Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

Introducing the Slow and Sear Pizza Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fzxdoc
    Founding Member
    • Jul 2014
    • My toys:
      Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center (WSCGC) aka Mr. Fancypants
      Pit Barrel Cooker (which rocks)
      Weber Summit S650 Gas Grill
      Weber Kettle Premium 22"
      Weber Jumbo Joe Premium 22" (a weird little 22" kettle mutant on 22"-long legs) (donated to local battered women's shelter.)
      Camp Chef Somerset IV 4-burner outdoor gas range

Adrenaline BBQ Company's SnS, DnG and Large Charcoal Basket for WSCGC
      Adrenaline BBQ Company's Elevated SS Rack for WSCGC
      Adrenaline BBQ Company's SS Rack for DnG
      Grill Grate for SnS
      Grill Grates: five 17.375 sections (retired to storage)
      Grill Grates: six 19.25 panels for exact fit for Summit S650 gasser
      2 Grill Grate Griddles
      Steelmade Griddle for Summit gas grill

Fireboard Extreme BBQ Thermometer Package
      Fireboard control unit in addition to that in the Extreme BBQ Package
      Additional Fireboard probes: Competition Probes 1" (3) and 4" (1), 3 additional Ambient Probes. 1 additional Food Probe
      2 Fireboard Driver Cables
      Pit Viper Fan (to pair with Fireboard Fan Driver Cable)
      Pit Viper Fan new design (to pair with Fireboard Fan Driver Cable)
      Thermoworks Thermapen MK5 (pink)
      Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 (pink too)
      Thermoworks Temp Test 2 Smart Thermometer
      Thermoworks Extra Big and Loud Timer
      Thermoworks Timestick Trio
      Maverick ET 73 a little workhorse with limited range
      Maverick ET 733
      Maverick (Ivation) ET 732

Grill Pinz
      Vortex (two of them)

Two Joule Sous Vide devices
      VacMaster Pro 350 Vacuum Sealer
      Instant Pot 6 Quart Electric Pressure Cooker
      Instant Pot 10 Quart Electric Pressure Cooker
      Charcoal Companion TurboQue
      A-Maze-N tube 12 inch tube smoker accessory for use with pellets

BBQ Dragon and Dragon Chimney

Shun Classic 8" Chef's Knife
      Shun Classic 6" Chef's Knife
      Shun Classic Gokujo Boning and Fillet Knife
      Shun Classic 3 1/2 inch Paring Knife

Originally posted by Koy Schoppe View Post
    pittkappasig I don't think he was saying he used it as a combo. He was saying he cooked pizza on a griddle and on a stone (two different stones) with little to no difference in result.
    Originally posted by martybartram View Post
    pittkappasig
    Koy Schoppe you are correct. The same cast iron used with two different stones. The stones are arguably different quality (they had different prices for sure) but they both work. My real point is that you don't need to spend $100 on a stone.
    So just to clarify, you DO use the combo, martybartram . Combo of griddle on the grate and stone on the griddle. Am I reading that right?

Kathryn

Comment

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      You are correct Kathryn. Sorry for the delayed response was on vacation in the UP of Michigan.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome back, martybartram . You've been missed!

Kathryn

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! I missed y'all too! fzxdoc
  • Potkettleblack
    Club Member
    • Jun 2016
    • Beautiful Downtown Berwyn
    • Grill: Grilla Original / Weber Genesis EP-330 / OK Joe Bronco Drum
      Thermometers: Thermapen / iGrill 2 / Fireboard
      For Smoke: Chunks / Pellet Tube / Mo Pouch
      Sous Vide: Joule / Nomiku WiFi (RIP Nomiku)
      Disqus: Le Chef - (something something something) - it changes

You could also do a pan pizza directly in a cast iron pan. It's in [email protected] but they don't have it linked on the web, but Kenji did it as well.
    http://slice.seriouseats.com/archive...pan-pizza.html

He notes that 500* produces a better pie and 400*, and that higher temperature produces more dramatic difference. I am inclined, once my field skillet gets here, to put it to the test on the sear burner side of the Genesis. It needs a name, doesn't it?

I believe the MC folks preheat the cast iron pan, which seemed vaguely insane when I read it.
    Last edited by Potkettleblack; June 29, 2016, 11:53 AM.

Comment

• pittkappasig
      Former Member
      • Jul 2014
      • Pittsburgh PA

New stone, followed your methods in the thread (no oak wood didn't have any mild hardwood lying around) BOOM. Pizza life changed for ever... Tried to even mimic your pics😝 Got the kettle up to like 600ish and the crack over the pie is a strong move. Thanks for the thread, I won't be getting delivery any time soon!!

