Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RESOLVED: Slow and Sear Does Not Deliver on Advertised Promises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RESOLVED: Slow and Sear Does Not Deliver on Advertised Promises

Using this product for the 2nd time, and there is no way this thing will keep a Weber kettle at 225. Even with half the recommended charcoal-and all vents closed-the pit will stay well above 300 unless you keep removing the lid. Learned my lesson and will be buying a dedicated smoker.

Where do you have your dampers set? Are you seeing any leaks from the lid? Removing the lid will cause the fire to kick up and get make the kettle run hot. You need to keep the dampers down and the lid on securely. Lifting the lid gives the charcoal a huge gulp of oxygen. I am sure Dave from ABC will chime in shortly to help you with anymore issues you may be having. we have a lot of member here that will be willing to help you as well. ABC has a lot of very satisfied customers, many of them are here, in the Pit.
    David Parrish
    Last edited by Spinaker; March 31, 2017, 01:20 PM.

Comment

The vents are closed, and the only way to get the temp down is to remove the lid.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        No, That will not lower the temps. That will make the dial thermometer go down because its not on the kettle. That only feeds more oxygen to the fire. So when you put the lid back on......the fire will be even hotter.

How many briquets are you lighting to start the fire? For 225 I would say no more than 12 briquets, once fully lit add extra unlit charcoal and keep dampers closed down pretty far, 1/8" lower and 1/4" upper should do the trick. Also do you have water in the SnS?

Comment

• Frenchy19
        Frenchy19 commented
        Editing a comment
        Started with 12, dampers are closed and yes, I have water in it. Right now-with half a chimney starter load of coal, the pit is at 301.

• Gooner-que
        Gooner-que commented
        Editing a comment
        How much of that is lit? 12 lit shouldn't give you that much heat, sounds like an air leak somewhere. could be the lid.

Trying to upload a pic show the pit temp at 348, but I cannot get it to load. Get the prompt: "Image upload failed because the extension of this file did not match the content." Whatever that means...

Comment

What are you measuring the temp with?

Comment

• Frenchy19
          Frenchy19 commented
          Editing a comment
          Therma Pro unit.

Leaky lid, big time.

Comment

That's interesting because with my 26 inch Weber kettle I'm able to hold the temperature down at 225 according to my digital thermometer, now if I go by the temperature gauge on the lid it says about 325 to 350

Comment

• Frenchy19
          Frenchy19 commented
          Editing a comment
          Gaff on me...With binder clips on the lid the temp is now at 226.

Okay. seems like it was a lid leak, so my apologies to ABC. I admit I have an older Weber, and it has seen its better days. Right now I literally have 17 binder clips on the lid, and the temp is dropping-was at 348, and is now at 233 and moving down.

Don't I feel like the fool? Thanks for your patience with me, and I should have known the error was on my end.

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Hooray!! Nice job Frenchy19. You hung in there and figured it out. I could feel your frustration as I read down this thread. Glad you're back on track.

• Lowjiber
          Lowjiber commented
          Editing a comment
          You're not a fool at all.

When I got my kettle/SnS combo, I was fortunate enough to have all the folks here tell me about the clips ahead of time. Without their help, I'd still be trying to keep the temps under control.

Glad you got it solved.

• tenphases
          tenphases commented
          Editing a comment
          I used the lid thermometer to measure heat. The thermometer was over the sear portion of the s&s. I had a Maverick connected but it was to late I rushed to take of the pork butt and dropped it. The kettle was at 250 the whole time lol. Luckily I abide by the 10 second rule. A little cleanup and reasoning and the pork butt went right back on!

I put a gasket on the lid of my 22.5 and the temps are steady, no binder clips needed.

Comment

Nobody's laughing, we've all made mistakes. I know I've made my fair share and I've only used my slow and sear 6 times the guys in this group here have helped me a lot.

Comment

Yeah, the Weber's lack of fit on the lids really needs to be remarked upon more. Mine leaks like a sieve and I had to get an insulated seal. The binder clips thing looks awful and is fiddly to open and close. Why's it so hard to make a grill lid that closes correctly? We shouldn't need after market accessories just to make a grill work correctly. Some people get lids that fit well and never have this problem.

Comment

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            Because the kettles are first and foremost grills, not smokers. Yes they should redesign the lip for a better fit. However, look at all those making money/having fun with modding.

Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.

Glad you were able to find the source of your air leak. We are all here to help each other.

Comment

Now that THATs all settled, would you mind updating that review you just left on our brand and shiny new website?

I'm always available by phone if you need realtime assist. Details are on our contact us page.

Comment

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm not sure if the review can be edited. Would you mind just leaving a new one and we'll delete the old one? New site and we really need to build our reviews back up.

• Frenchy19
              Frenchy19 commented
              Editing a comment
              I did leave a new comment; feel free to delete the old.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              And that is why the SNS is killing it! Service baby!

Frenchy19 I too had a learning curve with the SnS. With a little patience and practice, you will soon wonder how you ever lived without the SnS...Soon you will want the DnG and the custom Grill Grates. Not to mention he BBQ Dragon either..

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here