Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite thermostat/thermometer with Weber Kettle and Smokenator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite thermostat/thermometer with Weber Kettle and Smokenator?

I recently destroyed my leave-in thermometer with remote monitor just prior to Thanksgiving. Had to cook my bird with hope, prayer and a candy thermometer. Time to get some new equipment.

I was intrigued by the PartyQ write-up on the Smokenator tips article and have been interested in a thermostat to cook low and slow reliably for a while. I cook year round and the weather varies from the high 70's to -25, so its always a lot of work to keep the cook going at a constant temp. However, when I went to the FireCraft site I had to search around since the link from the article went to a model with a ceramic adapter (not needed). I stumbled on their CyberQ and CyberQ Wifi and am thinking that now I should combine a thermostat with a new thermometer.

I used my last leave-in thermometer in the inside oven too, so I'd like portability. I realize this could devolve into a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge discussion, but I'm just wondering what others with the Weber/Smokenator have themselves and what they would do again if this was a new purchase.

Thanks in advance!

I don't have a Weber, but on my vertical smoker setup, I use the Pitmaster IQ120. It will hook up to the Weber kettle or WSM just as easy, and holds pretty good temp. It's got one probe for the pit and one for the food. The best part of it, I can set it to drop the pit temp once the food reaches a certain point. In the past, I've been woken up by my Maverick to grab the meat in the middle of the night. With the IQ120, it'll just lower the pit temp and hold the meat until I wake up. I'm sure some of the other products do that, with more bells and whistles, but probably not for that price.

Comment

I recently bought the Pitmaster IQ110. It doesn't have all the features of the 120 as mentioned above (1 probe, only for the cooker temp for instance) but in the two times I have used it so far - one pork butt and my Thanksgiving turkey - it has performed very well. I'm thinking about trying an overnight brisket this weekend

Comment

I have a PartyQ that I pair with my SN and love the results. I thread the cables through the bottom vents and then close the vents almost all of the way. I use a bread pan for water to allow more briquets and fewer times opening the kettle

Comment

PartyQ themostat. iCelsius for a remote. Thermapen for instant read.

Comment

Meathead responded that his favorite thermostat and remote thermometer setup for a Weber kettle w/ Smokenator was the PartyQ and iCelsius. But, after looking at the full review it makes me wonder why the PartyQ only has a bronze medal. Should I be wary? I live in Alaska and BBQ year round. Wondering if the batteries in the PartyQ might go out when it is close to zero. Am I being too concerned? Should I just take Meathead's sage advice and go for it?

Comment

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              You get a cleaner smoke from an uncontrolled fire and you're not going to need the Party Q. Stay tuned.

MrS, I have run the partyQ on a lot of long cooks in sub zero weather. It is a battery drain but its not a big deal to swap them out during a cook. Same holds true for the thermometers. I think you can run an icel of shore power if I remember correctly.

That said, I find that is much easier to hold temp in a kettle or a WSM when it is really cold. Dont know why that is but it just seems to be.
            Last edited by Jon Solberg; May 2, 2015, 03:58 PM.

Comment

I'm going with the Auber Bill reviewed on the main site. Hopefully by the end of next week.

Comment

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                MrSkimo just hang tight the next day or so and everything is going to change. You're going to want that kettle Stay tuned.

• MrSkimo
                MrSkimo commented
                Editing a comment
                Hmmm - very enticing. Can't wait to hear what you have up your sleeve...

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                Trust me. It'll be worth the wait. And it's a short wait

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here