Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SnS or Thermostat Control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SnS or Thermostat Control?

If you could only have one. What would be better for easier temperature control for long cooks on a 26" Kettle, Slow N Sear or temp control device? Or maybe I should say which one would you get first?
    Thanks
    Scott

Those would get two different responses from me! More accurate- controller. Get first- SnS. I don't have any temp controllers, so you might say I'm biased toward not needing them. But you will get more efficiency from your fuel using the SnS than using the controller with just a pile of charcoal.

Now the best of both worlds is getting the SnS and a controller!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice new avatar, @Huskee!!!
      Me Likeys!!!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Like the new avatar, Man!

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones EdF This ol' mug? Why thanks gents!

I think it's a bit harder to learn temp control with just the SnS, but that will up your game more than a temp controller alone.

Comment

For all around versatility, I'd go with th' SnS, first.
      FWIW, I cook pretty Ol' Skool...YMMV

Comment

Definitely SnS first.

When you get a temp controller get at least a 10cfm fan size.

Comment

Even with an SnS temp control can require some fiddling. Especially on cold windy days.

If you really want an SnS but would like a bit of help in keeping the temps steady take a look at the Tip Top Temp controller. It's a great little controller that works well, is inexpensive, and is too often overlooked. It doesn't connect to WiFi or provide remote control but it will get it done.

https://smile.amazon.com/Attachable-...rature+control

If you use it on very windy days you'll need to rig up something (like a little bracket and some magnets) to keep it from blowing off. Ask me how I know!

Comment

I'd get the SnS first. …oh, yeah…I DID get the SnS first. Still haven't gotten a temp controller for my kettle as there's too many possibilities and not enough excuses when I also bought a GMG with WiFi and a Fireboard!

Comment

SnS (I got 3 SnS's and will sell you a partyQ cheap. : )

Comment

• Pirate Scott
                Pirate Scott commented
                Editing a comment
                If you are serious about the Party Q, let me know I may be interested.

• Danjohnston949
                Danjohnston949 commented
                Editing a comment
                Jon Solberg, Welcome Back From the Dark Side!
                From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

I have both, I had the SnS first and it is great without the controller, but even MORE efficient with the controller (Party-Q). Seriously I would get the SnS first, you will not be disappointed.

Comment

The temp controller is sort of a 1 trick pony (even though they do that 1 trick really well), while the SnS does so much more in addition to temperature control. Honestly, I mostly use the Party Q for peace of mind on overnight cooks or when I have to be away for an extended time. The controller does have the advantage of wringing every last bit of heat out of the coals right up until they are completely burned away, but I wouldn't forego the SnS for that reason.

Comment

Thank you all for your advice. I guess I need to get my wife a Slow n Sear for Mother's Day. Hmmmm, maybe she will want Brisket for Dinner.

Comment

Pirate Scott, If You get the S 'n S, I would Also suggest You get the Drip and Griddle, the Combination will Level Your Temp Swings Considerably!
                    IMHOP, The Temp Control is the 3rd Leg of the Stool!
                    Eat Well and Prosper! Fro a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	229
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	317161Click image for larger version

Views:	274
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	317162Click image for larger version

Views:	227
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	317166Click image for larger version

Views:	225
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	317164Click image for larger version

Views:	248
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	317163Click image for larger version

Views:	263
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	317165Click image for larger version

Views:	228
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	317167Click image for larger version

Views:	230
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	317168

Comment

• Pirate Scott
                      Pirate Scott commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks, I have a request in to the Treasury Dept for a SNS, still waiting approval. I may try to cobble something together for the drip pan. Not Sure.I have access to Stainless Steel and other Sheet Goods. Is your Kettle a 22"

• Jon Solberg
                      Jon Solberg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Scott, just use some foil for a drip pan... It will get you by for a while. Been getting me by for a couple years now.

• Danjohnston949
                      Danjohnston949 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Pirate Scott, My Kettle is a 221/2"! Prior to the Drip and Griddle being Available I had My Furnace Man cut Me a Baffleplate from 20 Guage SS! Jon Solberg is absolutely Correct You Can Use Aluminum Foil! I Got Tired of Getting My Hands Dirty❓
                      From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

I have invested in the SNS first. Then Drip n Griddle and Party Q. Combination works great and I have gotten 11 hours @ 225 with it.

Comment

Danjohnston949 Question for you

I have been using the SNS with the drip pan for some long cooks. I had an old Party Q (previous generation) that I never installed, but I drilled out the 22" Weber yesterday and plan to use it for my next cook. I have to go down a flight of stairs to check my pit, but with the Thermoworks Smoke and the Party Q, I'm hoping to save a little wear and tear on my knees. Any tips on the vent setting on the top for 225 - 275º?Question for

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here