Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kettle and Kamado Joe accessory purchases this weekend, input is welcomed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kettle and Kamado Joe accessory purchases this weekend, input is welcomed!

Ok, so I thought I posted this earlier this AM. However, I do not see it. I screwed up somehow. Anyway, if you see that I have two posts about this same issue, I'm sorry.
    So, Im going to pull the trigger on all the nifty Kettle and Kamado accessories I've seen the past few months on AR. You can see my sig, it's up to date with my equipment. My Napoleon gasser remains in mothball hibernation in the basement where it's been for about 4 years, but I'm going to recommission it this spring for the Wife and the second observation deck I finished building last spring. I want to purchase the SnS XL for my 26 along with the DnG pan. I primarily cook for the Family (me and the wife plus 9 year old twin carnivores)....mostly larger quantities to provide leftovers the remaining week, plus I have neighbors and friends who get invited alot, so the 26 was my answer to larger crowds. Is there any difference in the function of the 26 vs 22 accessories other than fuel consumption?

I am also going to pull the trigger on the arteflame 26 griddle accessory...I just have to have that.
    My other question is about the Grillgrates, I see some have just one piece for over the coals of the SnS and others appear to have enough to cover the entire grill surface. Do I need to by this in 3-4 pieces, like 2 end pieces and center pieces? Any wisdom about this would be helpful.

I'm not sure about the BBQ guru type air controller units...if those are fairly essential please give me your opinions on those type units as well. I plan on doing longer 10-12 hour cooks on the Big Joe, but I can be convinced otherwise.
    As for my Kamado Joe Big Joe, I really dislike the cast iron charcoal grate, I much prefer the weber type charcoal grate. Is the KickAsh basket for the Big Joe a worthy investment? Is the original cast iron designed for a specific airflow...and/or do they even make one for the Big Joe?

This accessory list is fairly open to additions at this point, budget is open as well (within reason of course). I'm not much on a rotisserie or pizza oven, but otherwise, the sky is the limit. I am interested in a good pizza stone for the 26 Kettle and the Big Joe though. Please give me opinions and any insight into anything I've missed or that I should consider. I am what my wife calls a "cheap ass", so I don't usually spend money on myself. I have one bow, deer rifle, and shotgun for hunting, a no frills fishing boat, and use the same hunting clothes/boots and gear for the past 15 years. So, I don't purchase stuff often, so when I do my wife is very reasonable with agreeing to my purchases. Thanks in advance.

I think the accessories you've chosen will definitely make it easier to get superior results. Regarding the controllers, I wouldn't call them essential, but a controller provides peace of mind on long cooks and overnight cooks. No fear setting the temp and then cutting the grass, going to the store, or turning in for the night.

I use my BGE Grill Grates on my 22" kettle. Unless you need to cover the entire surface of your 26", I'd suggest getting a set for the smaller area and seeing if they are adequate for double duty. I got the 3 interlocking pieces: in for a penny, in for a pound, I say.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      I too have GrillGrates made for my large BGE but I use them on the Weber 26" too. Yes... on the Kick Ash Basket. It provides better airflow and makes shaking the Ash off of unburnt lump easier. Add a BBQ Dragon to use with both your Kamado & your Weber with the SnS.👍

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Breadhead am I understanding your post correctly?: You also use th' Kick Ash basket on yer Weber 26"?
      If so, which size, of the 8 available on their site? Also wonder which would fit my many 22" kettles, 18.5 WSM, etc.
      Thanks in advance!

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      No... on the Kick Ash Basket for both cookers. I said I use the GrillGrates and the BBQ Dragon on both cookers. I could have been more clear on the Kick Ash Basket. I use that only in the BGE. I was telling him I think the Kick Ash Basket was a good investment, just to answer his question.

For the kamado i have the cast iron griddles both halves i love them constantly being used, i have the extender rack which makes a big difference in space for doing larger cooks i have the deep dish pizza pan have not used much but it is big, wanting to try lasagna in it, grill grates not much use on the kamado most of my cooks are low and slow, pizza stone use on top of the extender rack to get it up higher. I use the cyberq which i love, it looks very confusing to set up on the instruction sheet easiest way i believe is watch the video's on how to do it stopping and pausing as you go makes it much easier, 3 food probes one pit i dont usually need more than that if i do i have a maverick and 2 dots
    The cyberq can email or send you a text if there is a temp problem or your food is done, open lid detection, ramp down option for when food is close to being done. As far as graphing it on its own does not but you can use the app The Pit Pal and it will if you think you need that. If you have any questions about any of my accessories or want pics of them feel free to ask me. Thanks Dennis

Comment

• customtrim
      customtrim commented
      Editing a comment
      KevinG all of mine are from KJ im sure there are some aftermarket items thru someone like Amazon

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I used the cast iron griddles until I got the Grill Grates. Now I use them occasionally, on top of the fire ring while making smash burgers.

