Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got my grill grates yesterday. Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my grill grates yesterday. Question.

These baby's really heat up, check out the temp, with 1/2 chimney of charcoal, over the SnS! I broke it in with..............................hot dogs. Yeah, I know, but I wanted to try out the grates and have the seasoning commence. I actually did a reverse sear.

Question: direction say max temp 845° I'm almost there, with 1/2 chimney. How much hotter will it be with a full chimney, in the SnS? Should I not use a full chimney?

In addition to the other great tips,(from another thread ), any tips, suggestions, whatever, concerning the grill grates, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Attached Files

I would not push them any hotter than that. A full chimney can get hotter, but it is really up to how you set your bottom dampers and if you use a fan to heat the coals or not.
    I have seen pictures of panels melting and warping in Kamados that hit 900 F +. You really don't need to go any higher than 700 F.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown-2.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	350186
    I like to cook on the griddle side of the Grill Grates. Then you get a nice even sear all the way across the meat. I don't really use the rail side of the Grill Grates, very much. I also like to put a Cast iron press on my steaks so I get an even better sear on the meat.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed, I use the griddle side more than the grate side. But for hot dogs the grate side keeps them in line.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a good call Mosca. Especially those Hebrew Nationals, those babies fit perfectly in the rails! Mosca

• Livermoron
      Livermoron commented
      Editing a comment
      Huh.

Never thought of that. Great idea!

Malcolm Reed uploaded a video to YouTube recently where he grilled an SCA style steak using Grill Grates. His target temp was in the 500s. There's no need to push them. Past 800 F you'll find you're not grilling. You're branding. #askmehowiknow

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Love Malcom Reed. Have you met him yet?

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope but I'd love to get him a Slow 'N Sear to check out. If anyone here knows him please help me out.

Originally posted by ABCBBQ Dave View Post
    Malcolm Reed uploaded a video to YouTuber recently where he grilled an SCA style steak using Grill Grates. His target temp was in the 500s. There's no need to push them. Past 800 F you'll find you're not grilling. You're branding. #askmehowiknow
    Amen and duly-noted.

I didn't realize how hot sucker could get!

Fortunately, I've had the kettle dialed in for years, so now I know what to expect. I guess an unexpected bonus, with these things, is the amount of charcoal that I'm going to save. I can't wait to get home and grill some chicken!!

Comment

I think the manufacturer states that they will melt at 1200 degrees. I hit 786 on the gasser with all 3 burners on high. I've never clocked it on the kettle. Anytime I'm cookin' this hot the meat is on and off within minutes. The lid is up on the gasser or off on the kettle, so the temp is going to drop down.

I agree with pushing past 800+ is branding. I've never had an issue with a cook or the grates cuz I'm sure I've never gone 800+ for any long periods of time (kettlle).

BTW, most of my cooks with the GG's are as described by Spinaker using the griddle side. I might try the press when it comes to the sear - sounds like a really good idea!

Cowboy Steaks below. HTH - Ed

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cowboy_Steaks_Collage.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	350308

Comment

As Meathead says... deep mahogany brown is the sweet spot.

Remember... you've already cooked the interior of your steak before you start the searing process, so... lifting your steaks intermittently with a meat hook during the searing process to inspect the color is critical. If you get distracted you're going to serve black charred steaks.😬

Anything past 500/600° will elevate your chances of burning the surface of your steaks and will require more frequent flipping...🤔

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I would agree. I don't think I have any hair left on my hands or forearms. Breadhead

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Just found the meat hook today. Gonna let this baby loose tomorrow....... Breadhead

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker ... Meat Hook VS Tongs... is a forehead slapper! Once you've made the shift, you're gonna say... why did I ever buy those tongs?🙄

Non-cooking advice: For cleaning the raised side, there is nothing better than the wooden paddles. I bought a couple at Christmas as kind of a novelty. They work like a charm!

The bummer of the story - the second one was for my dad. I bought him three grates to put on half of his Santa Maria grill. I have five on mine. I visited him a couple of months back and was going to cook steaks on them. He and my mom couldn't find the Grillgrates! What the Sam Hill? He remembers me getting them for him and claims my mom must have put them somewhere. My mom says she never remembers seeing them (because they were never used). We searched the house and the garage. No sign of them. I have a suspicion that they put them to the side, couldn't figure out what the heck the went to and tossed them. ARGH!

Comment

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          tbob4, The Good News❓ Is I think You are Entitled to a Discount on Your Next Order❓ You better Confirm this with GrillGrates! 🤗😇🤗
          From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Bummer man. Total bummer. I got some for my Dad too, I found them behind the grill, on the ground! Guess he didn't like them. Needless to say, they are now my GG's for the top of the KBQ.

Oh man, tbob4 , that's a sad story indeed. They may still come across them, hopefully.

I clean the the flat side with a wad of heavy duty aluminum foil about the size of a softball. I hold it in my welding glove-covered hand just after I take the meat off. Really cleans up nicely.

Will any wood spatula work or do use a specific brand?

Kathryn

Comment

fzxdoc - I bought "The Grate Scrape" but Costco was selling an off brand again this summer. The heat from the BBQ forms it to the grates. It looks like a small oar which gives good leverage. If a spatula was made of the right wood it would work, but I imagine not as well. I find that I clean them right after pulling meat or before cooking. The heat helps out. A spatula may get you too close to the heat. I really thought it was a gimmick when I bought it but it works very well for me.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I use the grate scrape for mine. it works pretty well.

• Medusa
            Medusa commented
            Editing a comment
            I think I saw "somewhere" that "someone" cut down a shim to fit between the rails. Said it worked pretty well and I would think so. I use the product that GG sells as I got it at some discount. Also really like those grill wipes. --Ed

Thanks everyone!!!

Comment

I conducted a non-scientific cleaning experiment today. I pressure washed my smoker grates which are diamond shaped, as I normally do. It works like a charm. I then put the Grillgrates to the pressure washer. It did a nice job, but did not work nearly as well as the Grate Scrape cleaner I normally use. I expected the opposite results. I also spent more time with the pressure washer trying to prove that it would work as well. I used no detergent during the experiment. However, I typically spray down the Grillgrates with canola oil after cooking and scrape then. This could have skewed my results.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here