Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Promisses Kept.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Promisses Kept.

Just wanted to let you know that I am keeping a promise I made, about how well (or not) my Dragon Wing worked out on my Weber Original Premium Kettle. This device attaches to the bowl of the kettle via a lip that fits over the rim of the kettle. I set it up and it did hold the weight as advertised, it proved to be rather sturdy, in fact. But when I added some smoke, I found it was quite leaky. Not just a little, but a LOT.

However, I also got a gasket from BBQgaskets.com and thought I'd give it a try. I first thought that maybe it might work better if I stopped where the add-on table started, and pick it up again on the other side. Kind of like an interrupted thread on a breach loading rifle. Well, it was an interesting thought, but not one that actually worked out. What did the trick was to go back an fill in the "interrupted" space with more of the felt gasket material. In fact, the now continuous gasket sealed quite nicely! If I looked very closely, I can still detect a little smoke where the "snap-on" table attaches, but nothing like the serious leak that I once had. Oh, and the "snap-on" table doesn't make a sound, that's just what they call it. In short, I'd call it a successful experiment. It is only a very small amount of smoke that gets out, I couldn't begin to figure out how much I'd have to add to the smoke to make up for the loss. It really wouldn't be worth the effort.

Another add-on is my Slide-a-Side lid holder. And yes, with it came another potential smoke leak. But not to worry, again the smoke loss with the gasket installed is quite negligible. Once I figured out just how to bend it into it's final shape, it worked out quite well. No more fighting with that lid, I can literally Slide the lid aside and do what I need to do. I've yet to have it fall off as some of the reviews suggested either. I like the way it holds the lid in a low-profile so it won't be likely to catch the wind and topple the grill, unlike a high-profile lid hinge might do.

So, there you have it, promises kept!

And one other promise to keep, I tried the "I Fought the Slaw and the Slaw Won" cold slaw recipe that EdF supplied and it was GREAT! It really added that missing "crunch" to a pulled pork sandwich. Thanks a lot, EdF!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0974.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	364480

And I even remembered the mustard! That addition made a good thing, better.

Mike S.
    Spring Hill, FL

Now I'm curious, do you have any photos of the slide-a-side mods? Good lookin' sandwich right there by the way!

Comment

Thanks for the update! Glad the tools are doing their job! BTW, I'm very hungry after looking at the sammich!

Comment

Since you asked, yes I did take a couple of pics showing the recent mods. Actually, I mean I just went out an took them!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Grill01.JPG Views:	1 Size:	253.9 KB ID:	364542Click image for larger version  Name:	Grill02.JPG Views:	1 Size:	280.2 KB ID:	364543

Click image for larger version  Name:	Grill05.JPG Views:	1 Size:	274.3 KB ID:	364546

Click image for larger version  Name:	Grill06.JPG Views:	1 Size:	284.1 KB ID:	364547

OK, I don't think I told you about the GrillGrate. I'm kind of running another little experiment to see if I really have to add any additional coals to the Slow'nSear to finish off the cook. So far, I do NOT have to when I cook my chicken, but I DO when I cook up some steaks. However, I don't think I need to fill the basket with fresh coals, so far, I've been able to just use about 10 to 15 additional coals. Since it is an interrupted cooking process if I were to use the cold grate method, I remove the steaks, set them aside on a plate, while I lift the GrillGrate and place it out of the way on the cool side, and then lift the cooking grate's hinged door and drop in the additional coals, and then move the GrillGrate back into it's position (with the flat side up.) If I need any additional time for a side dish to get done, this is the time to do it. I don't pre-ignite the extra coals, I just give them a couple of minutes to catch on and then I begin my sear.

I think I over-explained it nicely.

Mike S.
        Attached Files

Comment

No idea why it does that. I mean, the extra pics as "attached files." I don't think I did any thing different when I posted those, I guess the software decided it wanted a closer look. . .

Mike S.

Comment

And to think, just a few weeks ago, you had never put slaw on a sandwich! That one there is a thing of beauty!

Comment

Looks like a great kettle setup! Enjoy.

Comment

I like my little Dragon Wing shelf.

Comment

Yes, I certainly do too! I thought if I was loosing too much smoke, I just might have to give it up. But happily, I found that I could keep it. And that was thanks to that felt gasket. Wonder if Henrik saw those pics. . . He did seem to have an interest in the Slide'a Side.

Mike S.

Comment

Just ordered 15ft of self stick 1/2 x 1/4 gasket thanks to these pics (Mike S.)

Comment

Love my Dragon shelves as well (I have 2)!!!
                      Sounds kind of gluttonous, don't it, until ya' recall I have 6 Weber kettles...

Comment

• EdF
                        EdF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Sometimes a man has hunger!

Xzibit would be proud... Pimp my kettle! Great looking rig right there!

Comment

Looks nice

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here