Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing the Slow and Sear Pizza Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing the Slow and Sear Pizza Oven

Decided to fire up the kettle and SnS in pizza oven mode again. Works so good. Here's the set up:
    Full chimney of briquettes poured into the SnS once they ashed over. Let pizza stone warmup in grill 20 minutes with lid on and vents wide open, plus added oak logs on top of coal. Then added pizza, and cracked open the kettle opposite the fire and closed the top vent to get heat flowing over the pizza and out crack in front. Took about 5 minutes tops per pie. Delicious!

Dang man that is somethin' else..... 5 minutes??.....my kind of cooking if I ain't smoking something for 15 freaking hours.

Comment

Dang! Now you spoiled my fun!

Comment

Nice pizza pies Koy Schoppe ...

That was a great idea the way you lifted the lid to add airflow and put that big chunk of wood on to increase the cooking temperature.👌

Comment

• Koy Schoppe
          Koy Schoppe commented
          Editing a comment
          I put the thermapen through the top vent and it maxed out at 570. Was getting some good heat!

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Creative... Getting 570° in a Weber kettle for that long is a feat!

Koy Schoppe THAT SIMPLY ROCKS!!!

Comment

Now that's what you call great patio pizza! Congrats and kudos to you!

Comment

Koy Schoppe , Brilliant! I'm going to have to try this. Excellent post! --Ed

Comment

• Medusa
              Medusa commented
              Editing a comment
              Bookmarked this thread under "Techniques" in my Favorites

Hmmmmm - looks like I need to make pizza for Father's Day.

Two questions Koy Schoppe - How long did you maintain that temp? How many pizzas could you do before adding more charcoal/wood?

Comment

• Koy Schoppe
              Koy Schoppe commented
              Editing a comment
              I only did two pizzas (it was just me and the kids), then shut down the kettle. I still have a full bank of coals in there. I think I could have done a lot more. I could easily keep adding logs to the back to cook for a lot longer.

GREAT job! Creative!
            Pizza looks scrumptious!

Comment

Wow! Pizza looks awesome and thanks for sharing your method!

Comment

Nice job! One question, do you heat your stone on the direct or indirect side?

Comment

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You might want to use 1 of the briquette baskets that came with you kettle under your pizza stone. Just a thought.👍

• David Parrish
                  David Parrish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes it's a good idea to get some heat under the stone.

• SteveFromLafayette
                  SteveFromLafayette commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks guys!

Koy Schoppe Those photos shot between the rim and the lid lip of the kettle should go into the SnS Hall of Photo Fame. David Parrish

They're beatiful.

What a great idea for patio pizza. Congrats!

Kathryn

Comment

Only change I would make would be to raise the stone a bit. The grate and thus the stone is a little bit below the lip and my first pizza was a messy disaster (although still quite tasty) because I couldn't get the peel under it.

Also, meant to mention that i did rotate the pizzas during the cook. At the half way point and then some more at the end.

I have been debating on what I wanted for Father's Day this year and was trying to decide between the Pizzakettle with baking steel, or an Uuni 2s. I think I successfully scratched that itch last night and saved myself some serious dough .

Comment

• Steve R.
                    Steve R. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Breadhead is it actually ok to use the parchment paper at 600+ degree temps in this setup? The roll I have in my pantry right now says safe to 420. Or is there another grade of paper out there? This is all new to me, so just checking.

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Steve R. Worrying about any liability potential I'll say this. Try this at your own risk.😎

Having said that... I will say I've used parchment paper at 650° to 800° at least 50 times, being diligent to trim the paper so NONE of it is exposed to direct heat and I've NEVER had a problem.

• NorCalJeremy
                    NorCalJeremy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I wonder if the SNS rotating grill grate would give that height needed for easier peel access?

After pizzas were done, it was movie time. In the pool! All around great night. It's 9:30am now and my kids are still sleeping!

Comment

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Way cool.

• Tim E
                    Tim E commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice setup! Sounds like a great night.

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Kids sleeping until 9:30am is heaven for mom and pops...😆

That crust has the perfect amount of char, it looks fantastic!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here