Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing the Slow and Sear Pizza Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr ROK
    replied
    Koy Schoppe I got to try mine out tonight. Stone got to over 600 F. Was so hot the crust was charring in around 30 seconds. I had to hold the pizza up off the stone or it'd char way too much before the rest of the pizza was done. I think it was mostly because I modified the coal basket into a triangle instead of a square and added coals along the sides in addition to the coals in the SnS. Also used several apple chunks. I'll be trying it without the coal basket next time and just use the SnS to try and make the stone cook a bit cooler. I'm also going to try and do a suspended fire brick ceiling to see if I can't get some radiant heat hitting the top of the pies.

Here's a pic of the last pie, it turned out the best:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7313.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	206374

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7314.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	206375

Leave a comment:

• Koy Schoppe
    commented on 's reply
    I think it was about 3 minutes per pizza they were cooking quick. The other thing I like about the pizza que set up is being able to dome the pies if needed.

• Dr ROK
    commented on 's reply
    Tim E, did you use bread flour? Did you weigh it or use a measuring cup?

• Dr ROK
    commented on 's reply
    How long did it take to cook a pizza?

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    Sounds good. I would put it in the fridge overnight at 38° to slow down the fermentation more though. It looks really good Chief.👍

• Chiefsilverback
    commented on 's reply
    Used 00 flour. Made the dough on Saturday and followed the Chef Burton's instructions. Mixed the ingredients, let it autolyse for 45 mins, kneaded for 8 mins (KitchenAid stand mixer), covered the mixing bowl with catering wrap and stood it down in the basement ~75* overnight.

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    Chiefsilverback ... Did you use the 00 flour in that recipe?

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    Your pizza looks great! Good color on your crust. Stretching and shaping your dough is always the last thing you learn. See the video below.

• Breadhead
    replied
    Chiefsilverback ...

The long overnight fermentation will make your dough taste better. You can mix and bake it the same day but it will not be as tasty. Yes... Mix it and develop the dough until it passes the window pane test. Then do a few stretch and folds. Then portion it into dough balls and do some tension pulls and put them in the fridge overnight... For the best results.

Leave a comment:

• Chiefsilverback
    commented on 's reply
    I watched that before, and watching again now I just think I wasn't using enough flour! I used his dough recipe, should i have put it in the fridge to ferment/rise straight after kneading?

• Breadhead
    replied
    For all you guys having a difficult time handling your dough... That's normal. Learning to make the dough is pretty simple. Learning how to handle it once it's gone through the long fermentation process in your fridge is really difficult until someone demonstrates how to do it, simplifies it. Watch this video and your problems are over.👍

Leave a comment:

• Tim E
    commented on 's reply
    I tried this serious eats dough recently and found that it was sticky and hard to work with. Used alot of flour to work with it. Maybe that is normal? I dont know I am new to the whole dough thing...

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    Maybe Chef Jacob Burton can coach you up on handling that dough.👍

• Chiefsilverback
    commented on 's reply
    I used this one: https://stellaculinary.com/recipes/b...an-pizza-dough

Maybe it's just learning to work it, but it just sticks!?!? Admittedly I didn't have an pam!

• Dr ROK
    replied
    Koy Schoppe Chiefsilverback I use this recipe for pizza dough and everybody loves it. If you have a food processor this dough is quickly thrown together.

I haven't tried Breadhead's recipe, but I'm sure it's good too. If your dough is sticky, throw a little flour on it when your stretching it out.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here