Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SnS vs Vortex for wings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SnS vs Vortex for wings?

I really wonder which tool would work better for wings. As I understand, the SnS's water reservoir shouldn't be in use when going high heat so probably moisture would be around the same using both methods. Most of the pictures I saw on grilling wings show off the Vortex and it's central configuration. Would an SnS do a worse job here?

Maybe anyone own both gadgets and tried to do a head-to-head comparison already when preparing wings? Thanks!

What matters with wings is heat, 325+. You can get the same heat with both. But my advice is look at versatility of each device. The SnS can do humid low & slow smoking too, something the Vortex by itself cannot.

Comment

I have both. And for me, for wings, drumsticks, etc, the Vortex is hands down the winner. I have done wings with the Vortex, and with the SnS, and I like them both. But for me personally, the Vortex wins for chicken.

Comment

I also have both, and I like the Vortex better, but only for wings. The SNS wins every other cook. But the vortex rips wings almost better than anything. (Other than the KBQ, THAT thing make the best wings ever)

I set the Vortex in the middle of my KEG, then arrange the wings to the outside of the cone. Cook until they are at about 150 F then sear like hell over the jet coming out of the vortex. Then toss with your sauce of choice while the wings are still blasted with heat.

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 on what Spinaker said. Except I am using my kettle.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Can't help myself from MCS: KBQ! KBQ! KBQ! ...

Lately, my charbroil 26" grill has not seen much other action than chicken wings with the vortex. I should actually do something else on it, but that medium vortex works wonderfully on wings/thighs. The shallow draft of the kettle doesn't lend itself to use of the SNS. it's also getting very long in the tooth and with patience and persestance, i'll find a weber before spring is over.

Comment

The Vortex!

Comment

kjozsa, I have to throw my vote in with the rest of the Boys for the Vortex and Weber Kettle for Chicken Parts! Legs and Thighs in Particular!
            💰I can't afford Wings!💸
            Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	856.4 KB ID:	265446Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.93 MB ID:	265449Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	9 Size:	957.8 KB ID:	265447Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	1.08 MB ID:	265448

Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan
            Last edited by Danjohnston949; January 20, 2017, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here