Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing the Slow and Sear Pizza Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really like it!!!!

Comment

Nice work Koy!

Comment

Fired it up again last night, its such an easy and quick way to get great pizza. No pictures this time, got to busy feeding the hungry kids.
        I had some dough I had made based on troymeister 's recipe with a little baking powder added a la Strat50 . Good crust.
        And thanks to Breadhead for the parchment paper idea, worked like a charm.
        and Thunder77 , my pizza stone is solid black now as well, oh well...

I ran out of pizza sauce, so last bit of dough I had got loaded up with fathers day leftovers to make a pork belly and roasted vegetable calzone. That's my dinner tonight!

Comment

Nice Job! One question - what did you use to prop open the kettle top? I'm definitely going to try this with my new SnS.

Comment

I didn't use anything. I found it would stay balanced by itself as long as I didn't make the opening too big. 2 inches max probably. Sometimes it took a little bit to find the balancing point.

Comment

That looks great, thanks for sharing. I'm going to try that technique myself sometime.

Comment

Ok, so I saw this at Home Depot...

I may have to get this to perfect my set up, eliminating the balancing act for the lid. Only$70, and I get a new pizza stone...

​Hi Breadhead , my name is Koy, and I have MCS....

Comment

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                I wouldn't bother. You want the lid as close to the pizza as possible to keep the heat as close as you can. I'd either use a block or two of wood to hold the lid up or use a piece of wire and a hook to hold it up if your kettle has a lid holder.

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                Another thought, (and it didn't hurt too much... ). If you want another stone, consider the Baking Steel:

Bake the perfect homemade pizza with a Baking Steel product: a pizza stone made of ultra-conductive steel, our Baking Steel Griddles and pizza making accessories for home.

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                Koy... Your post made it very obvious you have MCS.👍

RonB the baking steel is definitely on my wish list, if for nothing else than making smash burgers on the grill. WRT the pizza que kit, i read through the comments and several mentioned being able to maintain 700+ degrees for an hour on single load of coal/wood. Heck I could get the Pizza que, and the baking steel, and still be significantly below what I was contemplating spending on the Kettlepizza or the Uuni 2s.

#MCS

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                #MCS ... You got it bad.👌

• Dr ROK
                Dr ROK commented
                Editing a comment
                @Koy Schoope, if you have GrillGrates, try flipping them over and making smash burgers. Works like a charm.

Koy Schoppe, your initial post really has me thinking about pizza on the grill. Something I want to try very soon. I was thinking about the Pizzakettle, but the price scared me and I read Meathead's review saying it didn't make the pizza any better or easier than just on the grill. The other day, I saw the PizzaQue at HD for the first time. It looks like it solves a couple of things you mentioned - not having to balance the lid and raising the stone. Plus, it comes with a stone and a paddle as well as being considerably less expensive than the Pizzakettle.
              Later that day, I did a search on AR to see if anyone reviewes the PizzaQue and it brought me back to your thread because apparently you saw the PQ not long before I did! I may pull the trigger on one relatively soon. I'll post an update once I do.

Comment

• Koy Schoppe
                Koy Schoppe commented
                Editing a comment
                Reviews of the PQ were quite good on Amazon. But I would highly recommend trying the method I used first, and then see if you think you need the PQ. The balancing act works quite easily, and the stone can be raised other ways.

I might have missed it because there's a lot of comments on this thread but what's the brand on the stone? Mine stinks... PBC puts out a decent Za but I'm struggling with the SnS and straight kettle.

Those pics... 😳😛🤔

This site has already ruined such restaurants as Capital Grille, every burger joint, Mexican, Portguese, BBQ, chicken places and pretty much everywhere we eat... Except coal fired pizza, I can't get a handle on it!

Comment

• martybartram
                martybartram commented
                Editing a comment
                you are preheating the stone, correct?

pittkappasig On my 22" weber with SNS I use a cast iron griddle on the cooking grate and have used two different stones without any difference. The first is a Pampered Chef stone that we have had for 20+ years and the other is a pizza stone we picked up for a song at Cracker Barrel. This last cook I put charcoal in the SNS and on the charcoal grate and it sped things up for me considerably. I use lump on the charcoal grate because it burns hotter. I put KBB in the SNS for consistency. Here is that post https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...a-on-the-grill

Comment

• pittkappasig
                pittkappasig commented
                Editing a comment
                Read the post, going to try the cast iron griddle/stone combo. Any insight into the logic behind that move? Does the griddle hkd more heat to pass thru to the stone.

pittkappasig I don't think he was saying he used it as a combo. He was saying he cooked pizza on a griddle and on a stone (two different stones) with little to no difference in result.

Comment

pittkappasig There are two reasons for using the cast iron. The first is to act as a heat shield between the direct heat and the stone. The direct heat may approach 900+ degrees depending on how close it is and I do not want to test the capabilities of the stone, have it fail, and suffer SWMBO's wrath (she's a redhead). Second, the cast iron diffuses the heat in the stone so you get even temperatures and no hot spots. It retains heat as well so as your coals die you will get consistent temperatures.
                Koy Schoppe you are correct. The same cast iron used with two different stones. The stones are arguably different quality (they had different prices for sure) but they both work. My real point is that you don't need to spend $100 on a stone.

Comment

• martybartram
                  martybartram commented
                  Editing a comment
                  BTW I think I am required to buy her replacement stones because she claims I ruined one with Habanero Death Dust and the other smells like smoke. I told her biscotti is better with a little bite of heat LOL. I am headed to the store now.

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I emailed the people at Baking Steel the other day to ask what temp their steel could take and they said 1100* F. So my next kettle pizza will be on the Baking Steel.

The cast iron idea is brilliant!

Comment

• martybartram
                  martybartram commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I most definitely learned that from this forum!

• David Parrish
                  David Parrish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We're brilliant!

That is just a great idea

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here