Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RESOLVED: Slow and Sear Does Not Deliver on Advertised Promises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hug the lid. Find a flat surface you can set the lid on and see if it actually sits flat. When I bought my new Weber 22, SnS setup in November I couldn't keep temps below 350. Binder clips worked great but I just wanted it to work. Set my lid on a flat surface and had to push it to get it to go flat with a large 1/4 gap in one spot. Hugged the lid and it was basically sitting flat. After that I put a 60lb sand bag on top of it for a few hours and it's level as can be. Now I can hold 225 and go for a loooong time with the SnS loaded up and no binders. I can still see some smoke getting out under the lid in spots but as long as I'm holding low temps I don't care.

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Good info!

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      I learned pretty much the same method awhile back. A slight wobble in the lid when I set it on my garage floor was a dead giveaway.

phoccer Yep, I kinda did the same thing with my latest kettle about 11 years ago I guess now. It was not bad really.

People need to keep in mind about the good ole tried and true weber kettle. In it's design, it was a back yard bbq pit. Just like the one my ole dad cooked on when I was a boy, and like the one I still use today. You never saw in the old commercials back in the day cooking Mom's pot roast for 14 hours out in the sun on the thing. It's design was never to be a low and slow machine. We did that to the kettle and changed the world and that's a great thing.

Knowing manufacturing processes very well, I can understand why not all kettles are air tight, some are... They weren't really meant to be totally air tight. That's why the new Summit comes with a gasket.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      It was originally designed to deal with Chicagoland prairie wind, by keeping the coals lower, they wouldn't blow out or blow hotter.

Frenchy19 the lesson here is when things go sideways you can reach out to this community to help solve the problem. My constructive criticism is to PLEASE do that first before trashing someone's brand. That being said, we are glad you are here. And I look forward to seeing the results of your cooks. Cheers!!

Comment

• PJBowmaster
      PJBowmaster commented
      Editing a comment
      I think most of us recognized that your comments were born of frustration. We can all relate to that. Glad you came back and made it right. Looking forward to seeing some great food pics and stories about your cooking experiences. Positive or negative. Cheers!!

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes. A big thank you for adding the updated review!

• Frenchy19
      Frenchy19 commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually, the ribs turned out so good I am doing another rack today!

I agree the SnS has great service. If you have any kind of problem the owner is personally Johnny on the spot as well as the SnS owners that purchase the product. It's a very Broad support base here always willing to answer questions.

Comment

I was searching for SNS info and found this. It sounds like you experienced the same problems I did originally. Binder clips and learning how to manage air via the vents solved my problems, as they did for so many of the folks commenting above.

I spent all last year learning how to smoke using my Weber kettle & SNS. I did not want to spend $$$ on a dedicated smoker until I was sure I could get results. By the end of the season, I could smoke Tasso, which is meant to be dry, using SNS with no water and pit temps between 230 - 250 using digital grate probe. Binder clips were really the magic solution for my particular Weber. It does take some fiddling with the vents though if you run it dry. Smoke times for Tasso are short, around 4 hours, so this worked well.

I finally bought a Weber Smokey Mountain this year. Much as I love the SNS, there is no question that a dedicated smoker is more convenient for longer smoking sessions. My very first ribs were perfect on the WSM following Meathead’s & Harry Soo’s advice. My first pulled pork was damn near perfect, I just took it off the smoker at the wrong temp. This was a lesson learned for me, not a problem with the smoker.

I am planning a rib cook using the SNS this week. It’s just my wife & myself, so one rack on the kettle sounds about right. Less charcoal used and less to clean than the WSM with water pan.

TLDR: SNS is an amazing product, which lets people learn how to smoke with a minimal investment. The results are great, unlike other "cheap smoker" products out there.

Comment

I have a Weber 18” Jumbo Joe and a small SnS. Works out fantastic for cooking for 2

Comment

Someone linked these above - do they really work well? I've been dealing with leaks too (hey, it's a 15 or 20 year old 22" Weber...) and I'd rather do a good gasket solution vs clips.

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            If properly applied, and your lid is not too far out of whack, the will do the job. But you need to make sure the area where the gasket attaches to the lid is squeaky clean. If not, the adhesive will fail.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here