Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should I get??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should I get??

I have about $100 I got for Christmas and my birthday that I haven't spent yet, and I'm having trouble deciding. First off, I don't need any suggestions about me giving you the money those types of jokes aren't even good enough for tbob4 and Spinaker . My signature is basic but up to date, although I also have pit gloves, bear paws, and a 10" CI skillet. Also know that my wife will shake her head at anything on this list I choose to get, so I'd rather have it be something impressive so I can ignore the head-shaking.

So here's what I've been toying with getting, let me know what you recommend and what combo would be best:
    • Drip n Griddle pan - $70
    • Grill grates for SnS - $50
    • IR thermometer from Thermoworks sale - $33, ends today
    • Pizza stone and peel - $32 + $25 (my wife doesn't eat much pizza but I haven't tried them on the grill)
    • Digital scale - $50 (not sure my wife would let it take up room in the kitchen)
    • Good quality knife - suggestions? (I see a lot of wife head-shaking on this one)
    • Vacuum sealer - $84
    • Something else I'm not thinking of?
    Last edited by PBCDad; February 22, 2017, 04:01 PM.

Spend it on some Prime meat

Comment

I love my Grillgrates. I love my vacuum sealer. If you told me I had to get rid of one I don't know which I would chose for completely different reasons. If you don't have a SV machine, go for the Grillgrates and you will have $50 left over for some of the good knife suggestions folks will give you.

Comment

• PBCDad
        PBCDad commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmm, so I could do GrillGrates and the scale

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        How did the injected chicken turn out?

• PBCDad
        PBCDad commented
        Editing a comment
        tbob4, it turned out well but didn't go as planned. I used frozen chicken breasts that must have been injected because there were tons of holes that my injection would spurt out. So not much of my injection stayed in. Good flavor and moistness though, will try again

I would go with DWCowles suggestion in buying a really nice piece of meat say ribeye roast. Do a really nice cook for your wife complete with some of those green things people post in their pictures(not in any of mine) maybe some nice wine, do this and she just might take you out grill shopping😁

Comment

• customtrim
        customtrim commented
        Editing a comment
        PBCDad and tbob4 mine is a vegetarian so really makes it difficult to find things she will like. She does love smoked mac and cheese

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        customtrim - You must know my menu. It's Mac and Cheese for dinner tonight!

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Me personally I'm a meat and meat kinda guy. Anything else I make is to appease the wife

Kenji has endorsed the chef's knife in the link below. I bought one and really like it. I'm considering the paring knife, but I already have 4, so I don't really need it.

Comment

• Atalanta
        Atalanta commented
        Editing a comment
        I got two of them myself. Love it! Actually, BF has been using it and loves it. I'll be ordering two of the pairing knives to go with the chef knives I got from them.

I would say get a Thermoworks Smoke. Or the Drip N' Griddle.

Last edited by Spinaker; February 22, 2017, 08:54 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        I second the Smoke. It took my grilling and smoking to the next level.

Your list is excellent. Recently I've been using my GrillGrates a lot and love 'em, so I'd go with them. Currently you can get GrillGrates for the 22.5" Weber Kettle Grill for $104.99 + shipping, but if that's too much over your $100 I'd get the custom GG for the SnS.

Comment

• PBCDad
        PBCDad commented
        Editing a comment
        I saw those as well. I got my kettle and SnS at the same time and have used the SnS exclusively, so I had only been considering the custom cut ones. Is there a benefit to using the ones that cover the full kettle if I'm still using the SnS?

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker I rarely do burgers and my last ones were done with seafood on GrillGrates, but eventually I will try the DnG.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I was just curious if they still had that Grill taste, even though the don't actually touch the fire.

Out of all of these I could live without everything at the moment except for my vacuum sealer, I have been using one for several years now and don't know what I would do without it. The only thing is, it takes up some counter space real estate.

Comment

The vacuum sealer could pay for itself. Since I got mine I almost always buy more than I need especially if it's on sale. Seal it up, freeze it and you can get alot of extra meals. And it's great for leftovers too.

Comment

PBCDad the downside is the full set won't cover the entire SnS but will give you more overall grate coverage if that's what you need, which I do when cooking a lot of small food (shrimp, scallops for example) that would easily fall through the regular grate. Of course I could just foil the grate but I've already got my GGs so I use them as it's easy to slide the small food around. I sear over the SnS, move to another portion of the GGs where it's cooler (to hold them), and repeat until everything is cooked. If I'm searing larger food I use the custom SnS GGs. If my cooking grate was rusty I would leave the full set on for all my low and slow cooks too. My full set is sized for my BGE and 26" kettle, and with a panel removed also fits my 22". You may be happy with just the custom SnS GGs.

Comment

If you dont have one I would get the Vacuum sealer. I have had one for 10 years (actually on my 2nd one the 1st one still works but doesn't have any of the bells and whistles I figured out I needed) But its just me (and now mom) so I have a lot of leftovers from cooks that get Vacuum sealed and put in the freezer.

Comment

The BBQ Dragon belongs on your list of MUST have accessories...👍

Attached Files

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Haven't tried that trick yet, but it got its first use Monday when I let the fire get a little too low in the KBQ. It's a champ!

And that chimney of theirs works really, really well too!

Originally posted by GadjetGriller View Post
              If you dont have one I would get the Vacuum sealer. I have had one for 10 years (actually on my 2nd one the 1st one still works but doesn't have any of the bells and whistles I figured out I needed) But its just me (and now mom) so I have a lot of leftovers from cooks that get Vacuum sealed and put in the freezer.
              What bells and whistles? I've been thinking about one of these for a while but always seem to have other things pop up.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Vacuum sealer is a mighty fine tool to have.

bcostlow My original was a manual vacuum. Thats it. The 1 i have now has a built in roll storage with a cutter, a retractable hose that is for the zip top bags and containers (reusable vacuum seal able) and a button for dry or moist items (it heats longer for wet seals) Those are the ones important to me. your mileage may vary.

Comment

You need to create a Cooker (grill and/or smoker) Acquisition Plan and an Accessory Acquisition Plan.... it really helps with decisions like this. Prioritize, create time frames, etc... and keep it updated... A nice Excel spreadsheet works well. This also come in handy when someone asks what you want for fill in the blank holiday, event, or birthday.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Totally Ferengi!!! Very Cool!!! post th' Blank .xls, Quark!!! .zip is fine!!!

• Nate
                  Nate commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mr. Bones wish it was a blanket doc but everyone has different wants & needs. I'll see if I can figure out how to post something this weekend when I'm in front of my regular computer. Mostly though I just created categories as to what kind of cooker & what ones I may want. Prioritize where I can.

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nate Very Cool, no worries, or hurries, I can edit add delete etc., as desired. But since y'a already did some o' th' groundwork, thought I'd ask t' take advantage, timewise.
                  Thanks, Amigo!!!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here