Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vortex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vortex?

Anyone have one, or used one? They look to be pretty versatile, and I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger. It's only $40, but I'd like to make sure that it's at least worth that much.

Become A Charcoal Pro Enhance your charcoal cooking experience! Whether you're looking for the perfect searing zone, high OR low indirect heat, or a charcoal bank deflector, let the Vortex do the work with 3 sizes to choose from.

I have one, use it at least once a week. The things I find it good for are chicken wings, searing steaks, and inverted for low and slow with a snake. It works great on the wings, put the vortex in the center, the wings on the perimeter and they all get an even heat and come out excellent. I just ordered some firewire ( flexible kabob wire) that should work in putting kabobs around the perimeter in a circle. Anxious to try that. Putting the coals right up to the grate which is needed for a great reverse sear on a steak is probably what i like best about it. I've done a butt and a ham now on low and slow and it did good on that too. You can invert it, put a pie pan in it for moisture and drippings. For me it's been worth the money.

Comment

• Deuce
      Deuce commented
      Editing a comment
      There was only one size when I ordered mine, before they came out with other sizes. It fits right up to the grate on my 22 1/2, in fact i had to bend my charcoal grate tabs down ever so slightly. I am pretty sure it is the one they are calling medium now.
      Last edited by Deuce; January 30, 2015, 09:31 PM.

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      What Deuce said.

I have the medium Vortex in my 22.5 Kettle and nothing beats it for crispy chicken skin and reverse searing.

I have not tried it with the small end facing down yet.

I will add if you order, order from Owen's BBQ (http://www.owensbbq.com/vortex.html) as you will get a free bottle of their Tatonka Dust seasoning which is pretty stinking good on beef.

Thanks for the info! Looks like I may go ahead and order one up. I just wanted to hear from someone with experience using it.

Comment

I bought mine mid summer. I love it. They are great for wings. If you want, can get a nice sear on a flank steak long before it is medium. I also have a Smokenator that I like, but the Vortex was about half the price.

Comment

I got mine through http://madhunkymeats.com It's my favorite way to cook wings on the kettle and I use it all the time to sear steaks. One of those slap your forehead, can't believe no one thought of this before things. I'm sure anyone handy can replicate a similar device, but it's reasonably priced and a steal for the non-handy like myself
        Last edited by Rlasky; November 15, 2014, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Not sure what I did to that hyperlink. If you copy and paste it works. I'd seen a lot of great stuff on his poultry brine and have wound up buying a lot of his products with great results. His all purpose rub is fantastic.

Comment

Try this...

Comment

Just received mine yesterday and had to try it out immediately. I didn't really have the best scenario to use it though, since my wife wanted me to grill some chicken breasts.

Mostly, I just wanted to test it out to see how hot it would get. I dumped 3/4 of a Weber chimney into the vortex and then set a GrillGrate (TM) panel above it, with the flat side up. After a couple minutes, I was reading 700deg F on that grate! That should work well for future searing of steaks

I ordered mine from MadHunkyMeats and their service was great. They shipped same day and I received the Vortex two days later. I didn't realize that there are several other retailers who sell the Vortex however, and ALL of them seem to have lower prices. I just learned that by reading through this thread. Its not clear however in some cases if they are selling the same size Vortex or not.

Comment

I have one it is a great device.

Comment

Anyone ever try one in a PBC? I was wondering if you could leverage to get a good sear using the unit?

Comment

• OGMrWhite
                    OGMrWhite commented
                    Editing a comment
                    good question, I hope someone can chime in with experience. I would guess that the distance from heat to grate is the limiting factor.

• Jerod Broussard
                    Jerod Broussard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I've not. Since I have a kettle, not at all interested in searing in the Pit Barrel. I'll put enough briquettes to low and slow some thick steaks in the PBC, then sear on the kettle.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here