Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Slow 'n Sear cook - strip loin roast!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Slow 'n Sear cook - strip loin roast!

And I'll call it a partial success. Was delicious, but it came out solid medium, not medium rare, and I think I know why.

So, I also got a two-probe thermometer, that, and the Slow 'n Sear were my wife's birthday present to me (well, I got them then told her she got them for me ) Followed the prime rib instructions, including Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust rub. Trimmed the roast, dry brined overnight, then tied into tighter roast shape and slathered with rub.

The Slow 'n Sear could not be easier to use. I think this is where I went wrong. First, I pulled the roast at 10 degrees under target, which I think may have been instructions for steaks. I think maybe they say to pull roasts 20 degrees under, I'll have to go rewatch the video. Second, because I didn't want to wait so long for the coals to get hot, I opened all the vents all the way 10 degrees below that. By the time I pulled it, it was 350* in there. My thinking is, while this may have made the coals ready for the sear later more quicky, it likely upped how fast the roast was heating, and I bet it shot up past target temperature more than it may have had I left the vents alone and kept going at the lower temperature. I also loosely tented it with foil, and that was truly stupid, don't know what I was thinking I WANTED the thing to stop going up in temperature.

Anyway, was moist and delicious, was still a big hit, and I'd call it a success for a first flight with this thing, just not perfect. Awesome product! So glad I got it.

-John

Click image for larger version  Name:	roast1.JPG Views:	1 Size:	80.2 KB ID:	366182Click image for larger version  Name:	roast2.JPG Views:	1 Size:	101.4 KB ID:	366183Click image for larger version  Name:	roast3.JPG Views:	1 Size:	109.7 KB ID:	366184Click image for larger version  Name:	roast4.JPG Views:	1 Size:	80.0 KB ID:	366185Click image for larger version  Name:	roast5.JPG Views:	1 Size:	88.8 KB ID:	366186Click image for larger version  Name:	roast6.JPG Views:	1 Size:	99.1 KB ID:	366187

Looks awesome. Great cook right there!

Comment

OTW - Nice Cook! --Ed

BTW, awesome job tying - thing of beauty.

Comment

Nice work brother. Tasty is tasty. Just keep the fenders on and get the next one.

Id eat that.

Comment

Looks like a total success to me!!

Comment

That looks really good! Great job!

Comment

Thanks, guys! Don't get me wrong, it was VERY tasty! I'm a bit self-critical because I'm a 40-year charcoal veteran and it wasn't PERFECT. BUT IT was damn good! Looking forward to dialing this tool in. It is truly revolutionary best thing to happen to the kettle in 60 years.

Comment

BTW, the thermometer Manhattan pic is funny. At 61, I'm amazed how I can monitor my cook in air conditioned comfort with a cocktail with more precision than ever before. Great world, ain't it?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here