do use a CyberQ to control temps, so you milage might differ without a controller.

Comment

You can't look at a used briquette and tell how much fuel is left. Best only to use them when that factor doesn't matter.

Comment

I find myself re-using them all the time. (But that's just me!) Not quite sure how it works, but I do get a sense of needing a percentage more when they are used, and with my S'n'S, I can't use them when they're too small. When I'm doing a reverse sear, I'll remove the steak over to a platter, then put the GrillGrate on, after having added perhaps only 20 more coals. (Those tend to be "fresh.) But no more that that. I give a a about 10 minutes to come up to temp, then begin my sear. I also keep a foil-covered Drip'n'Gridle in place, for air-flow control.

And so far, so good! It gives a great sear, leaves no grill marks, as I do use the flat side.

Mike S.

Comment

There is about 636 briquette in a twin 18.6 pack of kingsford. That's a conservative number. Is actually closer to 657.17

I think on sale that works out to .0157 cents a piece. Mind you, that's before tax and I'm not really good at math.

I never thought of saving them before. I always have let them burn off the cooker till they were gone.

maybe I'll rethink that based on these replys.

Last edited by Jon Solberg; September 14, 2017, 05:47 PM.

Comment

• Pirate Scott
                Pirate Scott commented
                Editing a comment
                Black Gold! When your down to your last bag and no sale coming. Thanks for doing the Math Jon, I will need it next time I tell my wife I am buying 5 Twin packs on sale.

I too hardly never use my used briquettes. I'll crank open the grill and burn them off. Gives me a good chance to do some grill cleaning afterwards. I do save my lump though.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice to see you back posting a little more regular. I hope all is well and that your recovery efforts are moving along.

• lonnie mac
                lonnie mac commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you brother! Finally getting down to the LONG waiting part of this ordeal. Kinda camping in the house for the next many months.

I use my used briquettes sometimes to start the SnS. I make a pile and light em up in the corner. Then add the rest of the coals.

Comment

Thanks everyone, for all of your feedback. To be honest, I expected you all to say that managing temps would be different, but not materially more difficult. I'm glad I asked!

Comment

If i want to cook with used briks then i'll mix 50/50 with new otherwise i use them as cleaning cooks for the grills

Comment

I jus' throw 'em into th' briquette bed I use to light my stickburners...
                    I hate to waste.

Comment

I use them to start my fires in my fire pit on cold nights

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here