Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kitting out on a budget...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kitting out on a budget...

Reporting in on my first round with the MCS beast! Background: I'm a reasonably accomplished indoor cook but it's been years since I did any regular grilling, and while I was adequate at it years ago I would like to achieve Grilling Godliness this time round. Providing details here for any other newbies trying to figure all of this out too -- or for more experienced folks to weigh in.

My first smart move was to purchase Meathead's recent book (which also led me here). You can imagine what came next: oh the toys! The toys! It was a matter of minutes before I decided I needed a new bigger fancier grill immediately along with... well, you know the routine.

Then reality set in. So I set myself a budget of $250, which is the amount of my tax refund which the State of Minnesota has finally released into my bank account (after a battle). I thought that money was gone for good for sure, so this is "found money," right?

Then I got to thinking (belatedly) that with my son all grown up and on his own, it's just me in the house now. I don't entertain large groups of people -- I'm usually grilling just for myself or most typically for 2 or 3 other people. So that got me thinking that maybe I don't really need a larger grill, I need a more versatile set-up.

So I decided: 1. Stick with my old but perfectly serviceable 18.5" Weber One-Touch Silver kettle, which is plenty of grill space for 1 - 4 people and frees up dollars for shiny toys, and 2. Look around for a decent Smokey Joe on Craigslist (used to have one and loved it until it went missing years ago), which will be perfect when I'm grilling for myself and can be a second grill when I am cooking for others.

So here's how I spent my $250, after putting some elbow grease into cleaning up the ol' One-Touch:
    1. Immaculate used Smokey Joe on Craigslist ($10!)
    2. Slow N Sear basket for the 18.5"
    3. Grill Grates in the Smokey Joe size (2 @ 13.5" half-round grates) plus one 2" x 13.5" extension -- I can use one half-round in each grill for two-zone grilling, and the half-round plus narrow extension in the 18.5" exactly covers the SnS basket below. Alternatively I can use both half-rounds together on the Smokey Joe to create a separate searing station
    4. Stainless steel hinged grate (304) for the 18.5"
    5. DOT thermometer with extra probe for meat and grill temps
    6. Stainless steel grill basket per Meathead's recommendation (I love grilled veggies) to be used on either grill
    7. 12" carbon steel griddle to be used on either grill (and indoors -- have been meaning to get one for ages for the kitchen). This is my consolation prize since there is no SnS Drip n Griddle in the 18.5" size, and I can use disposable foil pans that I already have for drip/water pans.
    8. Heavy duty leather gloves per Meathead's recommendation

All of this came to $251.72 including shipping. Hah! When I feel like spending a little more, I will add an ash-catcher for the One-Touch (basically converting from Silver to Gold) and a good grill cover, but for now a contractor-grade black plastic bag will serve me fine. I also bought a couple bags of Kingsford Original and some wood chunks. I already own a chimney starter.

Next steps: calibrating both grills once it stops raining.

Thoughts? Guidance on what my first cook should be? Thanks everybody for ALL of the information on this site!

sounds like you are ready to rock! Cook what you are craving. Make enough for leftovers, and have fun.

Comment

you might want to check out the videos and recipes on Adrenaline BBQ's website, they have a lot of great ideas for low and slow or cooking steaks with the reverse sear. I have also done Talapia with the SNS on my 22 inch Weber and it turned out great, didn't really have to sear it but it had a great charcoal flavor.

Comment

• DELein
        DELein commented
        Editing a comment
        Good idea! I don't know why I don't think fish more often. Sounds really tasty!

Wibs! Love dem wibs!

Comment

• vandy
        vandy commented
        Editing a comment
        Heck yeah, when you finally learn how to do ribs on the grill and they turn out great then you feel like you have arrived!

• DELein
        DELein commented
        Editing a comment
        It's a rite of passage, all right. I am going to do it this time!

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, that's what I was going to say: wibs!

Welcome to The Pit. Good to see another Minnesotan here!
      For your first cook I like to recommend chicken. It's cheap, if you screw it up it won't cost you much. And the cook will be shorter, so your not trying to figure out how to use the grill for 8 hours.

Comment

• DELein
        DELein commented
        Editing a comment
        Very sensible advice! Thank you.

• vandy
        vandy commented
        Editing a comment
        Good idea Spinaker, I don't know why I didn't think of that because I just cooked around 20 chicken thighs today on my pellet grill. Fish is quick and easy also.

You, Sir, have an innate sense fer accomplishin' a Great Deal, on a lil' Cash!!!
      I gotta couple Webers; they do Okay!!!
      By the way:
      Howdy from Kansas Teritory, Welcome to th' Pit!!!

Comment

• DELein
        DELein commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Mr. Bones! I've been reading all of your posts and comments about Smokey Joes and it reminded me how much I loved that little grill years ago. Glad to have him back.

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Baltimore, MD! Glad you joined us.

Comment

You've got two grills, chicken on one and ribs on the other! Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

If you venture into low and slow, you might try a small Boston Butt on your 18" using the fuse or snake method which you can find explained on YouTube. They usually demonstrate on a 22", so instead of putting the coals 2 wide and 2 high you might try 2 wide and only one two high. The a Boston Butt is about the most forgiving piece of meat you can cook. I would plan on at least 10 hours at 225. Have fun and welcome to the Pit.

Comment

• CandySueQ
              CandySueQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Find a small Boston Butt and you won't be loaded with pulled pork! Actually if you don't own a vacuum sealer, a baggie and a soda straw (to suck the air out) work really well. Freeze pulled pork with juices and you always have good BBQ handy!

• DELein
              DELein commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks to both of you for this detail -- sounds like an excellent place start. Glad to have the guidance about fuel, and good to hear that the smoked meat freezes well!

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here