Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQGaskets.com - self-adhesive gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQGaskets.com - self-adhesive gasket

Just wanted to give a thumbs up for the self-adhesive gasket material from bbqgaskets.com. After e-mailing them for suggestions for my Weber kettle, I ordered a roll of Nomex self-adhesive (I think it was the 1/2" x 1/8" x 15'). They shipped right away, priority mail. Application on the kettle lid was easy and now there's not a hint of smoke other than the vent and the former thermometer hole that now provides probe access.

No kidding. I forget how many linear inches I put on my COS. It reduced my charcoal consumption by more than 30%.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I am going to order some for my kettle

Comment

You don't need to remove the paint, but you do need to clean off any grease build up.

Comment

Yeah, some food grade degreasor does wonders. Of course, it's easier when you've only done a dozen or so cooks on it. And with 15 feet, I think I have enough to do my GOSM, which I originally did with RTV. I'm not that steady with a caulking gun, so you can imagine how much good that has done.

Comment

I might have to gasket my kettle now....and my COS all though, I'm supposed to be "getting rid of it."

Comment

Originally posted by The Burn View Post
              Yeah, some food grade degreasor does wonders. Of course, it's easier when you've only done a dozen or so cooks on it. And with 15 feet, I think I have enough to do my GOSM, which I originally did with RTV. I'm not that steady with a caulking gun, so you can imagine how much good that has done.
              Wow, I just used automotive Brake Clean and it worked great.

Comment

Do you leave a little gap for the probe wire? Or does it just seal it up around it?

Comment

Prochu - you probably could leave a gap, but I didn't have to deal with it. My Performer Silver (just an OTG with a cart) had a bi-metal thermometer in the lid, which I removed and I'm using that hole for my probes. The gasket is a felt-like material, so it wouldn't literally close up around a wire, but the probe wire may not make that much of a difference in the seal.

Comment

Ok - so I was smoking this weekend and was so curious about this exact issue. There was smoke pouring out all over the place. Through the top vents - which, ok - yeah, cool. That's where it's supposed to pour out, but curling all around where the lid meets the base. Frankly - it looked kinda cool but I was worried about how much heat it was losing. I put a hand to it, and it wasn't hot so I figured it was no big thing.

Sounds like it is a big thing though. Just went to the site. I have a weber kettle. I'm checking this out. Thanks!

Comment

Chris, you might also try some large paper clips to seal the lid of your kettle.

Comment

By paper clips, he means binder clips, also known as ACCO clips. The big ones. Didn't work for mine because the issue was some play from side-to-side, but it has apparently helped lots of people. Also dissuades you from opening the lid to peek, since you'd have to take all the clips off first

Comment

• Chris_Ryan
                          Chris_Ryan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Literally the first thing I thought of…"man, what a pain opening it up". So, it helps the cooking by keeping the smoke/heat in, and keeping ME out! I like it!

thanks guys!

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here