• customtrim
      customtrim commented
      Editing a comment
      Mosca i use them alot as deflector plates and then to sear on them

The Kick ash basket is defiantly worth it. I use my old cast iron charcoal grates as heat pads on the table. You'll get MUCH better airflow.

Comment

You will find that your Kamado is the MUCH better pizza oven of the 2 cookers.

Trying to get and hold 500°/650° in a Weber kettle is very difficult. 500° to 1000° is easy in your Kamado. Get something that will elevate your pizza stone up above your felt line so you're baking your pizza near the built in thermometer level in your dome. Buy a IFR thermometer so you can determine the temperature of your preheated pizza stone so you know when to put your pizza in to bake.

My prefered baking temperature for pizza dough made with All Purpose or Bread flour is 650°. I bake authentic Neapolitan pizza dough made with Caputo 00 flour at 800° to 900°. They take about 90 seconds per pie.👍

The BBQ Dragon will help you get your lump pile roaring hot quickly... it's worth the money.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Kamado's are a no brainer for bread and pizza. Then there's cakes, pies and cookies. Then buy a wok and stir fry food at 800° like they do in Chinese restaurants. No cooker will sear like a Kamado if you can get your steaks within 2" of your red hot lump.👍 Baked beans too.🤔

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I've burnt off a few gaskets on the BGE doing the the high temp pizzas too, along with "volcano" steak. A few years back I just carefully adjusted the top and the hinge, and stopped bothering with the gaskets. The leakage is insignificant. I just check the hinge/top setup once a year.

• Steve Vojtek
        Steve Vojtek commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the info guys.. Appreciated

Halfmoon griddle. Elevated expander grill.

Comment

While you are splurging.... get the temp controller. Definitely not a requirement, but none of this is.

You wont need it for quicker and higher temp cooks. I have a flame boss and love it. I'm sure all the controllers will be up to the task w your gear. For my setup (large bge) I use it allll the time. Can't imagine not having it. I do know how to control the temps on the egg and hold them but it still requires maintenance as time goes on. 12 hour overnight cook? No problemo. Yesterday I cooked stuff during the day holding. 300 away from home for 4 hours monitoring it on my iPhone. Confidence. Can change temps if needed.

Pick one and get one. IMHO.

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
          Steve Vojtek commented
          Editing a comment
          Does the Flame Boss have a "learning" function to adapt to different smokers?. I'm interested...

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          There's also a PITA factor for DigiQ etc. For ribs, which might go 6 hrs, I'm not getting out the wires and the electricity, I'll monitor that. But for brisket, which represents an investment in time and money, I'm using all the resources. Reputation on the line 'n 'at, y'know?

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Mosca ... I'm lazy I use the DigiQ for ribs too.😆 I set my desired cooking temperature, 225°, put my cooking temperature thermometer 2" from the racks, close the dome and go about my daily chores. I don't worry about it for about 5 hours and then I get my tongs and take a look.

Yeah. Great points. I was on the fence with the temp controller units. Once the basics are mastered, After a while controlling the fire isn't too terribly difficult...I had my Kettles fairly figured out and then I got the KJ. There was maybe a couple cook learning curve coming from the Weber kettles but otherwise it was quite easy. That being said, I think the temp unit seems like cruise control on our cars, we all can keep our speeds steady , but it gets tedious after a while and the technology just removes a minor hassle . I guess i could convince myself that it will make multi tasking during cooks pretty much a done deal. Though, I guess I'll loose the excuse to hang out on the deck sipping bourbon and avoiding certain annoying tasks!

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Then you have to shift into monitoring your tools mode ;-)

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Well your deck furniture requires some quality control testing from time to time. Then that bourbon must be tested frequently to make sure it is not going bad on you. Your cooking rigs need some scrubbing and buffing now and then. Stuff comes up sometimes.🙀

I still hang out and do manual when I don't need to. And it isn't a matter of being proficient w manual controls. Even if you are, it's more the FREEDOM you get to leave it be and have it set dead on until you go much with it. That's really nice, and a 5 hr rib cook I absolutely use it. Power, pit probe, and fan. Whole hook up process takes about 3 mins (and I take a minute to make it look somewhat neat and orderly. Not OCD neat and orderly (not that there's anything wrong w that). Considering the time spent visitor the cooker to check and do whatever maintenance even if minimal, usually takes a lot longer than 3 mins throughout the course of a cook. And the added benefit/challenge if not needing to lift and look.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here