Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow n Sear - lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow n Sear - lighting

I've seen a couple of videos where unlit charcoal is first placed in the SnS, followed by about a dozen lit coals. Is this method not recommended? Seems most of the instructions I've seen is to first light a few coals in the corner of the SnS, then the unlit charcoal. Which is the better lighting method and for what reason?

I just ordered the SnS yesterday, so can't really play with it yet!

SnS Grills is the leading provider of high-quality BBQ charcoal inserts and grills. Our inserts and grills are perfect for backyard barbecues, camping trips, tailgating or any outdoor adventure. From beginner to championship BBQ-ing we have a solution for your small batch smoking and grilling needs. We help you BBQ!

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on what DW said. Why not go straight to the source.

I fill the SnS up, take out about 12-16 briquettes depending on what temp I am going to run, and light those I removed in a chimney. I place a wood chunk in the void the lit briquettes will fill and place 1-2 wood chunks amongst the remaining briquettes that will eventually burn.

Comment

I guess I've only used the method described on the Adrenaline BBQ website using the Weber lighting cube. But as long as the first twelve or so coals are fully lit, I don't see why pouring them into the corner as Jerod Broussard does would be any different.

You might also look at the OCD stack. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...6-loooong-cook

Comment

I've also used the dreaded LF method with excellent results.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          I use it like its water. I ain't scared of it

• Bruce54
          Bruce54 commented
          Editing a comment
          Did this very thing last Saturday. Visiting family away south, got tagged for grill duty, and the LF was what was available. Took the first 12 to full torch after the LF. With care, worked fine.

• lonnie mac
          lonnie mac commented
          Editing a comment
          LF smells like supper. Never been scared of it. Don't use it often, but never scared to when I need it.

A few days back, I did like so, to smoke a rack of SLC with th' neighbor...:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2999.JPG Views:	3 Size:	2.43 MB ID:	321599Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3007.JPG Views:	3 Size:	2.54 MB ID:	321600Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3006.JPG Views:	2 Size:	2.05 MB ID:	321601Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3026.JPG Views:	2 Size:	1.92 MB ID:	321602Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3033.JPG Views:	3 Size:	2.24 MB ID:	321603Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3074.JPG Views:	1 Size:	732.3 KB ID:	321604
        Me? I'd start with th' ABC directions, listed above...
        Then, figger out how to tune it to yer cooker, if at all needed...???
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 20, 2017, 06:10 PM.

Comment

• lonnie mac
          lonnie mac commented
          Editing a comment
          At least you still have some color to your beard brother!

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks lonnie mac , brother...
          Still got some red, blonde, etc. in there, but not fer long...
          Life is rapidly takin' care of alla that!
          Ain't buggin', at all; I've earned every one o' them grays!
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 21, 2017, 04:57 AM.

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones, Lonnie mac, You two Young Fellers don't Worry Your Beards will fill out at the onset of Puberty❓ What is that Brown Bottle Lighter Fluid❓ Mr. Bones do You get it at Ace Hdw❓
          From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Thanks y'all. I'll stop asking so many silly questions once I can answer them myself!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Yer questions ain't 'silly,' at all...
          Keep on askin'; it's how we all learn...
          Reckon there'll come a time, when I have a question fer ya' to answer...
          Hope yer kind enough to gimme an answer...

• JeffHillyard
          JeffHillyard commented
          Editing a comment
          No shame in asking! Better to ask and potentially avoid failure, than to not ask and ruin your families dinner.

Thanks for y'alls replies. Yeah I was just curious if there was much difference in placing the lit coals in the corner first, followed by the unlit ones versus the other way around.

Received an email and my new SnS is on it's way!! Too bad, we'll be out of town Memorial Day weekend!

Comment

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          What's your address bro? I'll secure it for ya. ; )

• JoeInTX
          JoeInTX commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha!

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm closer.

JoeInTX, I light my S 'n S very much like Jerod Broussard! I think DWCowles gave You very good advice when he suggested You go the Adrennaline BBQ Site and look through Technique and Recipe Sections for Lighting and Vent Settings for the Weber Kettles and S 'n S Combo!
        Huskee, Your Very Own "Pit Club Mgr" Suppled the Vent Control Tutorial for [email protected], www.abcbbq.com !
        Ear Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here