Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What direction do you run your S&S?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What direction do you run your S&S?

The instructions say to run it opposite your top vent. With the dome thermo in front, my vent is in back, so I've run the S&S across the front of my kettle. That has me reaching over top of the coals if I want to tend the meat, but on the other hand is convenient if I have to add coals or wood.

The dome thermo is really irrelevant, I could orient the top any way I want to. Do you put your S&S along the front, along the back, along the left side, or along the right side? And why did you choose what you chose?

I put my SnS on the side and drilled a hole for temp probes on the opposite side. One kettle is a mirror image of the other in case I have both fired up and want to put my small metal table (2' square) between them for my ChefAlarms. Both kettles have the hinged cooking grate. I can get to everything from the front using this setup. My dome thermometer is 180 degrees opposite the exhaust vent on both kettles, so it sits over the SnS.
    Last edited by fuzzydaddy; June 26, 2016, 01:30 AM.

Comment

I rotate (spin) my lid to be across from the SnS.

I have mostly been putting the SnS on the left as I am standing in front of the kettle. I've started to become concerned about so much heat so close to the hard plastic roller that the lid slides on, so I try to remember to put the SnS in the back, but usually on such autopilot that I forget and load it on the left. I do NOT put it in the front b/c I don't want to reach over hot coals. Been there done that once. Miff said about that.

Comment

Interesting question. I wondered about placement the first time I fired mine up.

1. My dome does not have a thermometer so I don't have to worry about that.

2. The vent is off to one side on the lid. When I put the lid on I situate that opposite from the SnS

3. You can see where the lid hangs in the picture... Not the most convenient but not in the way that much either.

4. The pictures are taken from where I would stand while tending the grill when moving food from low side to sear side.

5. My bottom vent control is facing me and easily accessible from this angle.

Comment

Mine is like Nate's, SnS on right, dome therm overtop the SnS, vent overtop the food. Easy access to both that way IMO.

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            +1^ my setup is like Huskee and Nate's.👍

• Mitchl
            Mitchl commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 same setup

Nate my setup is similar to yours except I hang the lid on the left side. In your first pic my lid would be next to the handle on side farthest from the camera.

Comment

• Nate
            Nate commented
            Editing a comment
            That would probably work better on my longer cooks since I am running probes through top vent of lid at the moment till i get a whole drilled.

Left to right. My Performer Deluxe has the lid holder on the left, so I put the SnS on that side and the vent on the right. That makes handling the meat easier. Because the lid holder is on the left, I mounted the CyberQ blower on the right. However, the lid holder causes the lid to rest at an angle that interferes with the SnS, so I normally wind up setting the lid to the side if I have to do anything with the Sns.

Comment

Okay, Nate, David Parrish, Huskee, fuzzydaddy, richinlbrg, next question.

If you were adding a DigiQ or similar to your kettle, and you ran the S&S along the right side, would you place the bottom vent under the charcoal, or under the top vent?

Comment

• richinlbrg
              richinlbrg commented
              Editing a comment
              Not going to ignore you, Mosca , but I just don't know anything about the digiQ. Sorry to wif on this.

• Nate
              Nate commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry Mosca. I too don't know much about DigiQ yet since I haven't got one YET.

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
            Okay, Nate, David Parrish, Huskee, fuzzydaddy, richinlbrg, next question.

If you were adding a DigiQ or similar to your kettle, and you ran the S&S along the right side, would you place the bottom vent under the charcoal, or under the top vent?
            I'd place the vent on the side opposite the SnS so I don't have air blowing into the ash that falls from the SnS. Works great! I love my Party Q.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
              fuzzydaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 on your setup.

Mosca, Tom, I am going to Post Pics of how I have Mounted the DigiQ-2 and Pit Viper Fan on my older Weber Performer! My S 'n S is on the Left Side of the Weber, My DidgiQ-2 Fan is Mounted on the Front RT between the Max Sweep marks Left by the Ash Sweep and down about 3/4"-1" below the Coal Grate! I have a Wire Accessory Shelf on the RT Side that hangs off of 3 Tabs onto the Kettle! The Control Panel on a Magnetic Mount Sits on the Shelf and Fan, Probes and Electrical Transformer all plug into the Control Panel! Tom one word of Caution when you close off the Vents on the Weber it is Best to Close Off the Air Control Slide on the Fan! If you don't don't it possible for Heat to be Drawn into the Fan as the Grill starves for Air! One other thing, Tom, In my application the DigiQ-2 Fan provides 100% of the Air to the Coals (bottom vents CLOSED) to assist that Air Flow I had my Furnace Man Cut a SS Baffle of 20 Ga SS Sheetmetal basically a 17 1/2" Circle with 4 1/2" Sheared Off to fit the S 'N S front edge! The Circle could have been slightly larger perhaps 18 1/4"? Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Danjohnston949
              Danjohnston949 commented
              Editing a comment
              Mosca, Tom for some Damned Reason every Since the Sight Transition I have had Nothing but Problems when Posting Pics! Tom, I am going to send you the Pics via eMail! I hope, from a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              My baffle is 18.25" and seems to be a perfect fit.

• Mitchl
              Mitchl commented
              Editing a comment
              David Parrish. This is post with null box in red letters when trying to look at the pics on both my windows 8 Lenovo tablet and iPad Air. Mitch

And when you are using the kettle without the DigiQ, you put the plug in the end of the adapter?

Comment

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep. Works great!

So I should either run the S&S along the right, and put both the top vent and the DigiQ on the left, or put the S&S in the back, and the top vent and DigiQ in front. Got it.

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              I vote for SnS on the right. The hood vents on the left with the hood thermometer right over the SnS. And the DigiQ fan on the left side.👍 I think that's how Pit Boss suggests on his website.

On my Performer, (an older one with the gas start), for slow & slow, I put the SnS in the front.

For hot and fast cooks, I put the SnS on the left hand side.

The lid vent is positioned across from the SnS, in both set-ups.

The only reason, for putting it on the left, is that it's easier to access the gas start, for the chimney starter. If it wasn't for that, I'd leave the SnS in the front.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here