Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay...I ordered the grill grates for the SnS...now tell me how to use 'em! (Please)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay...I ordered the grill grates for the SnS...now tell me how to use 'em! (Please)

I gifted our son a 3rd generation Weber Performer. I've created a monster, he grills all the time. His birthday is this weekend. I ordered him a SnS. While I was on the site, I ordered a grill-grate.

So.....how do you use them? Edit: How do I use the grill grates and what do I use them for?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Skinsfan1311; July 17, 2017, 06:47 PM. Reason: To clarify the OP

This is going to be fun. Start with the ABCBarbeque web site to see how to light the SnS. Next, find videos posted by David Parrish and watch them. Then ask lots of questions but include details about the meat you want to cook.
    Last edited by kmhfive; July 17, 2017, 07:25 PM.

Comment

SnS - just about all you need to know is in this link:

This is the official YouTube Channel for SnS Grills, formerly Adrenaline Barbecue Company. Our company website is snsgrills.com.

GrillGrates - these are used to sear your protein. They are designed to give great grill marks when the ridged side is up. BUT, if you flip them over and put them over a hot fire, the flat side will sear the entire piece of meat. Thin cuts can be cooked hot start to finished on the flat side. Thick cuts, (1.5" and over), are cooked two zone with reverse sear by most here, and the GGs do that well.

Comment

Originally posted by kmhfive View Post
        This is going to be fun. Start with the ADCBarbeque web site to see how to light the SnS. Next, find videos posted by David Parrish and watch them. Then ask lots of questions but include details about the meat you want to cook.
        Thanks, but I have a SnS and use it all the time. Maybe I could've worded the title differently. I'll try to change it.

I ordered the SnS for our son, and the grill-grates for myself

My question concerns the grill-grates.

Sorry...and thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
          SnS - just about all you need to know is in this link:

This is the official YouTube Channel for SnS Grills, formerly Adrenaline Barbecue Company. Our company website is snsgrills.com.

Thanks RonB, I have a SnS and use it all the time. It's for my son. Sorry for the confusion, I edited the OP.

GrillGrates - these are used to sear your protein. They are designed to give great grill marks when the ridged side is up. BUT, if you flip them over and put them over a hot fire, the flat side will sear the entire piece of meat. Thin cuts can be cooked hot start to finished on the flat side. Thick cuts, (1.5" and over), are cooked two zone with reverse sear by most here, and the GGs do that well.
          That's the kind of info that I'm looking for. Thanks, again!

Comment

Got it. Here's some ideas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2231.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	349139Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2203.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	349140
            Attached Files

Comment

I use the little section on top of the SnS, mainly with the flat side up. If you have the ridges up though, you can also use that to help prevent flare ups.

Comment

Originally posted by kmhfive View Post
                Got it. Here's some ideas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2231.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	349139Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2203.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	349140
                Thanks!

Judging by those pics, (which look great), and the flames, they don't exactly look like they prevent flare-ups. Or, is that only when you flip 'em and use the flat side.

Do you use the same amountil of charcoal, in the SnS, when you use the grates?

Comment

• kmhfive
                  kmhfive commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The top picture was a chimney of lit briquettes they stayed in the chimney. The bottom one was one full chimney, but spread out in the SnS. In both cases, the flat side was up. I believe that's what caused the flames in the bottom picture.

Originally posted by jgreen View Post
                I use the little section on top of the SnS, mainly with the flat side up. If you have the ridges up though, you can also use that to help prevent flare ups.
                Gotcha. So Ridge side up, to prevent flare-ups. Do you find yourself using less charcoal, with the SnS?

I'm smoking a ribeye roast, Saturday. Low and slow, then seared, over over high heat on the grill grate. Do you leave grill grate on, during low and slow? If so, have you had to adjust your vents differently, to hold the desired temps?Thanks!

Comment

• jgreen
                  jgreen commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't usually adjust the amount of charcoal, but on a short cook you might get away with a bit less.

Dripology... https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=zxJCsXPxWeM

A 3 course meal on GrillGrates... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kDoRADOiz_4
                Last edited by Breadhead; July 19, 2017, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here