Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think a guru would be a nice compliment to my sns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a guru would be a nice compliment to my sns

Smoking a chuckie today while at work. Got it going bout 5am, the ol lady said she would take care of temp control when she got up and still haven't heard from her πŸ€”
    Im sure the sns is rocking steady but starting to get anxious. To avoid future anxiety i am considering a guru. Anyone on here run one with their kettle and sns?

Ha ha, do you call her Ol lady to her face? Jerod Broussard uses an auber, don't know what price diif is.
    Last edited by Powersmoke_80; August 6, 2016, 07:44 AM.

Comment

• Juddlight
      Juddlight commented
      Editing a comment
      No sir hahaha

Wait till I see her at the Christmas party, that ought to be good for a couple beers LOL!
    FYI I like Dopplebock!

Comment

• Juddlight
      Juddlight commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey be nice...lol she is a lil older than me as you know, so being a woman with a younger man, calling her "ol lady" definitely wldnt be taken as a compliment. So we'll toast with dopplebocks lol

• Fine Swine
      Fine Swine commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahh..She's a Cougar. I married one too.πŸ‘

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      Fine Swine , Yes she is LOL!

I don't have the guru but I do have the PartyQ. It does a good job at keeping the temp steady.

Comment

• Juddlight
      Juddlight commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats what im looking at...how does it operate? Do you close the vents and let the fan keep it up? Ever get too hot?

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Juddlight yes I keep the bottom vent closed all the way and no I have never had any issues with running hot.

• GilaMonster
      GilaMonster commented
      Editing a comment
      I, too, have added the BBQGuru to my kettle and SnS. I have the PartyQ, and it does a very good job (MUCH better than me!!) of keeping the kettle temperature steady. I close the bottom vents all the way, open the top vent about half, and let the PartyQ work its magic!

I just drilled my 26er for my Auber for tonight's brisket cook. ZERO worry about interference with the ash cleaning system on the 26er.

Comment

• Juddlight
      Juddlight commented
      Editing a comment
      Gonna have to make it happen cuz I want one...

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      "Want" is 9/10's of "possession" which happens to be 9/10's of the law. It really is all relative.

• GBA
      GBA commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you use the Auber on your PBC ?

I love the Party Q because it's portable (runs on batteries). Down side is having to replace the batteries at the beginning of a long cook but that's not a big deal.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      I recently bought rechargeable AA's. I'll see how they do on holding a charge over time.

• Juddlight
      Juddlight commented
      Editing a comment
      Do the batteriez die after one long cook?

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm paranoid so I always start with fresh batteries for a long cook. I've had them go at least 12 hours before, and I replaced the then because I was adding charcoal anyways (I was doing a max duration test on one load).

I have a CyberQ that I use with my kettle plus SnS. It works great. My last cook was a chuck roast @275*. It stayed between 273 and 277 once it got up to temp until I opened the kettle. It then recovered and kept that range over the approximately 5 hr cook. I dropped the lid a while back - it fell about 7' from the deck to the ground, and now it leaks fairly badly, but that did not affect temp control with the CyberQ.
    If you decide on the the CyberQ for the wifi, that works too, but the software to monitor is not the best. The Pit Pal App works great though. It saves every cook you add, and runs a graph too. You can monitor from your mobile device or computer too.

If you can hold off for a bit, the Meater is ready to come out from it's Kickstarter campaign. If the reviews are good, that might be a better option because there are no wires, and it's cheaper too.

Comment

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      We're in for a single Meater probe until we see if it works. Just wanted to limit our loss. Hoping it works and we'll be in for a 4 pack.

• thefist
      thefist commented
      Editing a comment
      Having worked in WiFi for 8yrs, call me a skeptic. A signal should "escape" through any hole, but if your phone is in the house, then at least one wall is the next obstacle. I'd say the Meater Block would be a necessity for outdoor grilling to get acceptable range. Nice idea though.

• thefist
      thefist commented
      Editing a comment
      And then there's the challenges of getting electronics to work above 100C.

Haha fineswine 🖒

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160806_135857.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	205000 and after the chuckie goes to cambro on go poppers πŸ˜‹

Comment

Juddlight, I do have a BBQ Guru DigiQ Dx2 on one of my Weber's! I really like it for Temp Control as DWCowles said you run the Bottom Vents Closed!
        I won't leave you thinking the S 'n S, Weber Combo with or without Temp Control is a set and forget Smoker! You will have to Sweep the Ashes every 1.5-2 Hrs, a minimal task when the temp is 20* F especially if you have a Maverick 732 or733 Dual Probe Thermometer!
        Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	205394 Click image for larger version

Views:	158
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	205395 Click image for larger version

Views:	123
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	205396 Click image for larger version

Views:	129
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	205397 Click image for larger version

Views:	130
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	205398

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here