Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing the Slow and Sear Pizza Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koy Schoppe
    commented on 's reply
    looks good! I need practice with the dough as well. I tried to follow what they were showing on the stella culinary video, but my dough never looked or acted like his. Mine was sticky as you mentioned.

• Chiefsilverback
    replied
    Had a second attempt at pizza yesterday using the firebricks to raise the stone. I started with a full chimney of fully lit coals on the main grate, got the bricks and stone in and heating whilst the second chimney of coals got going. The bricks do add a lot of thermal mass so I think next time I might do a fully lit chimney and maybe add some wood to really get it going whilst the second chimney lights.

Once the second chimney was in the SnS and some wood chunks were burning the temp was up in the mid-500s.

I also tried making dough this time. I think I need some practice. It was very sticky and I actually lost a pizza trying to get it from the paddle to the stone! Luckily I had some extra dough so I managed to get two pizzas, but it's definitely an art as much as a science!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2920.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	206080 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2919.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	206081

Leave a comment:

• Koy Schoppe
    commented on 's reply
    Good old all purpose. Nothing fancy. Had already made my dough when I noticed that breadhead said to use bread flour. Doh!

• RonB
    replied
    Lookin' really good Koy Schoppe . What flour did you use?

Leave a comment:

• Koy Schoppe
    replied
    Dr ROK Breadhead had another cook with the pizza que and this time I used breadheads dough recipe. Recipe (made yesterday morning) made for a great crust! I really like the ease of use with the pizza que combined with a SNS. I just like the way the pizza que makes my kettle smile! I preheated stone in the oven while I waited for the dough to come to room temp. Once coals were ready I added them and some wood chunks. I placed a piece of foil partially over the opening with some magnets (and I have the circular burn on bottom of my foot to prove it from one that fell off when I removed the foil). I don't know if this made a difference or not but the pizza que thermometer was pegged at 900ish. Cranked out three really good pizzas. Could have done more for sure.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    It's all about timing Doc. Like right after she makes a MAJOR shoe acquisition and is feeling a little guilty.😆

• Dr ROK
    replied
    Breadhead, that's just what I need, another grill/smoker. While I would love having a ceramic, my wife would kill me. Already have 3 grills (gas, charcoal, and pellet), 1 smoker, a pellet pizza oven, a brick oven I built in the back yard that I don't use cause I have all these other options, and have the Roccbox on the way. I also already have the SnS and may be buying the pizza que in the next few weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    Guest ...

Just so you know. With a Kamado you can bake Neapolitan pizza in 90 seconds at 800°. That would be a high production option.🤔

• Dr ROK
    commented on 's reply
    It is heavy, but I already have it and I'm too cheap to buy something else if I have something else that will work

• Dr ROK
    commented on 's reply
    Nope, waiting on that one too ;(

• David Parrish
    commented on 's reply
    Anyone got their Meater yet? smh

• RonB
    replied
    1/4" steel + large diameter = heavy. You might consider having handles welded on top.

Leave a comment:

• Dr ROK
    replied
    RonB Nice video. I know on my pellet oven that the flames shoot out along the top side of the oven over the pizza. I've watched a few of the youtube videos and read several of the rating comments for the home depot rig and they suggest throwing chunks of wood on your coals if you want to get it up to the temp needed to brown/finish the top. I'm also thinking about putting in a slab of 1/4 inch steel about 6 inches above the stone to act as a heat sink. Kenji did this as his hack on the original Pizza Kettle and it made a world of difference. I just happen to have the chunk of steel, I just need to see if it'll fit in my kettle with the Pizza Que and SnS in place. I'm really hoping my Roccbox comes in time, but I'm planning on not having it, since kickstart campaigns alway have delays.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    Dr ROK . After watching this video over at Stella Culinary, I think having flames curling over the top of the lid is the key to getting a good bake on the Weber. Here is a link to the video. Chef B talks about the fire around 1:30 into the video.

Leave a comment:

• Dr ROK
    replied
    Koy Schoppe let us know how you like the home depot set up. I have the SnS and stone too, so it'll be icing on the cake for me too. I'm seriously considering purchasing one if my Roccbox doesn't arrive by August 15th or so. I'm going to be selling pizza at a local concert on the 26th. I'll be using my Unni wood pellet pizza oven as my primary oven, but after about 12 pizzas or so, the ash builds up and I have to dump everything and start it back up again. That's about a 15 minute process. I'm thinking I could use my kettle during this down time and not miss a beat.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here