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Great looking pizza. If only we could post the aroma so everyone could enjoy the smells :-)

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        fuzzydaddy - all you need is one of the new scratch and sniff monitors.

• Koy Schoppe
        Koy Schoppe commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great! I think I need to fire it up again, your pics have me craving pizza.
    • Breadhead
      Banned Former Member
      • Jul 2014

For all of you inspired pizza makers... As you've discovered by now, making the dough is easy peasy. What you've also learned is stretching the dough and shaping it into nice round shapes is very difficult. Well made pizza dough is like a rubber band. You try to stretch it out and as soon as you release the tension it retracts to its original shape.

My friend and bread mentor, a Master bread baker, Jacob Burton... Has produced a video of how to stretch and shape your pizza crust. Lucky us👍
      https://stellaculinary.com/cooking-v...ch-pizza-dough
      Last edited by Breadhead; July 7, 2016, 01:11 AM.

Comment

• Chiefsilverback
        Former Member
        • Jul 2016
        • Peterborough, NH

I can't wait to try this when I get setup with my new 22" kettle + SNS in a couple of weeks!

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't forget that a pizza steel is an effective alternative to a stone. My wife is the pizza maker in the family. She switched to a steel over a year ago and her poor stone has been in storage ever since.

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          MH recommends corderite, and I agree. I have a ceramic stone as well, and I like the corderite better.

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          good link here:
          http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_gu...zza_tools.html
      • DWCowles
        Founding Member
        • Jul 2014
        • Smiths Grove, Ky
        • Hi, my name is Darrell. I'm an OTR truck driver for over 25 years. During my off time I love doing backyard cooks. I have a 48" Lang Deluxe smoker, Rec-Tec pellet smoker,1 Weber Genesis 330, 1 Weber Performer (blue), 2 Weber kettles (1 black and 1 Copper), 1 26" Weber kettle, a WSM, 8 Maverick Redi Chek thermometers, a PartyQ, 2 SnS, Grill Grates, Cast Iron grates, 1 ThermoPop (orange) and 2 ThermoPens (pink and orange) and planning on adding more cooking accessories. Now I have an Anova sous vide, the Dragon blower and 2 Chef alarms from Thermoworks.

Nice Koy Schoppe ...just more proof that the Weber kettle / SnS can do the same as one of those high dollar ceramic ovens

Comment

• RonB
          Club Member
          • Apr 2016
          • Near Richmond VA
          • Weber Performer Deluxe
            SNS
            Pizza insert
            Rotisserie
            Smokenator 1000
            Cookshack Smokette Elite
            2 Thermapens
            Chefalarm
            Dot
            lots of probes.
            CyberQ

Some stones will crack if the heat is too high, but I don't know if there is any way to tell except reading reviews. Another option is a Baking Steel. I emailed the Company the other day to ask how much heat the steel could take, (or more accurately, how much heat the coating could take), and they said 1100* F. Here is a link:

http://www.bakingsteel.com/

I plan on using my steel for the next pizza.

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            Potkettleblack - If you make pie dough or laminated dough, cooling your BS in the refrigerator is a great way to keep the dough from warming too quickly. I'll let you know how well it fits in the 22.5" kettle after it cools off from baking some two bite cherry pies.

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            RonB ... Laminated dough. Are we talking croissant here?

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            @Breadhed - yes, you can make an extra turn or two before having to put the dough back in the refrigerator. However, the dough is a bit longer than the steel, so you have to move the dough around some.
        • Chiefsilverback
          Former Member
          • Jul 2016
          • Peterborough, NH

Had my first go tonight, forgot to close the top vent, so that something for next time, but more important I need practice with the dough, lots of tears and now my stone looks like a war happened on it! Here's the 'obligatory' through the crack pic of pizza 1. Pizza 2 sat on the counter for too long, got stuck and became a rustic calzone when I crushed it into a ball in frustration and chucked it on the stone, wasn't too bad after baking for 15 mins!
          Attached Files

Comment

• Koy Schoppe
            Charter Member
            • Feb 2015
            • Greensboro, NC
            • Name:
              Koy

​Location:
              Greensboro, North Carolina

Grills:
              22" Weber + Slow N Sear
              Pit Barrel Cooker

Thermo's:
              iGrill 2
              Thermopop

Drinks:
              Mainly beer, preferably local: Karbach, Southern Star, Lone Pint, and anything else made in Texas!

