Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork butt cooking too fast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haveta concur, wholeheartedly, with all that's been said, above!!!
    Yer doin' great, relax, sip a fave bev, an' enjoy th' ride!!!
    FWIW, I have never, No Sir, not ever, even once said: "Man, I wish that ol pork butt (or brisket) had taken longer to git to IT!!!"
    BBQ is a Zen thing. Paint th' fence.
    Turn off th' dang digitherm, if needed. Go out, check it every hour or two, with a handheld.
    BBQ should relieve stress, normally...not create it
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 11, 2017, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• Bathgate
      Bathgate commented
      Editing a comment
      Well said and great advice. Thanks!

Mmmmm . . . Pulled pork. It came out great. 10+ hours got me up to 200' internal. Couldn't quite wait for 203'. Hard to think that it would have been any better. Thanks to many here for the help and support along the way. I've got people coming on Saturday and I'll be doing a few slabs of baby backs.

OK, guys, here are some photos of the whole process, starting with injecting, putting on the dry rub, some cooking shots and then the finished product. Hope there isn't a limit to photos here!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1037.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	317994

Name:	IMG_1040.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	317999

Name:	IMG_1041.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	317998

Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Great Pics of Yummy pork! Told ya'!
      Talk to me 'bout that sauce, too!

• Bathgate
      Bathgate commented
      Editing a comment
      The sauce was from a local (SF Bay Area) BBQ chain, Everett and Jones. They used to be a hole in the wall but have gotten bigger. A bit too big, honestly. But excellent sauce.

Sorry for all the duplicate pictures. Not sure how or why that happened.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Ya' can actually go back, edit yer post, git rid of th' extras, when suchlike happens. I've had to start again, from scratch, on other topics, after similar results, so don't feel bad, fer one dang second.
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 12, 2017, 03:42 PM.

Nice bark! Great work! Wish I was doing a cook this weekend.

Comment

I want to bite into that sandwich! Great job. Thanks for the pictures, it looks wonderful. Good luck with the ribs.

Comment

Thanks guys! Wish you all could taste it.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Me too, an' I jus' ate (again)

Nice looking pulled pork, Bathgate ! Looks like you've got that SnS/kettle combo singing your tune. Congrats.

Kathryn

Comment

A very good post with timely updates and the photos are well done too. Oh - great lookin' butt too.

Comment

I know that folks use 203 as the magic number, but I have been more than happy routinely pulling mine at 200. It is tough to do a Boston Butt @ 225 in less than 10 hours.

Comment

I smoke all meats to probe tenderness, regardless of the final temperature. Sometimes that's over 200°F, sometimes not. To my mind, it's about the tenderness point of the meat, not the number on the thermometer.

Kathryn

Comment

• Bathgate
                Bathgate commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a good point. I'm pretty sure mine was ready to pull at 195' but I gave it the extra time to come up to 200 -- another half hour or so. Next time I may test for probe tenderness instead. Thanks Kathryn.

Dude that meat is making my mouth water for a pulled pork samich!

Comment

• Bathgate
                Bathgate commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey, we've got some leftovers. C'mon down!

• vandy
                vandy commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Bathgate I sure wish I could!

I think the 203 number came from Aaron Franklin talking and writing about cooking brisket. He said that he judges by feel and probe tenderness and that 203 seemed to be the most frequent temperature of the meat when he judged it done by the other criteria.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                "Fahrenheit 203°"
                There's a BBQ book title, if ever I heared one!

Great cook that Sandwich belongs on the cover of a Magazine!! or in my Belly!! LOL

Comment

That looks amazing!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here