Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing the Slow and Sear Pizza Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NorCalJeremy
    commented on 's reply
    I wonder if the SNS rotating grill grate would give that height needed for easier peel access?

• Koy Schoppe
    commented on 's reply
    I was more thinking about it during the stretching, pulling phase. Before the long rest in the fridge. I definitely used some when doing final shaping and for sliding off the peel.

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    +1^... Baked pizza dough will not stick to parchment paper.

• RonB
    replied
    Koy Schoppe - Think of it this way - you are not actually incorporating more flour into the dough. It sits on the surface to help with handling the dough. Just brush any excess off the top before you apply toppings. The bottom has to have something to allow the dough to slide off the peel. It can be flour or cornmeal, or parchment. But even if you use parchment, you don't want the dough to stick to that, so something is still necessary to prevent sticking. Just remember that with a wet dough, you have to act fairly quickly so that the moisture in the dough doesn't have time to make the additional flour wet and sticky.

Leave a comment:

• Breadhead
    replied

Dr ROK ... The popular 00 flour brand is Caputo. They've extracted most of the natural sugar out during processing to allow it to cook at 800° or hotter. Less sugar, less carmelization. I would use Chef Jacob's recipe for Neapolitan pizza dough. I NEVER need to modify his recipes.👍 Yes... You can use 00 flour in your current recipe.

Leave a comment:

• Dr ROK
    commented on 's reply
    Guest, I've never used 00 and it's not sold around here, so it's Amazon time. Is there a brand U recommend? Is your dough recipe the same one as the one on Stella or did you make some modifications? Also, do you think I could just substitute 00 for the bread flour in the recipe I'm using?
    Last edited by Dr ROK; August 9, 2016, 09:27 AM.

• Koy Schoppe
    commented on 's reply
    RonB I thought I should do that, but then the other part of my brain said, "you carefully weighed out all these ingredients, so be careful with how much flour you add to it now"

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    That's a great looking pie Dr ROK. I hope to take another wack at 'za this week with a setup similar to yours.

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    When we go out for pizza, (rare now), I like to watch them make the 'za. I have seen shops that keep a bowl of flour on the counter that they dip the dough ball in before stretching it out. Using lots of flour will make the dough much easier to stretch.

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    Brilliant... Add lots of wood chunks right before you put the dough on. Get flames shooting up over those bricks.👍 If you're using 00 flour.

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    Doc... Add some coal under your stone and take the temp up to 800°. Use 00 flour instead of bread flour and cook that pizza in 90 seconds.😆 That would be fun to try on a Weber kettle.👍

• Dr ROK
    replied
    Here's what my suspended ceiling will look like. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7309.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	206408

Last edited by Dr ROK; August 8, 2016, 10:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dr ROK
    commented on 's reply
    Breadhead Yes, I was happy with the leoparding on this one. Way too much char on the first couple. Stone was around 650+ on my IFH. 700+ closest to SnS.

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    Nice pizza Doc... The leoparding on the bottom is a good thing. I use a IFH thermometer to see how hot my stone is. With AP or Bread flour I like to put it on the stone at 500° to 550°. Your cooking temp might be as high as 650° at that point too. It takes your stone a while to heat up.

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    @Koy ... AP will work fine too if you're out of bread flour. BF has more protein than AP so it's easier to develop the gluten strands.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here