Cooks for:
              Wife, 2 kids (9 & 5), 2 doodle dogs, and whoever smells the smoke and comes on over

Was at Home Depot this weekend and had a moment heavy MCS when I saw the PizzaQue. For 69 bucks couldn't pass it up. New coderite stone and extra pizza peel were merely icing on the cake as my main goal was to eliminate the lid balancing act. Last nights pizza turned out great. Tonight's was a bit frustrating. I went to turn my pizza and it was too soon, and I ended up pushing it onto the coals! In the scramble to get it off coals I pretty much destroyed it. Rookie move. But once done it still tasted good. Even the homemade cheese stuffed that the kids wanted turned out ok. Kids were happy so it was a success.

Comment

• JDenver
              JDenver commented
              Editing a comment
              @Koy_Schoppe, I ended up buying it too. I didn't have a stone or peel, so for $69 for everything it seemed like a decent deal. Tonight I broke it in and the pizzas turned out pretty good. Just another meal I can work to master.
          • Chiefsilverback
            Former Member
            • Jul 2016
            • Peterborough, NH

Before my next go at this I'm trying to think of a good method for raising the stone so it's flush with the rim of the kettle. Using a cast iron griddle doesn't seem like it would get the stone high enough, and I thought about using my skillet, but I think it could end up taking the seasoning off. Now I'm thinking about getting two pieces of angle iron to lay perpendicular to the main cooking grate, a second grate on top of the angle and then the stone....

Comment

• David Parrish
              Founding Member - Pit Boss Emeritus
              • May 2014
              • Charlotte, NC
                • Slow 'N Sear Kamado (SnSK)
                • Lots of grills that work with Slow 'N Sear
                • LOTS of digital thermometers (my fav)
                • LOTS of accessories
                • Favorite Beer - Fat Tire
                • Favorite Bourbon - Woodford Reserve
                • Favorite White Wine - Cakebread Chardonnay
                • Favorite Red Wine - Yes, Please
                • President/Owner - SnS Grills

Thought about fire bricks?

Comment

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                They would act as additional thermal mass. So they would slow down the heating process, but once hot would help stone maintain heat.

• Chiefsilverback
                Chiefsilverback commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks like 6 9"x4" firebricks will cost about $16 and should give a nice 1.5" lift to the stone, so I might pick some up on my way home...

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                This is a good device to rise your pizza stone up higher... Simple too.
                https://www.amazon.com/Grill-Dome-GE...ag=amazi0a8-20
            • RonB
              Club Member
              • Apr 2016
              • Near Richmond VA
              • Weber Performer Deluxe
                SNS
                Pizza insert
                Rotisserie
                Smokenator 1000
                Cookshack Smokette Elite
                2 Thermapens
                Chefalarm
                Dot
                lots of probes.
                CyberQ

I thought about using firebricks too. If you are not worried about additional thermal mass, two or four bricks should do it. If one brick on opposite sides is stable enough, that would be all you need. If not stable enough, then one on each side should do it. I'd place them as far apart as possible to expose as much of the stone as possible to the heat.
              I've had a Pizza Kettle for several years, but never used it much. After reading how Kenji modified it, (Thanx Dr ROK ), I'm going to try that setup since I already have all the parts.

Comment

• Chiefsilverback
                Former Member
                • Jul 2016
                • Peterborough, NH

Originally posted by RonB View Post
                I thought about using firebricks too. If you are not worried about additional thermal mass, two or four bricks should do it. If one brick on opposite sides is stable enough, that would be all you need. If not stable enough, then one on each side should do it. I'd place them as far apart as possible to expose as much of the stone as possible to the heat.
                I've had a Pizza Kettle for several years, but never used it much. After reading how Kenji modified it, (Thanx Dr ROK ), I'm going to try that setup since I already have all the parts.
                I'm not worried about stability as much as the stresses on the stone, having the 'load' on two or four small contact areas.

I'm thinking about doing a run with one chimney of ashed coals going on the charcoal grate, bricks and stone in and let that all heat nicely whilst a second chimney of coals ashes over for the SnS. Once that's in it will be time to start stretching and topping...

Comment

• Chiefsilverback
                  Former Member
                  • Jul 2016
                  • Peterborough, NH

Thanks Breadhead, I thought about a hover grill but I think both might lift the stone too high. I picked up some firebricks for $2.50 each so stay tuned for an update...

Comment

• Meathead
                    Administrator
                    • May 2014
                    • Chicago area
                    • Remember, no rules in the bedroom or kitchen
                      Meathead

DOH! Makes perfect sense!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
                    Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
                    See more
                    See less
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Meat-Up in Memphis

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
                    The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
                    The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                    The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                    The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
                    The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
                    We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
                    Stylish and Affordable
                    Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
                    Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
                    A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
                    Webers™ Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
                    GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
                    The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
                    This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175� to 350�F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
                    A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
                    FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
                    Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
                    Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order