Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing the Slow and Sear Pizza Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Koy Schoppe View Post
    pittkappasig I don't think he was saying he used it as a combo. He was saying he cooked pizza on a griddle and on a stone (two different stones) with little to no difference in result.
    Originally posted by martybartram View Post
    pittkappasig
    Koy Schoppe you are correct. The same cast iron used with two different stones. The stones are arguably different quality (they had different prices for sure) but they both work. My real point is that you don't need to spend $100 on a stone.
    So just to clarify, you DO use the combo, martybartram . Combo of griddle on the grate and stone on the griddle. Am I reading that right?

Kathryn

Comment

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      You are correct Kathryn. Sorry for the delayed response was on vacation in the UP of Michigan.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome back, martybartram . You've been missed!

Kathryn

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! I missed y'all too! fzxdoc

You could also do a pan pizza directly in a cast iron pan. It's in MC@H but they don't have it linked on the web, but Kenji did it as well.
    http://slice.seriouseats.com/archive...pan-pizza.html

He notes that 500* produces a better pie and 400*, and that higher temperature produces more dramatic difference. I am inclined, once my field skillet gets here, to put it to the test on the sear burner side of the Genesis. It needs a name, doesn't it?

I believe the MC folks preheat the cast iron pan, which seemed vaguely insane when I read it.
    Last edited by Potkettleblack; June 29, 2016, 11:53 AM.

Comment

New stone, followed your methods in the thread (no oak wood didn't have any mild hardwood lying around) BOOM. Pizza life changed for ever... Tried to even mimic your pics😝 Got the kettle up to like 600ish and the crack over the pie is a strong move. Thanks for the thread, I won't be getting delivery any time soon!!

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Great looking pizza. If only we could post the aroma so everyone could enjoy the smells :-)

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        fuzzydaddy - all you need is one of the new scratch and sniff monitors.

• Koy Schoppe
        Koy Schoppe commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great! I think I need to fire it up again, your pics have me craving pizza.

For all of you inspired pizza makers... As you've discovered by now, making the dough is easy peasy. What you've also learned is stretching the dough and shaping it into nice round shapes is very difficult. Well made pizza dough is like a rubber band. You try to stretch it out and as soon as you release the tension it retracts to its original shape.

My friend and bread mentor, a Master bread baker, Jacob Burton... Has produced a video of how to stretch and shape your pizza crust. Lucky us👍
      https://stellaculinary.com/cooking-v...ch-pizza-dough
      Last edited by Breadhead; July 7, 2016, 01:11 AM.

Comment

I can't wait to try this when I get setup with my new 22" kettle + SNS in a couple of weeks!

Comment

Nice Koy Schoppe ...just more proof that the Weber kettle / SnS can do the same as one of those high dollar ceramic ovens

Comment

Some stones will crack if the heat is too high, but I don't know if there is any way to tell except reading reviews. Another option is a Baking Steel. I emailed the Company the other day to ask how much heat the steel could take, (or more accurately, how much heat the coating could take), and they said 1100* F. Here is a link:

Bake the perfect homemade pizza with a Baking Steel product: a pizza stone made of ultra-conductive steel, our Baking Steel Griddles and pizza making accessories for home.

I plan on using my steel for the next pizza.

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            Potkettleblack - If you make pie dough or laminated dough, cooling your BS in the refrigerator is a great way to keep the dough from warming too quickly. I'll let you know how well it fits in the 22.5" kettle after it cools off from baking some two bite cherry pies.

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            RonB ... Laminated dough. Are we talking croissant here?

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            @Breadhed - yes, you can make an extra turn or two before having to put the dough back in the refrigerator. However, the dough is a bit longer than the steel, so you have to move the dough around some.

Had my first go tonight, forgot to close the top vent, so that something for next time, but more important I need practice with the dough, lots of tears and now my stone looks like a war happened on it! Here's the 'obligatory' through the crack pic of pizza 1. Pizza 2 sat on the counter for too long, got stuck and became a rustic calzone when I crushed it into a ball in frustration and chucked it on the stone, wasn't too bad after baking for 15 mins!
          Attached Files

Comment

Was at Home Depot this weekend and had a moment heavy MCS when I saw the PizzaQue. For 69 bucks couldn't pass it up. New coderite stone and extra pizza peel were merely icing on the cake as my main goal was to eliminate the lid balancing act. Last nights pizza turned out great. Tonight's was a bit frustrating. I went to turn my pizza and it was too soon, and I ended up pushing it onto the coals! In the scramble to get it off coals I pretty much destroyed it. Rookie move. But once done it still tasted good. Even the homemade cheese stuffed that the kids wanted turned out ok. Kids were happy so it was a success.

Comment

• JDenver
              JDenver commented
              Editing a comment
              @Koy_Schoppe, I ended up buying it too. I didn't have a stone or peel, so for $69 for everything it seemed like a decent deal. Tonight I broke it in and the pizzas turned out pretty good. Just another meal I can work to master.

Before my next go at this I'm trying to think of a good method for raising the stone so it's flush with the rim of the kettle. Using a cast iron griddle doesn't seem like it would get the stone high enough, and I thought about using my skillet, but I think it could end up taking the seasoning off. Now I'm thinking about getting two pieces of angle iron to lay perpendicular to the main cooking grate, a second grate on top of the angle and then the stone....

Comment

Thought about fire bricks?

Comment

I thought about using firebricks too. If you are not worried about additional thermal mass, two or four bricks should do it. If one brick on opposite sides is stable enough, that would be all you need. If not stable enough, then one on each side should do it. I'd place them as far apart as possible to expose as much of the stone as possible to the heat.
              I've had a Pizza Kettle for several years, but never used it much. After reading how Kenji modified it, (Thanx Dr ROK ), I'm going to try that setup since I already have all the parts.

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
                I thought about using firebricks too. If you are not worried about additional thermal mass, two or four bricks should do it. If one brick on opposite sides is stable enough, that would be all you need. If not stable enough, then one on each side should do it. I'd place them as far apart as possible to expose as much of the stone as possible to the heat.
                I've had a Pizza Kettle for several years, but never used it much. After reading how Kenji modified it, (Thanx Guest ), I'm going to try that setup since I already have all the parts.
                I'm not worried about stability as much as the stresses on the stone, having the 'load' on two or four small contact areas.

I'm thinking about doing a run with one chimney of ashed coals going on the charcoal grate, bricks and stone in and let that all heat nicely whilst a second chimney of coals ashes over for the SnS. Once that's in it will be time to start stretching and topping...

Comment

Thanks Breadhead, I thought about a hover grill but I think both might lift the stone too high. I picked up some firebricks for $2.50 each so stay tuned for an update...

Comment

DOH! Makes perfect sense!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here