Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing the Slow and Sear Pizza Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Koy Schoppe let us know how you like the home depot set up. I have the SnS and stone too, so it'll be icing on the cake for me too. I'm seriously considering purchasing one if my Roccbox doesn't arrive by August 15th or so. I'm going to be selling pizza at a local concert on the 26th. I'll be using my Unni wood pellet pizza oven as my primary oven, but after about 12 pizzas or so, the ash builds up and I have to dump everything and start it back up again. That's about a 15 minute process. I'm thinking I could use my kettle during this down time and not miss a beat.

Comment

Dr ROK . After watching this video over at Stella Culinary, I think having flames curling over the top of the lid is the key to getting a good bake on the Weber. Here is a link to the video. Chef B talks about the fire around 1:30 into the video.

Comment

RonB Nice video. I know on my pellet oven that the flames shoot out along the top side of the oven over the pizza. I've watched a few of the youtube videos and read several of the rating comments for the home depot rig and they suggest throwing chunks of wood on your coals if you want to get it up to the temp needed to brown/finish the top. I'm also thinking about putting in a slab of 1/4 inch steel about 6 inches above the stone to act as a heat sink. Kenji did this as his hack on the original Pizza Kettle and it made a world of difference. I just happen to have the chunk of steel, I just need to see if it'll fit in my kettle with the Pizza Que and SnS in place. I'm really hoping my Roccbox comes in time, but I'm planning on not having it, since kickstart campaigns alway have delays.

Comment

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          Anyone got their Meater yet? smh

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          Nope, waiting on that one too ;(

1/4" steel + large diameter = heavy. You might consider having handles welded on top.

Comment

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          It is heavy, but I already have it and I'm too cheap to buy something else if I have something else that will work

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Guest ...

Just so you know. With a Kamado you can bake Neapolitan pizza in 90 seconds at 800°. That would be a high production option.🤔

Breadhead, that's just what I need, another grill/smoker. While I would love having a ceramic, my wife would kill me. Already have 3 grills (gas, charcoal, and pellet), 1 smoker, a pellet pizza oven, a brick oven I built in the back yard that I don't use cause I have all these other options, and have the Roccbox on the way. I also already have the SnS and may be buying the pizza que in the next few weeks.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          It's all about timing Doc. Like right after she makes a MAJOR shoe acquisition and is feeling a little guilty.😆

Dr ROK Breadhead had another cook with the pizza que and this time I used breadheads dough recipe. Recipe (made yesterday morning) made for a great crust! I really like the ease of use with the pizza que combined with a SNS. I just like the way the pizza que makes my kettle smile! I preheated stone in the oven while I waited for the dough to come to room temp. Once coals were ready I added them and some wood chunks. I placed a piece of foil partially over the opening with some magnets (and I have the circular burn on bottom of my foot to prove it from one that fell off when I removed the foil). I don't know if this made a difference or not but the pizza que thermometer was pegged at 900ish. Cranked out three really good pizzas. Could have done more for sure.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          How long did it take to cook a pizza?

• Koy Schoppe
          Koy Schoppe commented
          Editing a comment
          I think it was about 3 minutes per pizza they were cooking quick. The other thing I like about the pizza que set up is being able to dome the pies if needed.

Lookin' really good Koy Schoppe . What flour did you use?

Comment

• Koy Schoppe
          Koy Schoppe commented
          Editing a comment
          Good old all purpose. Nothing fancy. Had already made my dough when I noticed that breadhead said to use bread flour. Doh!

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          @Koy ... AP will work fine too if you're out of bread flour. BF has more protein than AP so it's easier to develop the gluten strands.

Had a second attempt at pizza yesterday using the firebricks to raise the stone. I started with a full chimney of fully lit coals on the main grate, got the bricks and stone in and heating whilst the second chimney of coals got going. The bricks do add a lot of thermal mass so I think next time I might do a fully lit chimney and maybe add some wood to really get it going whilst the second chimney lights.

Once the second chimney was in the SnS and some wood chunks were burning the temp was up in the mid-500s.

I also tried making dough this time. I think I need some practice. It was very sticky and I actually lost a pizza trying to get it from the paddle to the stone! Luckily I had some extra dough so I managed to get two pizzas, but it's definitely an art as much as a science!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2920.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	206080 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2919.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	206081

Comment

• Koy Schoppe
          Koy Schoppe commented
          Editing a comment
          looks good! I need practice with the dough as well. I tried to follow what they were showing on the stella culinary video, but my dough never looked or acted like his. Mine was sticky as you mentioned.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Your pizza looks great! Good color on your crust. Stretching and shaping your dough is always the last thing you learn. See the video below.

Koy Schoppe Chiefsilverback I use this recipe for pizza dough and everybody loves it. If you have a food processor this dough is quickly thrown together.

