Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SNS Pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SNS Pan

I have the sns and love it, however it only took one cook to realize what a mess I had at the bottom of my kettle below the food that was being smoked. I am looking for your opinions on the pan that goes on the bottom under the food; is it worth the money? I can do just about the same thing with aluminum foil. Also, does it change the dynamics of temp control with the bottom covered like that?

Thanks,
    Al

Oh David Parrish

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Seems like folks have covered things well.

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey It's always good to hear from you once and a while.
      Hope all is well.

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Steve! Things are indeed going well. Hope they are with you as well..

I have the SnS and DNG. IMO it is totally worth the money. It actually pushes airflow through the SnS making it incredibly efficient. I mainly use mine as a drip pan and it fits in nicely in the remaining space so my ash pan isn't mucked up at all. Cleaning it is a breeze. All I have to do is get some really hot water running over it and it cleans up quickly. I looked at just foiling each side but then I'm dumping more junk in the trash, if I don't cup up the edges of the foil junk can drip over the edges, and if I do cup up the edges and I'm cooking on a little more windy day I wasn't sure the foil would stay in place nicely.

Comment

I cover my whole area as sealed as I can with aluminum foil, always have. I have the DnG pan, but I relaized I would just cover it with foil to ease in cleanup, therefore I don't use it as a drip pan I continue to use disposable, no-cleanup-necessary foil. But it's AWESOME as a griddle.

Comment

As a drip pan, it serves well. It fits snug to the SnS and so it does help the circulation of air and smoke. I suppose that putting a layer of foil down would accomplish a similar goal, it wouldn't contain the juices. I suppose you could add a pan on top of the aluminum foil to serve as a water pan and collect the drippings.

But,…

This solution does both and more! Put on the top rack and use it as a griddle--I like grilling veggies on it.

Is it required? No. You can come up with other things or methods, but it does a good job at many things. I don't regret buying it!

Comment

That bein' said, th' DnG is thicker, plus stainless steel, so (my) simple knowledge of convection, conduction, an' radiation would have to lean towards th' affirmative, in regards to will it do a better job vs.: aluminum foil. Very akin to th' baffle/tunin' plates sold to even out/regulate temps in offsets.
          Easier to clean, more mass, yeah I put foil on it when used as a drip pan, to ease th' cleanup...

Comment

I also have the DnG but I rather used aluminum foil to catch the drippings...just fold it up and toss in the trash.

Comment

In my not so humble opinion, it is DEFINITELY worth it to buy the Drip n Griddle pan. I use it every time I use my kettle, and the only grill cleaning I have to do is get rid of the ash from the SnS side. Cleaning the pan is a breeze, and it saves me a ton of foil.

Comment

Foil will serve the purpose of catch the drippings (fold the edges up for more capacity) and will force the air to come through. The coals in the SnS. The DnG has its uses, but I like the foil for preventing messes and easy cleanup.

Comment

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Exactly!

Thanks, everyone!
                Al

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here