Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GrillGrates meet Chimney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GrillGrates meet Chimney

It was hamburgers for dinner tonight and I had a thought, (Gotta be careful with my thoughts. I'm rationing them and am two months ahead now. I hope I don't run out before the end of the year... ). Put the GrillGrates right on the hot chimney. I may not be the first to think of this, but it sure did work well and next time I'll turn the chimney upside down to conserve charcoal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CM7I6041.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	327090

Name:	CM7I6038.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	327089

I don't know what idea I like better. Grill grates warp 10? Or flipping the chimney. I've seen cooking steaks w skewers in a chimney.

Comment

I tried flipping the chimney. Didn't work out too well.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Jerod Broussard - I suggest flipping the chimney before putting the charcoal in.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Roger dat, Firebase Bonedaddy, Forward confirms!

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Dats what went wrung!

Love chimney cooking. Worn out a few. Pretty handy!

Name:	10517387_823454484341213_5314381128271103077_o.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	327098

Name:	10511546_10203421150546235_1725521771188886994_o.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	327099

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad that little dog isn't a pig!

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Dog: "He's firing up the grill, they said. There'll be lots of meat, they said."

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        A "minion" in action!

I'm thinking MH mentioned this in one of his recipes, but I don't recall which. Nevertheless, ideas can be original more than once. Looks like a dandy burger.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        JCGrill - Yes, it's one of his methods, but I subbed the GG for the regular grate. It worked well, but next time I will invert the chimney and save charcoal too.

Might try this with some burger soon!

Comment

I've done it many times. My preferred method for searing. Soooo hot. And I use kingsford because it's cheaper than lump.

Comment

I have used the old Alton Brown method all this time. Especially when I just need a steak for me alone, although I do have a good timing down for a steak on the top, and the bottom of the starter at the same time. Talk about a sear! Try putting your steak "under" the chimney starter!

Comment

Hello!
            My name is Mr. Bones, an' I endorse this message!!!

You ROCK, Brothas!!! @lonniemac RonB !!!

(Gotta be careful with my thoughts. I'm rationing them and am two months ahead now. I hope I don't run out before the end of the year...
            Do be most careful, with them thoughts, RonB !!!
            I was plumb dang out, first week of January!!!
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 1, 2017, 08:43 PM.

Comment

I'd be careful about putting your Grillgrates over a really hot flame....

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 10.31.10 PM.png
Views:	134
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	327154

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Histrix, looks like a Warranty Issue, to me!
                Fits th' cooker better now, though, huh?

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                I love this picture. Histrix

My charcoal starter is my favorite searing device when I cook small quantities. It's perfect for searing a Sous Vide cooked Tri-Tip.👍
              Attached Files

Comment

Pretty interesting method, I may try it. What led y'all to think of trying "chimney cooking"?

Comment

• JoeInTX
                  JoeInTX commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for y'alls replies!

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  scottranda - if you invert the chimney, you won't use much charcoal.

• scottranda
                  scottranda commented
                  Editing a comment
                  RonB that never occurred to me, until you said it. I'm going to see if that'll work for my chimney. Thx!

I'm doing a first time chimney cook on a cab ny strip for lunch. This cook IS happening, pics to follow.

came out great. Very pleased. I did 2 mins per side, twice. Total of 8 mins. Then in a pan into a 275 oven for a few mins.

I would do 2 more mins per side on the rocket and bag the oven. I'm at a friends and do not have a thermometer, and desired fineness is medium. I didn't get the cut shot but they were in fact btw med rare and medium. Came out great. I would absolutely get a little bolder w the lump add in the chimney. I'd say I had around 60-70% full prior to ignition. Maybe it cooked down to 50-60% so didn't get the beast seat I was looking for. Added some butter to the pan and a bit of water made for a nice pan gravy over the top of them.

Couldnt be simpler. (Never mind the order of pics.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0604.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.75 MB ID:	327334Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0608.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.18 MB ID:	327335Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0606.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.86 MB ID:	327336Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0612.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.42 MB ID:	327337Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0607.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.79 MB ID:	327338
                Last edited by Notavegan; June 2, 2017, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• kmhfive
                  kmhfive commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Excellent!

• Notavegan
                  Notavegan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Kicker, I'm at a friends using he chimney. I don't even own one for home. I use an electric charcoal starter, have electricity at the cooker so works nice. Boston butt, I think I will be getting a chimney as another cooker!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here