I haven't tried Breadhead's recipe, but I'm sure it's good too. If your dough is sticky, throw a little flour on it when your stretching it out.

Comment

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          Tim E, did you use bread flour? Did you weigh it or use a measuring cup?

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          When we go out for pizza, (rare now), I like to watch them make the 'za. I have seen shops that keep a bowl of flour on the counter that they dip the dough ball in before stretching it out. Using lots of flour will make the dough much easier to stretch.

• Koy Schoppe
          Koy Schoppe commented
          Editing a comment
          RonB I thought I should do that, but then the other part of my brain said, "you carefully weighed out all these ingredients, so be careful with how much flour you add to it now"

For all you guys having a difficult time handling your dough... That's normal. Learning to make the dough is pretty simple. Learning how to handle it once it's gone through the long fermentation process in your fridge is really difficult until someone demonstrates how to do it, simplifies it. Watch this video and your problems are over.👍

Comment

• Chiefsilverback
          Chiefsilverback commented
          Editing a comment
          I watched that before, and watching again now I just think I wasn't using enough flour! I used his dough recipe, should i have put it in the fridge to ferment/rise straight after kneading?

Chiefsilverback ...

The long overnight fermentation will make your dough taste better. You can mix and bake it the same day but it will not be as tasty. Yes... Mix it and develop the dough until it passes the window pane test. Then do a few stretch and folds. Then portion it into dough balls and do some tension pulls and put them in the fridge overnight... For the best results.

Comment

• Chiefsilverback
          Chiefsilverback commented
          Editing a comment
          Used 00 flour. Made the dough on Saturday and followed the Chef Burton's instructions. Mixed the ingredients, let it autolyse for 45 mins, kneaded for 8 mins (KitchenAid stand mixer), covered the mixing bowl with catering wrap and stood it down in the basement ~75* overnight.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds good. I would put it in the fridge overnight at 38° to slow down the fermentation more though. It looks really good Chief.👍

Koy Schoppe I got to try mine out tonight. Stone got to over 600 F. Was so hot the crust was charring in around 30 seconds. I had to hold the pizza up off the stone or it'd char way too much before the rest of the pizza was done. I think it was mostly because I modified the coal basket into a triangle instead of a square and added coals along the sides in addition to the coals in the SnS. Also used several apple chunks. I'll be trying it without the coal basket next time and just use the SnS to try and make the stone cook a bit cooler. I'm also going to try and do a suspended fire brick ceiling to see if I can't get some radiant heat hitting the top of the pies.

Here's a pic of the last pie, it turned out the best:

Name:	IMG_7313.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	206374

Name:	IMG_7314.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	206375

Comment

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          Breadhead Yes, I was happy with the leoparding on this one. Way too much char on the first couple. Stone was around 650+ on my IFH. 700+ closest to SnS.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Doc... Add some coal under your stone and take the temp up to 800°. Use 00 flour instead of bread flour and cook that pizza in 90 seconds.😆 That would be fun to try on a Weber kettle.👍

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a great looking pie Dr ROK. I hope to take another wack at 'za this week with a setup similar to yours.

Here's what my suspended ceiling will look like. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7309.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	206408

Last edited by Dr ROK; August 8, 2016, 10:55 PM.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Brilliant... Add lots of wood chunks right before you put the dough on. Get flames shooting up over those bricks.👍 If you're using 00 flour.

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          Guest, I've never used 00 and it's not sold around here, so it's Amazon time. Is there a brand U recommend? Is your dough recipe the same one as the one on Stella or did you make some modifications? Also, do you think I could just substitute 00 for the bread flour in the recipe I'm using?
          Last edited by Dr ROK; August 9, 2016, 09:27 AM.

Dr ROK ... The popular 00 flour brand is Caputo. They've extracted most of the natural sugar out during processing to allow it to cook at 800° or hotter. Less sugar, less carmelization. I would use Chef Jacob's recipe for Neapolitan pizza dough. I NEVER need to modify his recipes.👍 Yes... You can use 00 flour in your current recipe.

Comment

Koy Schoppe - Think of it this way - you are not actually incorporating more flour into the dough. It sits on the surface to help with handling the dough. Just brush any excess off the top before you apply toppings. The bottom has to have something to allow the dough to slide off the peel. It can be flour or cornmeal, or parchment. But even if you use parchment, you don't want the dough to stick to that, so something is still necessary to prevent sticking. Just remember that with a wet dough, you have to act fairly quickly so that the moisture in the dough doesn't have time to make the additional flour wet and sticky.

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            +1^... Baked pizza dough will not stick to parchment paper.

• Koy Schoppe
            Koy Schoppe commented
            Editing a comment
            I was more thinking about it during the stretching, pulling phase. Before the long rest in the fridge. I definitely used some when doing final shaping and for sliding off the peel.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here