Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you use a hovergrill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you use a hovergrill?

I recently bought a hovergrill. I need to cook for a lot of people at once so I need more capacity in my 22" Weber. But, after getting the thing home, I realized there's no guide on how to use the thing. You might think, "it's so easy to use that you'd have to be an idiot not to understand it" but honestly I find it's best not to go into these things with any assumptions. I used one the first time the other night on a chicken cook and discovered the following issues.

1. When laying down the first layer of meat, you have to leave empty spaces for the stands of the hovergrill to go. I figured this one out the first time I tried to put it on. Had to rearrange everything.

2. When putting the Weber's top over the side and using the included hook to hang it, it has a tendency to hook the hovergrill instead of the lip of the cooker. This almost resulted in disaster and flipped my meat onto the ground. Luckily I caught it but I kept doing it the rest of the night.

3. You can't get to the meat under the hovergrill without first moving the hovergrill. Since it is burning hot and loaded with meat, moving it out of the way to flip the meat underneath can be a challenge.

4. I thought maybe I could use the whole hovergrill, but no you still have to leave an empty space above the coals when using it together with the Slow-N-Sear. I moved it as far away as possible towards the other side of the grill to get the maximum usable space.

5. The temperature is different on the 2nd story. Need another temperature gauge.

Anyone else have any ideas about how to use this accessory more effectively?

Lost in China ... I set up my 26" Weber kettle so the top slides backwards into the wire resting device in the back of the kettle. The SnS to my right when I'm facing it. That leaves no chance of knocking meat off of the Hovergrate when opening the top.

You're correct that the meat on your bottom grate has to be strategically placed to accommodate the legs of the Hovergrate. For turning the meat on the bottom grate I use my long handle meat hook but the limited space does require skilled finesse to execute that. Sometimes I wear a silicone glove to tilt the Hovergrate to one side while I use the meat hook to turn the bottom meat too.

If I'm smoking ribs I don't turn them at all.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Breadhead; July 17, 2016, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Strategic placement is key! I use it, in the 22" Performer. I usually use it when doing a couple racks of ribs. I'll also use the hovergrill to put a rack of ribs on top, and chicken thighs underneath. The drippings off of the ribs tastes wonderful.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here