Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just bought a grill.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DawgsFan34, Welcome to The Pit! I agree with LA Pork Butt, I cooked on our 22.5" Weber Performer, S 'n S, and DigiQ-2 Temp Control Yesterday! Dry Brined the Butt for 24 Hrs then Put Rub on and on the Grill to Smoke @10:45 AM @5:45 PM, Temp Stalled @195* F. Took it off the Grill onto a rack and pan and into the oven @375* F for 1 Hr, Butt Temp was 203* F, removed from Oven onto a Platter and Pulled It! Not Perfect but Pretty Damned Good! Note: The DigiQ-2 Temp Control is Not a Necessity but I find it Very Convenient! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Welcome to The Pit DawgsFan34 . We're glad you're here.

Comment

OK, as you explore various recipes from other sites, cookbooks, etc., you will see the famous instruction: "Heat a grill to Medium High.."

WTF does that mean? Here's some info ... Also, check out what MH has to say about resting meat.

-- Ed

Comment

DawgsFan34 Welcome to the Pit. We are glad that you've decided to join us!

Comment

Seems logical to look here for specifics:

SnS Grills is the leading provider of high-quality BBQ charcoal inserts and grills. Our inserts and grills are perfect for backyard barbecues, camping trips, tailgating or any outdoor adventure. From beginner to championship BBQ-ing we have a solution for your small batch smoking and grilling needs. We help you BBQ!

and Same site BBQ techniques. can't go wrong, That is what I use. Just saying

Comment

Okay, I don't mean to disparage anyone here because it's all good advice but a lot of it is from an advanced point of view.

To my way of thinking you need one more thing, a Thermopop instant read thermometer that can be had for less than 30 bucks. It'll tell you the internal temperature of anything you're cooking within a second or two.

Beyond that just familiarize yourself with two basics, two zone cooking and Meatheads reverse sear. That's really all you need to know for now in order to put out some food that you'll think is unbelievable. If you really get into it then you can dive into the more detailed stuff. For now though it's not rocket science, just simple cooking on the grill. Down the road though you'll discover that the things you can do with a chunk of meat might actually rival rocket science. Take it slow and enjoy it!

Comment

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                Well said!

• Craigar
                Craigar commented
                Editing a comment
                Like I tell the kids, it is like horseshoes and hand grenades...close is good enough and don't sweat the details.

Welcome to the Pit! (what's a Dawg?)

Comment

Comment

Welcome to the pit!! Get a chimney and some weber starter cubers. Don't ever use match light charcoal or starter fluid ever!!!! I would also get Kingsford blue bag charcoal and use it until you're getting fairly consistent temps, then. if you must, start trying other charcoal. For BBQ I found the ST Louis ribs from Costco were the easiest for learning. They don't take all day to cook and you get quicker feedback on how they taste. There is also no wrapping involved if you follow Meatheads' method!!The best thing to do is to keep it simple to start with, then get complex as your confidence grows!!

Comment

+1^

Greasy - that's very good advice. Don't forget the Slow n Sear!

Comment

Nice to have another Dawg fan on board. Welcome. Read as much as you can on here. Following processes and procedures exactly at first - once you learn your way around your cooker and your tastes, start experimenting all you want. Lots of great advice to be had here. Go Dawgs, in Kirby we trust!

Comment

• DawgsFan34
                        DawgsFan34 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks for the warm welcome, and GO DAWGS. I will def, be following all the tips and instructions to the T.

Welcome DawgsFan34 !

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here