Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does covering the charcoal grate, when using a SnS do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does covering the charcoal grate, when using a SnS do?

I see that some folks are covering their charcoal grates with custom cut SS, or aluminum foil, in conjunction with the SnS.

I understand that this forces air over the coals. Other than forcing air through the coals, for searing, is there any other advantage to this?

Thanks!

Foil will also help to catch drippings. I turn it up a bit around the edges to in effect make a drip pan when cooking pork butts and it works great. When I'm done and the weber has cooled down I can carefully fold it up and remove, which makes for less grease-gunk cleanup on the bottom.

Comment

I've started using foil on the charcoal grate recently and like the fact that it keeps the juices from dripping on the grate and burning - makes cleanup easier.

Comment

The foil is mainly to catch drippings. Any help it gives airflow is minor and barely noticeable.

Comment

• CeramicChef
          CeramicChef commented
          Editing a comment
          There you have it straight from the guy who invented the SnS. Nicely done, David Parrish! Question answered!

I added the ss baffle because I am a control freak and wanted to control the air flow. If you decide to do this, you may have to close down the vents a bit - especially if you have a fan under the baffle.

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
          I added the ss baffle because I am a control freak and wanted to control the air flow. If you decide to do this, you may have to close down the vents a bit - especially if you have a fan under the baffle.

And if your fan controller does not have a "lid off" indicator make sure when you take the lid off for more than a minute to cut the fan off. Otherwise the fan will go into high speed trying to get your temps back up (which isn't gonna happen since the lid is off) and next thing you know your low and slow fire is at Warp 11.

Comment

It's a HUGE help with drippings and cleanup.

Comment

Thanks everyone.!

I've been using Weber kettles for over 30 years, and have always used foil for indirect cooks, similar to fuzzydaddy, where you turn up the edges. I use so much foil, I should buy stock in Alcoa!

My question, was mainly for it's use with the SnS.

I see that there is no real advantage, (for me anyway), into sticking a piece of stainless on the charcoal grate.

BTW, I'm a new member, and I really, really love this board. Everyone is friendly, informative, and quick to answer questions.

Thanks, again!

Comment

Originally posted by Skinsfan1311 View Post
                Thanks everyone.!

I've been using Weber kettles for over 30 years, and have always used foil for indirect cooks, similar to fuzzydaddy, where you turn up the edges. I use so much foil, I should buy stock in Alcoa!

My question, was mainly for it's use with the SnS.

I see that there is no real advantage, (for me anyway), into sticking a piece of stainless on the charcoal grate.

BTW, I'm a new member, and I really, really love this board. Everyone is friendly, informative, and quick to answer questions.

Thanks, again!
                I use an arm-spread of the wide foil, fold it in half, and tuck it down with the edges curled up to seal the area and form fit it. Admittedly I don't change it as often as I should, but I still go through quite a bit so hear you on foil use. I like buying it at Sam's, you get two BIG rolls of the heavy duty Reynold's foil bundled together for a decent price considering how much you get.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post

I use an arm-spread of the wide foil, fold it in half, and tuck it down with the edges curled up to seal the area and form fit it. Admittedly I don't change it as often as I should, but I still go through quite a bit so hear you on foil use. I like buying it at Sam's, you get two BIG rolls of the heavy duty Reynold's foil bundled together for a decent price considering how much you get.
                  I do something similar. I'm OCD about it. Seriously We buy the Kirkland,(Costco brand).

You think I use, abuse, and waste aluminum foil? You should see me with paper towels and plates!

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I grew up in a house where we ripped paper towels in halves or quarters for small messes. My mom would freak if she saw me prepping ribs, and the p-towels I use for the task.

I don't Believe RonB or I intended to Start a Family Food Fight (Feud)? My rational for the SS Baffle and its Use with the S 'n S, Weber Kettle and the BBQGURU DigiQ-2! First and Foremost I Can't Stand Aluminum Foil, my fumble fingers won't tear is from the roll! Second the Baffle directs all of the Air Provided from either the Bottom Vents or the DigiQ-2 directly to the Coals in the S 'n S! Third by directing all incoming air in this manner I feel IMHOP that I have More Stable Temps Accross The Grill! That's My Story and I'M Stick'n Two It? Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Craigar
                    Craigar commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm right with you on the stable temps, especially when the ambient temps are well below 30 with the winds are blowing over 20 mph. Just typical winter weather on the plains.

Should the foil cover the entire charcoal grate , including under the SNS? Or just In the low heat side under the food? We assume the above info is still true.

(why yes, we DID search for an old but possibly still relevant topic to pose this question)

Comment

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No no - just the area NOT under the SNS. The indirect area. Under the SNS would block airflow to the charcoal.

• Dadof3Illinois
                    Dadof3Illinois commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Like jfmorris stated, just the side not covered by the SnS. IMO for a couple reasons, it makes for and easy cleanup but it also helps to force the air up through the SnS which helps maintain even temps.

I have always used the SNS drip n griddle covered in foil over the charcoal grate whenever using the SNS. Works for me just like it was meant to be.

Comment

I use a cheap pizza pan I got from the Chef Store in town and cut it down to fit just on the exposed grate. I then put foil on it for easier cleanup. That way I can take it in and out easily when not using the SNS.

Comment

• Philotius
                      Philotius commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Brilliant!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here